A Uk Old Age Pension For My Thai Mrs?

If you check the link in my first post you will see that people working and earning below the LEL are given automatic credits, much in the same was as registered unemployed are given credits whilst registered even if not entitled to benefits.

I don't believe this to be the case.

While registered as unemployed you get NI payments made.

While working below the NI minimum wage, you get nothing (unless you pay yourself).

I used to do seasonal work and the rules were.

Only months where I earned over 400UKP were liable to NI payments.

Any year in which I earned 2000UKP, by adding all VALID months pay, gave me a full NI contribution for that year.

At the end of each year I would ask how much extra I needed to pay for a full years contribution.

See how confusing it all is!!!!

Think 7by7 is right and perhaps someone in the know will be along soon.....

From the link,

No NICs are actually payable but a notional Class 1 NIC is deemed to have been paid in respect of earnings between LEL and PT to

protect contributory benefit entitlement.

However I will add that this can be a complex area and the OP would be advised to make his own enquiries in writing to establish his wife's status in relation to state pension. Just found this which re-enforces my point thta it is complex.

Effect on your entitlement to state benefits

Reduced rate Class 1 National Insurance contributions don't count towards 'contributory benefits' like the basic State Pension and bereavement benefits. So if you’ve chosen to pay these (when an employee) or not to pay Class 2 contributions (when self-employed) you won't normally be able to claim benefits based on your own contributions record. However, you may still be able to get some benefits based on your husband's (or your late husband's) contributions.

However I will add that this can be a complex area and the OP would be advised to make his own enquiries in writing to establish his wife's status in relation to state pension. Just found this which re-enforces my point thta it is complex.

The OP did that, the OP got bugger all back, so the OP came here :-)

And the OP aint all that clever so the OP agrees in full....its bleedin complex and you need a degree to navigate it all.

• Like 1

Guest jonzboy

I'm afraid I am going to muddy the waters even more.

As has been already established, Alan,'s wife will be entitled to basic stae pension based on Alan's contributions, as things currently stand. However, the UK Govt is currently working on some extensive changes to pensions. Exactly what the details are is still unclear, but we are led to believe that these changes are imminent, I.e. next year or so. The main change proposed is that each individual will have to qualify for the basic state pension, so, in my reading of this, no more reliance on a partner's NI contributions.

I advise anyone in Alan 's position to arrange for their spouse to start making voluntary NI contributions ASAP, with the aim of reaching the magic 30 years before retirement age. My wife is caught in this quandary too. She can buy back Class 3 for six years but cannot start the process of making any voluntary payments until she has been resident in UK for three years.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/future-pension-reforms/state-pensions

However, the UK Govt is currently working on some extensive changes to pensions. Exactly what the details are is still unclear, but we are led to believe that these changes are imminent, I.e. next year or so.

I advise anyone in Alan 's position to arrange for their spouse to start making voluntary NI contributions ASAP,

Yes - the proposal was specifically set out in the Queen's Speech to Parliament earlier this month, so likely to become law as long as the UK coalition government survives and there is any way out of the double-dip recession we are currently in.

But, as you say, best to start making voluntary NI contributions now so that she can qualify for the £140 per week (uplifted) flat rate pension.

http://www.theactuar...n-reform-plans/

The BBC has made this point about the proposals:

"The self-employed, and some women, are also likely to benefit, as National Insurance rules have meant they have tended to get a lower state pension."

But we'll have to see what pans out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18005946

Edited by paully

The OP did that, the OP got bugger all back, so the OP came here :-)

And the OP aint all that clever so the OP agrees in full....its bleedin complex and you need a degree to navigate it all.

Not the whole picture - he asked HMRC, The Benefits Agency and Citizens Advice Bureau. Most of his questions should have been addressed to the Pensions Section of DWP, but I am surprised these other agencies didn't direct him there and just left him unanswered.