Can I Sell My Condo From The Uk

Hi there

I would like to sell my condo in Jomtien but am based in the UK.

Do I need to be in Thailand to do this or can I rely on a reputable lawyer/agent to do this remotely.?

If so , any reccomendations would be really helpful

thanks a lot!

You can give someone power of attorney to sell your condo, but finding anyone reliable might be easier said than done.

Personally I wouldn't have much faith in anyone involved with property here, and in the event of a buyer being found I would fly over for a couple of days to take care of the sale myself.

Watch out for scams relating to the sale price also. Absent vendors are very susceptible to these.

I recently purchased a condo from someone based in the UK and he refused to give power of attorney to anyone in Thailand for reasons Darrel states. He used a broker to find buyer and we concluded contract signing via express mail but I had to wait 2 months till he returned to Thailand for transfer at land office.

Ask yourself if you are willing to give someone here power of attorney for you property and funds from sale. Its best to do the transfer and receive funds at time of transfer in person.

You could have the cheque for the sales price made out to your specific bank account number so it cannot be desposited elsewhere.

Indeed. But if you have given power of attorney to someone to sell on your behalf then he/she can accept just about any form or payment he/she wants, or indeed no payment at all.

I see no obvious and reliable way you could enforce the cheque being made out in any particular way.

Edited by Darrel

Well, there must be so many lonely hermits here, if you dont have a single friend that you can trust.....what kind of life do some people have.

There's a huge difference between trusting friends and trusting agents/lawyers.

Well, there must be so many lonely hermits here, if you dont have a single friend that you can trust.....what kind of life do some people have.

And we are talking about how people who are not living in Thailand can sell property. They may have only used the condo for holidays and never lived there, or they may have moved back several years ago and first now decided to sell.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

And we are talking about how people who are not living in Thailand can sell property. They may have only used the condo for holidays and never lived there, or they may have moved back several years ago and first now decided to sell.

Sophon

Yes but the OP isnt as negative, bitter and twisted about property in Thailand as some others are that dont miss a chance whatever the topic is to debase anyone involved in property

• Like 1

Yes but the OP isnt as negative, bitter and twisted about property in Thailand as some others are that dont miss a chance whatever the topic is to debase anyone involved in property

Indeed. Perhaps that's because the OP doesn't live here and isn't up to speed.

There probably are some trustworthy lawyers and real estate agents in Pattaya; it's just that the odds against finding one of them are probably higher here than in the West.

thanks for your replies! I bought the condo last year and am very pleased with it; But I dont really intend going back so often and just dont want it sitting there doing nothing.

Ive found renting it out remotely to be less than easy and so after being approached by a Russian agent I intend to offload it. The agent said I would have to come over to complete the sale and judging by the feedback maybe its the best thing to do!

Ive found renting it out remotely to be less than easy and so after being approached by a Russian agent I intend to offload it.

Russian agents may well be able to achieve the best price at the moment. I'm constantly amazed by how much Russians here will pay for crap products that I wouldn't pay half the amount for, both for purchases and especially rentals.

That said, I would never consider letting just one agent advertise and attempt to sell/rent any property of mine in any country. This is the way to get soundly ripped-off. Get several agents on to it and always negotiate the commission down. If the agent doesn't want to negotiate just get another. Pattaya is crawling with them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is thaivisa; people don't even trust their own wives and relatives, let alone their friends. they are mostly very paranoid.Of course there are some exceptions.

Ive found renting it out remotely to be less than easy and so after being approached by a Russian agent I intend to offload it.

Russian agents may well be able to achieve the best price at the moment. I'm constantly amazed by how much Russians here will pay for crap products that I wouldn't pay half the amount for, both for purchases and especially rentals.

That said, I would never consider letting just one agent advertise and attempt to sell/rent any property of mine in any country. This is the way to get soundly ripped-off. Get several agents on to it and always negotiate the commission down. If the agent doesn't want to negotiate just get another. Pattaya is crawling with them.

But Russians buying abroad have a lot of cash to get rid of. Better to overpay in Pattaya than have the authorities back home confiscate your money. Most people who make money in Russia seem desperate to invest it out of the country where they consider it to be safe.

But Russians buying abroad have a lot of cash to get rid of. Better to overpay in Pattaya than have the authorities back home confiscate your money. Most people who make money in Russia seem desperate to invest it out of the country where they consider it to be safe.

That may indeed be the reason.