Mosquitoes

JRG-DK

We are going trekking in the Mae Tang area north of Chiang Mai for four days end of January.

Are there many mosquitoes there or is it not big problem ?

Will it be necessary to bring mosquito net for the nights staying in the hill tripe villages

Jørgen

you'd better prepare the net and mozzies repellent

about mozzies in forest ,it can be a carrier of malaria,danque fever,encephalitis,Lymphatic Filariasis (elephantiasis ) depends on species

atleast it will make u get itchy and bump ..u dont want that ,i bet

A mozzie net is always a good idea, along with some decent anti-mozzie stuff (with DEET) Malaria is not much of a problem around here, but Dengue is endemic in this area, last I heard. Dengue mozzies bite during the day, so it's best to wear protection in the daytime, too.

Keep in mind you typically only use a mosquito net when sleeping in a more or less open, un-screened room.. That's not too likely, and when trekking they mostly provide mosquito nets.. But if you want one anyway, they go for 197 baht (US$ 5) at Big C, Carrefour, Tesco and the like. They also come in several festive colors. Buy some extra string, hooks or tape to attach the &*^$&(*@#$ thing.

By some mysterious coincidence I took a picture of mosquito nets at Big C this afternoon. (It seems I'm well on my way to becoming a online-forum cyber-master with psychic superpowers. I vow to use this power responsibly :o

post-6796-1136541707_thumb.jpg

Saw lots of suggestions for using DEET... and while I don't doubt it's effectiveness, I think there are many good alternatives that might be worth checking out before dousing yourself with megadoses of DEET.

Personally, I think in many cases the potential risks of using DEET outweigh its benefits. Try googling "DEET" and "dangers" and you'll see hundreds of pages of info. If I'm going on a multi-week trek through heavily infested jungle, I would consider bringing along some DEET; but on a shorter (2-4 day) trek, I'd get by with just using long sleeves and/or mosq netting (reasoning: less exposure to mozzies on a short trip, and if things start to go downhill, it won't take more than a day to reach the nearest hospital for a checkup.)

It's really up to you as to whether DEET's worth the risk--but it certainly won't hurt to weigh the consequences before jumping right in.

FYI, some clippings on DEET below:

----------------------------------------------

The Dangers of DEET

keywords : Cancer Research

date : 6/21/2002

media contact : Becky Levine , (919) 660-1308 or (919) 684-4148

[email protected]

This week on MedMinute: Use caution when using insect repellents containing DEET.

With the warnings about West Nile virus, many of us are using insect repellants to ward off mosquitoes and other warm-weather pests. But new studies show some popular repellents could carry dangers of their own.

. . . ( Listen to this WAV file. )

Every year, approximately one-third of Americans use insect repellents containing the insecticide DEET. Duke University Medical Center pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia has spent 30 years researching the effects of pesticides. He has found that prolonged exposure to DEET can impair functioning in parts of the brain.

"Damage to these areas could result in problems with muscle coordination, muscle weakness, walking or even memory and cognition."

Abou-Donia says rats given even small doses of DEET for 60 days had a harder time accomplishing even the easiest tasks. Abou-Donia says short-term exposure to DEET does not appear to be harmful, but warns against using any product with more than a 30 percent concentration. Use as little of the product as you can, and don't use a product containing DEET if you're taking any medication.

"We found that the combined exposure to DEET and other chemicals is more dangerous than just DEET alone."

Abou-Donia also warns to never put a product containing DEET on an infant's or child's skin. The side-effects could be even more serious. I'm Cabell Smith for MedMinute.

contact sources : Mohamed Abou-Donia Ph.D. , (919) 684-2221

[email protected]

clipped from <http://dukemednews.duke.edu/av/medminute.php?id=5638>

--------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

If you saw the above news story in your local or national media, you would be convinced that DEET is the best thing since sliced bread.

Wrong.

This is a deadly and potent neurotoxin that you want to stay away from. If you absolutely had to use it, it should only be used on your clothing, never on your skin. It is far too deadly to ever consider using it on your skin.

Most commercial insect repellents are made from DEET. The American Academy of Pediatrics advises against using repellents containing more than 10% DEET on kids under six. DEET is a pesticide and has been associated with a variety of health problems ranging from dizziness to seizures, and children are especially susceptible.

There are effective natural options. I repeat my comments from four years ago:

"Well, summer is upon us. If you have been doing any gardening, like I have, you will have plenty of mosquito bites to show for it. Most of you, I am certain, know of the dangers of using insect repellant like OFF which contains the chemical DEET. This is a potent chemical that, in high doses, has actually killed people. It should never be used on people. There are natural alternatives available.

One that seems to have great promise is Buzz Away. It has been proven to more effective than Avon Skin So Soft, Bug Guard, Bite Blocker, Natrapel, Jungel Juice AND it is equally as effective as OFF! Buzz Away is formulated with Citronella, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Lemon Grass, Peppermint, and pure and natural plant extracts that repel bugs. For more information you can visit their web site or call 1-800-448-1448.

It is important to know that any product I list in this newsletter affords me no advertising revenue, and I have no financial link to the recommended company. That would be a huge conflict of interest. This information is only given for your benefit.

from <http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/17/insect_repellant.htm>

----------------------------------------------

DEET (diethyl-meta-toluamide) is a very effective insect repellent developed in America some years ago. DEET forms the active part in most modern insect repellents and as such is the most used insect repellent chemical worldwide. Advantages: proven effectiveness at preventing bites, can remain effective for several hours. Disadvantages: oily feel, causes irritation to eyes, lips and other sensitive areas; can cause skin reaction with some users; damages certain plastics and fabrics; less effective in low concentrations, increased reaction risk in high concentrations; strong 'chemical' smell.

from [http://www.safariquip.co.uk/i_insect_repellent_information.html]

---------------------------------------------

How to use DEET products safely

Consumers can reduce their own risks when using DEET by reading and following products labels. All deet product labels include the following directions:

Read and follow all directions and precautions on this product label.

Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.

Do not apply to hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.

Do not allow young children to apply this product.

Use just enough repellent to cover exposed skin and/or clothing.

Do not use under clothing.

Avoid over-application of this product.

After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.

Wash treated clothing before wearing it again.

Use of this product may cause skin reactions in rare cases. The following additional statements will appear on the labels of all aerosol and pump spray formulation labels:

Do not spray in enclosed areas.

To apply to face, spray on hands first and then rub on face. Do not spray directly onto face.

from <http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/deet.htm>

-------------------

The Mae Teng area should be fairly dry in January with not a lot of standing water so mosquitos should not be a major issue unless there is nearby flat padi land under cultivation with a second crop in place. Still one should always be prepared to use some protection, either DEET or the natural citronella based products if mosquitos become an issue.

Nothing in this life is totally risk free.

You have to decide whether deet is more potentially dangerous than, say, contracting the highly drug resistant forms of Malaria, or the commonly hepatotoxic Dengue for example.

You could always douse yourself in Citronella. Less effective than Deet, but it provides some protection.

• 1 year later...

DEET?! Did someone say DEET?! I was in Fiji for two and a half months then the Cook Islands for another two weeks during their fall. My girlfriend and I are going to Thailand for a month in May and bringing this stuff called "Jungle Juice." http://www.rei.com/product/669551

Its 100% DEET. Im not sure if REI ships outside of N. America, but this stuff is amazing. I dont know any other stuff that is pure, 100% authentic DEET. After about two weeks of applying it in Fiji, it soaked into my skin where I only had to apply it every couple of days.. I was the only whitey in Fiji without bug bites.

Edited by o0IslandBlue0o

LOL...

Actually really insane amoutns of DEET don't work better than lower doses.

Also keep in mind that DEET is seriously nasty stuff that eats plastic.

Higher DEET content means it works a bit LONGER, not better. So even with a really low DEET content repellant you can just re-apply.

Or use something herbal.

Or wear appropriate clothing.

Or just dont' be outside during Mosquito Rush Hour at dusk.

Or all of the above.

I recomend stuff called Skeetolene (spelling ?), available localy in pharmacies & supermarkets.

No DEET, but works great, citronella & eucalyptus.

Not to many mosquitos in January as its dry, dont be paranoid, but definatly take some repelant.

I recomend stuff called Skeetolene (spelling ?), available localy in pharmacies & supermarkets.

Not to many mosquitos in January as its dry, dont be paranoid, but definatly take some repelant.

Skeetolene is 20% Deet but smells of citrus etc, very effective, and good value.

MM

It's called Sketolene, manufactured by The British Dispensary. 70 cc spray bottle. Actually if you read the back label, it states "DEET 20% W/W"

Great stuff, I use it all the time for dusk Thai garden restaurant excursions. :o

Keep in mind you typically only use a mosquito net when sleeping in a more or less open, un-screened room.. That's not too likely, and when trekking they mostly provide mosquito nets.. But if you want one anyway, they go for 197 baht (US$ 5) at Big C, Carrefour, Tesco and the like. They also come in several festive colors. Buy some extra string, hooks or tape to attach the &*^$&(*@#$ thing.

By some mysterious coincidence I took a picture of mosquito nets at Big C this afternoon. (It seems I'm well on my way to becoming a online-forum cyber-master with psychic superpowers. I vow to use this power responsibly :D

post-6796-1136541707_thumb.jpg

I feel an urge to post something on "coyote girls doing a wet tee contest" :o