Freelance Proofreading Work

Hi,

I am moving to Thailand this year and will be looking for freelance proofreading work. I will be moving to Chiang Mai.

Does anybody know how easy work will be to pick up and can anyone give me any tips or possible companies to contact.

I am both qualified and experienced.

Thanks

It is possible to do freelance translation, are you fluent in a second language (doesn't have to be Thai)?

That's my aim (to become fluent in Thai) but it might take a while!!!!!

doesnt pay much ,guys on the BKK post doing PR get little.

Not good news!!!!! May have to rethink my plan!

My point was, you don't have to speak Thai, as long as you know two other useful languages.

Go to www.global-report.com, scroll all the way down and go to 'contacts' and 'job opportunities'.

I interviewed with them a while ago, maybe not a career but a decent part-time job. :D

I don't know about salary but they let you work from home, so this could work from Chiang Mai

Good luck, don't change your plans, you won't regret it :o

My point was, you don't have to speak Thai, as long as you know two other useful languages.

Go to www.global-report.com, scroll all the way down and go to 'contacts' and 'job opportunities'.

I interviewed with them a while ago, maybe not a career but a decent part-time job. :D

I don't know about salary but they let you work from home, so this could work from Chiang Mai

Good luck, don't change your plans, you won't regret it :o

Unfortunately I'm a typical 'Brit' - Only really speak English and whatever I learnt at school!!!! I now see the error of my ways!!!

Had a look at the website though and looks v. useful - maybe there's something else out there for me.

Thanks for your help :D

Hi,

I am moving to Thailand this year and will be looking for freelance proofreading work. I will be moving to Chiang Mai.

Does anybody know how easy work will be to pick up and can anyone give me any tips or possible companies to contact.

Thanks

There is one English language weekly newspaper in ChiangMai. The pay would be very, very poor, I'm sure, but it it might at least be worth a try. Run Google for an address.

I doubt you would find any steady source of freelance proofreading work in ChiangMai. A couple of guys do that kind of work in Bangkok, but even here they have to do other things as well in order to piece together a living.

Dont be put off by these negative replies, rachele - they seem to think the world of proof-reading ends with newspapers.

My experience is that there is a real gap in the market to help both Thai-located western corporates and leading thai companies to prepare quality english language brochures, client newsletters etc. I've seen brochures by leading global banks with appalling English and littered with mistakes - understandable because they are produced by Thais. I think there's a fortune to be made in this area.

Another example. My firm employs 4-5 farang whose sole job is to review and - where necessary - re-write the English language letters / opinions / reports produced by our (Thai) lawyers before they are sent to clients.

I reckon that anyone with more than a smidgeon of intelligence and the ability to write a decent sentence in English can make a very good living here.

I reckon that anyone with more than a smidgeon of intelligence and the ability to write a decent sentence in English can make a very good living here.

I reckon that there are a lot of English teachers here with free time on there hands who have not stumbled upon this treasure throve and would love to hear more. Believe a number of them can actually write a fairly decent sentence in English if they try.

Hi,

Thanks

proof read my book if you want (seriously), unfortunately, i can't pay you anything.

steve

I think the trick is to find work that pays well enough to be worth the trouble. One might bid on a job and find that the back-and-forth necessary to determing what the writer meant to say can take a while - particluarly with academic/technical writing.

The other issue is face. In Thailand "face" is often more important than reality.

When I see common grammar errors in signs, etc., here, I think, "okay, so you avoided editing to save face once, and now you loose face a thousand times when people read the poor English". But folks here don't see it that way. It can be hard to deal with this sensitive issue, as I found out while exploring the possibility of editing the writing of the president and others in a university PR department.

Editing/proof reading may be harder than you think.

Hi,

Thanks

proof read my book if you want (seriously), unfortunately, i can't pay you anything.

steve

....and that pretty well sums up the problem you will encounter here doing freelance proofreading work.

I don't think proofreading is a goldmine. I do agree that it ought to be, since the English in countless publications is truly appalling. Reasons why lack of editing and proofreading are not seen as problems (my experience):

1. Mai pen rai (same same but different English farang understand no problem.)

2. Money/face (a Thai person who has a degree will usually be employed to produce the communication in English, and no native speaker of English will be consulted. [too expensive/could mean this Thai person loses face].

Hi Rachele,

I work for a company based in Chiang Mai and we may have work for you. The work we do is predominantly for travel based web sites which are heavily content based, and so there are a lot of online articles being written, some of which may require proofreading from time to time. All of the work we do is in the English language, no Thai language skills are required.

I can't guarantee you work, but I'd say there's a fairly good chance we may be able to chuck some work your way, as long as you can be relied upon. Pay would be perfectly adequate for a typical Chiang Mai lifestyle.

I don't deal with copy writers or proofreaders directly, but I could put you in touch with my boss if you're serious about doing this, he'd then be able to tell you more about the possibility of work, size of workload, etc. When do you think you'll be moving to Chiang Mai?

Please post again or PM me for more details. Best of luck with everything,

Dan.

Hi Rachele,

I work for a company based in Chiang Mai and we may have work for you. The work we do is predominantly for travel based web sites which are heavily content based, and so there are a lot of online articles being written, some of which may require proofreading from time to time. All of the work we do is in the English language, no Thai language skills are required.

I can't guarantee you work, but I'd say there's a fairly good chance we may be able to chuck some work your way, as long as you can be relied upon. Pay would be perfectly adequate for a typical Chiang Mai lifestyle.

I don't deal with copy writers or proofreaders directly, but I could put you in touch with my boss if you're serious about doing this, he'd then be able to tell you more about the possibility of work, size of workload, etc. When do you think you'll be moving to Chiang Mai?

Please post again or PM me for more details. Best of luck with everything,

Dan.

I would be interested in some PR work on a part time basis. I'm a freelance web designer based in Thailand (Kanchanaburi) and am always on the look out for extra work. I have excellent English language skills and have written for over 35 websites, mainly travel based projects.

Please PM me or post with further details (contact address etc.)