Teak Wood Houses - Any Ideas ?

Rowdy100

• bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 19 minutes ago

snapback.pngRowdy100, on Today, 18:11 , said:

P.S

Villageferang...is that your "concrete" house you posted a picture of ?? If so...kindly pm the plans please... looks a cracker!!!.. (-:

I think I read somewhere that a modicum of foreplay is customary before handing over the plans to ones castle keep.wink.pngbiggrin.png

5555555555...well said...

Ah, there's the link, thanks! The text covers "Employment" and "Occupation." It could be easily argued that doing labor on one's own house is not covered by the terms. But, again, each to their comfort zone, and I'm not advocating that anyone break the law.

If you upset a local and they complain to Immigration then you will have no chance to argue. You will be arrested and your visa will be cancelled.

So where does the logic stop - the Law also states I, as an Alien, can't do my own gardening. I'll not be losing sleep over working on my own house.

Ah, there's the link, thanks! The text covers "Employment" and "Occupation." It could be easily argued that doing labor on one's own house is not covered by the terms. But, again, each to their comfort zone, and I'm not advocating that anyone break the law.

If you upset a local and they complain to Immigration then you will have no chance to argue. You will be arrested and your visa will be cancelled.

So where does the logic stop - the Law also states I, as an Alien, can't do my own gardening. I'll not be losing sleep over working on my own house.

Over the years I've heard various stories on this, a condo owner in Pattaya who was threatened with this law because he'd bought paint with which to redecorate, it seems that the answer was to use the condo building's prefered contractor to do the painting and the problem was solved! Most likely the story came from three bar stools down but may have had a basis in fact as it looks like a shakedown to me. For me personally, I wouldn't loose sleep over the repairs and DIY I do to my own home, there's a line of demarkation in there somewhere however and it's a brave man who seeks to find out where it is.

Wood looks great when the house is first finished but it will soon weather to a uniform grey so don’t expect to have a gleaming varnished mansion.

Make sure there is enough head room underneath – Thais tend to be shorter than us.

Think about the bathroom – wood moves around a lot so you will need some sort of shower tray to keep the water where it belongs.

Plan power, water pipe runs etc carefully ‘cos you don’t have cavity walls in which to hide them.

Watch out for termites !

Good luck smile.png

Providing the DIY renovation / repairs are on your own home and you are not paid, it is not an occupation and I doubt the immigration dept would waste time on the argument. Setting up a building company in competition with local companies would change this. E.G. Restricted occupations include operating vehicles but that does not prevent driving as long as you are not paid to do it.

For Thai or Farang alike, if you upset someone with some legal talent or powerful friends you will have a big headache. There are endless laws in Thailand that could be used to annoy / inconvenience or prosecute. Some incredible maneuvering goes on in disputes between individuals companies and especially gov departments.

Do what you want to do as legally as possible, be happy and avoid stupid confrontations.

For the guy who comments on concert...................its the wrong material for Thailand...........it retains heat and radiates it....its only advantage is its cheap.

I have seen a display of 4 Teak houses in BKK and as a builder from AU i was kinda worried about the spans of joists and bearers as well as the size of them, seem many timber homes here bent like a camels back, having it knocked up delivered and assembled as one poster suggested is a good idea id prefer that to some hick from the sticks to build it for me from scratch.

What ever you do pay special attention to bearer and joist size and spacings, the same for studs and rafters....

Very difficult to keep out the mozzies unless you build it modern-style and just use the teak as outer dressing for style.

Same with A/C efficiency.

Such an approach also eliminates the having to plan your design around the dimensions of the houses you've dismantled.

Just for comparison, I helped my first GF in Thailand build a new house for her parents by the dismantling/moving process, cost B250,000 all up including the reassembly.

But it was a small house (stilt shack by western standards) in the depths of Buriram and we're talking a decade ago. . .