Long Up Hill Walk, Short Ride Down

Gonzo the Face

I believe today (this eve and night) is the time when people walk from the zoo up to Doi Suthep as a Buddhist sign of respect. I haven't seen any discussion of this..... Is there another thread somewhere?..,,, Usually draws quite a few hundred or more persons.

G

Oh yeah,I think this will be a "late" walk this year. Hubby and I enjoyed a nice dinner at Pern's on Huey Kaew and watched the monks walking by. Some came by at 7 pm and Brian Pern commented they were on their way to the walk. Others came by the restaurant at 8 pm, when it had stopped raining, and they also looked like they were out for a walk.

Must add that Pern's restaurant is directly across from the Shell Station, so the "start time" must be really loose.

Edited by NancyL

A point of interest (at least for me) re the Sunday Doi Suthep walk.

May be just a reflection on the society of today, from the lowest of the little , to the highest to the big.

To see and hear about the good people who took the time to walk all or even part of the way up, gives you a warm feeling in knowing that there is an element in this society that does care , as from the heart. This to me is good. Also evident were the little pit stops where good intentioned people had food stuff, water, etc there for the pilgrims to partake of free of charge.

To me that too is good. Much like the society in which we , today, live. Lots of good little people out there that have good thoughts and intentions.

But if there is good, you guessed it, there is also the opposite.

More than a few of the perhaps experienced pseudo pilgrims came prepared with larger types of bags to not only partake of the kindness of the freebies, but to , what might be mistaken to be , go grocery shopping. To many of the people were stuffing their bags with more than just a brief refreshment, but goodies enough for several meals. My word for this would be 'greed' . To me this is NOT good, and to those doing the stocking up, they must know this is not correct and still could not over come the pull of greed and try and justify their actions with some made up lame excuse.....

This is from the little side of the society, the little people.

But from the other side, the high so side...... does this not sound familiar. Look at some of the government actions re saying its for the good of the country/little people, and in reality the doers do know that too many of these actions are wrong.... as the biggies benefit more and the super greed that cannot be, and maybe does not want to be, overcome, is justified with any lame an excuse.

To me the actions of some on the hill walk just seem to tarnish the good and pure intentions of the many. jmho