Morning Sun Or Afternoon Sun And Top Floor? View Talay 5

Cobrabiker

I am interested in this View Talay 5 condo, the side with the evening sun can have beautiful view of sunset behind the ocean, but I have never stayed in a condo with morning or afternoon sun, I was wondering the side with the afternoon sun is it very much hotter than the morning sun side? So what is your pick?

As for top floor, I had stayed once before with the water tank on top, so it wasn't hot at all, and how to find out above the unit whether there is water tank? I beleive without the water tank, it will be like oven, will appreciate feedback from those who have the above experiences.

Just walk up to the roof via the fire escape to see what is above your unit. Or look from a distance at ground level. Or go to the top of VT7 and look from there. VT5 has a fairly large structure in the middle for the elevators etc but most of the rest of the roof is open.

One advantage of the top floor is that you will never hear people line-dancing in the unit above you, but your aircon electric bill will probably be higher. And if the roof starts leaking you will be the first to know.

As for the morning/evening sun it depends on the time of year. On the Jomtien side you get the morning sun coming in which can make the unit hot earlier in the day whilst the Pattaya side will stay cooler until late afternoon when, as you suggest, the setting sun will stream right into your unit. That can get really hot, but it doesn't last long.

Units in VT5 currently have way overpriced asking prices (there's a surprise), so dont pay too much. I looked at a reasonable 20th floor Jomtien-side unit very near the front of VT5C last year at 2.4M and I wouldnt want to pay more than that on that side. I might pay a couple or three hundred thousand more for a nice unit near the front on the Pattaya side, but no more.

Edited by Darrel

I have quite a few friends in the various VT buildings. Most on the South side end up installing shades or outside awnings to keep the sun out. Not really necessary on the other side. The south side stays hot a good part of the day....and thus is somewhat unusable.

BUT! Let's move this over to the Pattaya forum and see what others have to say.

I have spent several years living in both sides of VT2 buildings and find the Pattaya side so much cooler, during the winter months the sun does not hit the balconies of the Pattaya side.

Also the louvered front doors that allow air to flow in VT2 condos are not allowed in VT5 (so I have been told) ? I always found no need for Air-con on higher floors in VT2 Pattaya side with balcony window open and louvered front door, just a few fans going. The Jomtien side was like an oven at times

Also the louvered front doors that allow air to flow in VT2 condos are not allowed in VT5 (so I have been told) ?

Correct. Only standard door fronts are allowed in VT5. Even if you want a steel replacement door fitted it has to be made to match the original door.

Seems excessively pedantic to me.

Firstly, thanks all for your inputs, as a matter of fact, I just came back seeing a few units in VT5, and this was exactly what the agent told me, the one facing the afternoon sun side is cooler as you only get about 2 to 3 hours, I guess I will get the unit with the afternoon sun, the Pattaya side, I wish there is high floor in 5c for 2.4m, like what Darrel pointed out, but most are asking 3m up, and even 5d, also high price, around 2.8m, prices have gone up, seems like every new listing is trying to break the previous high, maybe should wait and see whether Europe's problem is getting worse.

VT7 is even higher, but was told there are units left and can buy straight from developer, but agent said it is noisy due to the bar there, any experience? Well, actually also considering VT6, near Central Mall, but I think it is noisy and too much exhaust gas from cars so opted out.

Edited by Cobrabiker

VT7 is even higher, but was told there are units left and can buy straight from developer, but agent said it is noisy due to the bar there, any experience?

Not aware of any great bar noise problem, unless perhaps you are on a very low floor. Depends how sensitive you are I suppose.

Yes, there are shells still available in farang name from the builder but the only studios are in the two columns nearest the two "wings". All those units are completely crap as you can see directly into the larger units on the "wings" from there, and of course they can see straight back. It might suit exhibitionists or peeping toms. Luckily there are hardy any people living in the "wing" units and probably never will be as they are so badly designed.

VT7 is even higher, but was told there are units left and can buy straight from developer, but agent said it is noisy due to the bar there, any experience?

Not aware of any great bar noise problem, unless perhaps you are on a very low floor. Depends how sensitive you are I suppose.

Yes, there are shells still available in farang name from the builder but the only studios are in the two columns nearest the two "wings". All those units are completely crap as you can see directly into the larger units on the "wings" from there, and of course they can see straight back. It might suit exhibitionists or peeping toms. Luckily there are hardy any people living in the "wing" units and probably never will be as they are so badly designed.

Thanks for your opinion, so 5c is still the best bet? The center of 5C is slightly block by another condo, and also it is blocking away the sunset, so I guess will not be so hot, but you will missed the view for sunset. So have you bought one already? Or you have any good deal to recommend?

I am on the south side of VT7. I can hear distant bar music ocassionally but it usually ends early and it is not troublesome. What is very bothersome is the fireworks during the high-season into the wee hours of the morning.

What is very bothersome is the fireworks during the high-season into the wee hours of the morning.

I had the most fantastic time over the holiday period watching the fireworks along the bay from inside my condo. Loved every second of it.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Thanks for your opinion, so 5c is still the best bet? The center of 5C is slightly block by another condo, and also it is blocking away the sunset, so I guess will not be so hot, but you will missed the view for sunset. So have you bought one already? Or you have any good deal to recommend?

It's all subjective and up to the individual buyer really. Personally I doubt I would want anything in VT5C unless it was near the front and well past the Grand Condotel which as you say blocks the view for 75% of the units on that side. Or if the price was sensibly low. I saw a nice unit on about the 7th floor last year on the Jomtien side; no proper view but only 1.8MB which was reasonable. As far as I know it was sold and immediately put back on sale for about 2.5MB, where it still is.

asking price and what they actually get offered are two different things, problem here is that previous owners paid way over the top for their condo's and when trying to sell think they will get at least what they stupidly paid for it - the condo market here is falsly inflated

Are the Pattaya side units cooler even May-August (ie now) or so, when the sun is rising/setting more in the North? I would also think the prevailing breeze would help cool the Jomtien side more.

I would suggest going into one of the Pattaya side units right now, and in the afternoon when the sun is out. That is about as intense as the sun rays combined with sun angle will get all year (=may/june), so if it seems doable, then you are good to go.

Edited by meand

I am on the south side of VT7. I can hear distant bar music ocassionally but it usually ends early and it is not troublesome. What is very bothersome is the fireworks during the high-season into the wee hours of the morning.

Which floor are you in? If it is higher, do you think still can hear the music?

It's all subjective and up to the individual buyer really. Personally I doubt I would want anything in VT5C unless it was near the front and well past the Grand Condotel which as you say blocks the view for 75% of the units on that side. Or if the price was sensibly low. I saw a nice unit on about the 7th floor last year on the Jomtien side; no proper view but only 1.8MB which was reasonable. As far as I know it was sold and immediately put back on sale for about 2.5MB, where it still is.

High floor in front past the condo are asking for 3m+, the agent told me 3.6m this morning, well for this price, I could buy one above 20th floor in VT6. Well lots of them are asking for the sky, do you think it is reasonable if it is 3m?

I'm not an owner in Thailand but I have lived in VT 2 before and I used to go to the other VT's alot looking at prices. If it was me, I'd rent and keep your eyes out and make friends and contacts. I saw some nice units. I know VT 2 is not your interest but like I said, I used to go to the others alot to look at the bulletin boards and try to meet people. The risk in my view at this time is much higher to buy than rent. The is a counter risk of prices rising but I'd say the risk is lower to rent. If your going to live there then who really cares, just be sure to get what you like.

Hi Sunseek, Since I already have a house in east Pattaya, so I won't not want to rent, but I agree with you this is a good option. But I also agree with you that now the price is too high, maybe wait for a few months and see how it goes, Euro crises does not look too good, so maybe it will drop, worth the gamble.

Edited by Cobrabiker

Well lots of them are asking for the sky, do you think it is reasonable if it is 3m?

I would not pay 3M for any studio unit in VT5C unless it had a perfect view that could never be obscured by any other building. So it would have to be within 5 or 6 units of the front of the building on the Pattaya side, and on a high floor. Even then I would probably not be happy about that price.

Yours is apparently not in this group.

I have some friends who live in another building. You are right about the breeze. The prevailing wind is from the Bang Saray area. The friends on that side of the building great a fantastic breeze pretty much all year. My friend on the other side don't. In the VT buildings, you can just open your door though and should get a good breeze...though you might be getting smells from other units? I use to get that in my unit in NYC.

I have some friends who live in another building. You are right about the breeze. The prevailing wind is from the Bang Saray area. The friends on that side of the building great a fantastic breeze pretty much all year. My friend on the other side don't. In the VT buildings, you can just open your door though and should get a good breeze...though you might be getting smells from other units? I use to get that in my unit in NYC.

Can you be more specific? The side with breeze all year round is the morning sun side or the afternoon sun side? I would also like to have a unit like your friend's with breeze all year round. Well, VT5 is also breezy when the door is opened, but not sure whether it is whole year round, any body lives there maybe can share some thoughts here.

Because of their shape the VT buildings all catch the available breeze, even on very still days.

Personally I detest it when people leave their front doors open and if I was on a building committee doing so would be severely punished.

Because of their shape the VT buildings all catch the available breeze, even on very still days.

Personally I detest it when people leave their front doors open and if I was on a building committee doing so would be severely punished.

But the prevailing breeze is from the south. So unless your unit is facing that way you won't necessarily get a good breeze, especially if it's just a breeze. I've noticed that at my friends condos....going from one to the other was a big difference.

Yes, those doors are a bit of a pain. My buddy just bought a condo in Bangkok and those "open air" doors are not allowed.

Can you be more specific? The side with breeze all year round is the morning sun side or the afternoon sun side? I would also like to have a unit like your friend's with breeze all year round. Well, VT5 is also breezy when the door is opened, but not sure whether it is whole year round, any body lives there maybe can share some thoughts here.

You need the front door open to create a cross breeze especially if your apartment is built so that they do not have windows on opposite sides. My understanding is you get south westerlies May to Oct and north easterlies Nov to Jan.

My friend lives on the south side of a building and although he gets sun these days, he says the breeze is adequate to dissipate the heat so it does not feel like a hot box in the apartment. He says his neighbour on the north side is more still and thus feels hotter eventhough they get less sun these days. Around December when the wind comes from the NE, it does not matter much because it is usually cooler and less humid then. This is specific to his building,and I am not sure if it is applicable generally to all buildings.

• Like 1

Ok, so the unit facing the south gets more breeze, longer period, but I think VT5 is quite diferent, as I checked out both sides a few days back, they are equally windy, I think it is because of the waves that bring in the freeze, am I right?

But the prevailing breeze is from the south. So unless your unit is facing that way you won't necessarily get a good breeze, especially if it's just a breeze. I've noticed that at my friends condos....going from one to the other was a big difference.

Yes, those doors are a bit of a pain. My buddy just bought a condo in Bangkok and those "open air" doors are not allowed.

It's true that depending on which way the wind is blowing one side may get more than the other, but I find that both sides seem to get some of it with either the wind coming in from the window and out into the corridor, or vice-versa. The wind here seems to me to come more or less equally from both directions, depending on the weather and time of year.

That BKK condo sounds just my sort of place!

I agree with you, but I don't live there. Hard to argue with the people living there.

To digress, I notice if my computer is getting hot i flip it on its back and put the fan on it. This cools is off SO SO quick, it is amazing. Same has to be true of a condo. The prevailing winds are from the South here in Thailand, although it may be a tad more from the west in this case because wind likes to blow from cool (water) to hot (land). MAybe that is why the north vs south seem the same to some folks?? ie, it may be a combo of prevailing thai winds and local onshore winds. I bet that is what's happening.

Does this place have balconies? I notice I can't stand balconies in afternoon sun, just don't want to use them. I would rarely use my balcony in the morning. I would assume many in pattaya are on my same schedule smile.png If it does have balconies, that is something to consider. Shade in the afternoon is gold for me.

Edited by meand