Best Ambience In Bkk

Vag

Hi all,

I would like to ask if there are any other restaurants in BKK with nice ambience besides the State Tower and Banyan Tree? I've had dinner at both places with my gf and am looking for other restaurants for her coming birthday.

What about the Rang Mahal in the Rembrandt Hotel - supposed to be the best indian food in Bangkok and its really delicious indeed. And its on the 26th floor...

But ask for a table by the window or you'll end up in front of the a bit noisy indian live band :o

Edited by Khun Yak

I don't know about 'Best Ambience' but I like these places:

Mes Amis (French) on Thonlglor Soi 5 - Good for the special romantic occasions.

The Face (Thai, Indian, Bar area and Spa) on Sukhumvit 38 - Great decor, I tend to just hit the bar here.

Maha Naga (Thai/Western Fusion) on Sukhumvit 29 - Lovely courtyard dining area.

L'Opera Restaurant or Winetheque (Italian) on Sukhumvit 39 - Great food, the winetheque part is nice.

Cafe Buongiorno (Italian) on Sukhumvit 33 - Nice garden dining

Crepes & Co. (Mediterranean, Crepes, Brunch & Cafe) on Sukhumvit 12 - Great place to have brunch and read a book!

Hope something grabs your fancy.. :o

Upper Sukhumvit

Duilio's , To Die For , Lan Na Thai , Uomasa , Indus

Middle Sukhumvit

Toscana Trattoria Pizzeria ,Chesa , Maru Tepanyaki , Viva Vino ,Guisto , Antonio's Trattoria Enoteca , Enchant , Pizzeria Limoncello, Basilico , Govinda

Lower Sukhumvit

Black Swan , Kisso , House Number 1 ,

Nami, Rossini's , Venezia ,The Living Room

Ploenchit

Nara , Courtyard , Sense ,Shinanoya ,Lyon ,Ma Maison ,

Fireplace Grill , Gianni , Shin Daikoku , The Palm Leaf , Spasso

No.43 Italian , Iso

Siam

The Square , The Good Earth , Lok Wah Hin , Loop ,

Nabe-Ya

Silom

Hai Tien Lo, Sphinx , Cy'an , D'Sens , Irish Xchange ,

Papa Alfredo's , Anna's Café , Benjarong , Le Café ,

Sushi Tsukigi, V9, Patara , Blue Elephant

Riverside

Jesters , Angelini , Loy Nava , Sirocco , Little India , Ciao ,

The Verandah , Le Normandie , Bamboo Bar , Buri Tara . China House

Rachada

Orchard Café , Le Danang , Slim-Bo

Ambience = Atmosphere surely? None of the above have a shred of real ambience. Indeed if you were to dine at any of them you could be anywhere in the world. Pretentious <deleted> especially Vertigo!

May I suggest Thanon Phra Arthit and the street vendor about 80 yards on the right hand side, tucked into a small alley as you pass Peachy Guest House. The lady is called Jay and is a Goddess of the kitchen!

That is real ambience.

Or indeed the clutch of places near Ta Tien as well especially in the evening.

Edited by ProfessorFart

Maybe...But as soon as I saw the words "dress code"...

Who do they think they are ?

:D

Smart casual please, by respect for our regular customer the following clothing are not allowed;

- no - jeans - t-shirts - tank top - tongs - sandals - sport shoes

There are plenty of restaurant where they don't care but we do.

I see what you mean Razzell, smart casual to me has always been a nice shirt with jeans and nice trainers! I guess they have a different view there! They should just say black tie!

:o

Smart casual actually means shirt, cloth pants and regular shoes...it's basically just not sporty. I don't know about you guys, but dress code or not, I would feel awkward walking into a fancy restaurant in sport shoes :o

Edited by Florin

The guy said he wanted a place with a nice ambience, not a Thai ambience...the notion of "Thai ambience" is a bit of an oxymoron anyway, there's not much that you can call specifically Thai about a restaurant or pub, they all offer pretty much a ripoff of either Western or Chinese atmosphere.

One other point regarding some of the places mentioned here in this thread is, dare I say…… a ‘typical’ Isan lass will not appreciate the food served in the more expensive restaurants.

One sure winner would be Silom Village, tucked away deep between Suk 23 and 31. Great Thai food and the restaurant does have atmosphere, nice string quartet and the tables are not on top of each other, quite romantic.

I’m sure Matt or whatever he calls himself now can give the correct address.

As for Thai/Isaan Food: Sukhumvit Soi 36, the first restaurant on the right. Not sure what it's called, though. Very nice atmosphere, good food and non-touristy Thai dancing. Mostly frequented by Thais, no rip-off.

I agree with another poster before that Hi-So doesn't necessarily mean atmosphere.

Then again...the brazilian restaurant in the Interconti is great. All you can eat steaks from the charcoal BBQ and awsome salads. Not cheap, but value for money.

I think the Isaan restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 36 is the same one that Udon mistakenly described as being on Sukhumvit Soi 26 - for sure, there is no Hua Lom Phong restaurant on 26, and there is an Isaan one on Soi 36.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Harmonique, near the GPO on a soi off Charoen Krung. Not open on Sundays.

No more than 10 tables out front of an old antiques shop. Very good thai food. Closest to ambience I have experienced in BKK.

Also there is a place closeby, on a soi on the other side of Charoen Krung, but I can't remember the name...

I think the Isaan restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 36 is the same one that Udon mistakenly described as being on Sukhumvit Soi 26 - for sure, there is no Hua Lom Phong restaurant on 26, and there is an Isaan one on Soi 36.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Steve,

unless it has been pulled dowm in the last 15 months......... I lived 50m. from it in Soi 26 :o

Just to make sure (and to get some exercise on a fairly cool evening - and to see the new Toys R Us store at Carrefour Rama IV)) , before entering my post yesterday, I walked Soi 26 from Sukhumvit to Rama IV - past the Black & Decker place, past the Soprano House, past a half dozen restuarants (Indus Cafe, variosu Japanese places), past the Four Wings Hotel, the St. James Hotel, past the Cosmo seafood place, and into Carrefour. There is no Hua Lom Phong restuarant - or anything close on Soi 26 in January 2006.

I don't know the name of the Isaan place on Soi 36, but have gone past it several times on my way to Great American BBQ place farther dow Soi 36 on same side of road.

You cannot miss the Isaan place on Soi 36. You cannot find an Isaan place on Soi 26. I have no idea about late 2004.

Perhaps you are talking about this place on Soi 34 (but accessible via Soi 26):

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journalEntr...ng+Food+Station

My guess is that this is the same place described as being on Soi 36 - it is between 36 and 34.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Edited by Indo-Siam

oh, and avoid the Laotian restaurant inside the first Soi on the right in Soi 36. I had to eat there a couple of times (many years ago, I must admit...) and every time for the next 24 hours I had to have a rest room in the immediate proximity...:o

Coming down soi 26 before the Four Wings Hotel, there is a post box and a telephone box on the left, turn in there and you are still on soi 26 postal address.

And on that cnr adjacent to the phonebox is/was a sign for the Food Station, viewable coming from the Four Wings Hotel, turn rt in there and follow the rd past a set of condos with an old white wall., next turning on the left you will see the restaurant. :o

Smart casual actually means shirt, cloth pants and regular shoes...it's basically just not sporty. I don't know about you guys, but dress code or not, I would feel awkward walking into a fancy restaurant in sport shoes :D

Cheers Florin for setting me straight! As for wearing my trainers into fancy restaurants, I do it all the time! I own 1 pair of leather shoes, that only get dusted off for weddings and funerals... But that's the way I am.. :o

Hi all,

I would like to ask if there are any other restaurants in BKK with nice ambience besides the State Tower and Banyan Tree? I've had dinner at both places with my gf and am looking for other restaurants for her coming birthday.

Try "Cabbage and Condoms." It has a cool ambience, though the food isn't that great.

What's wrong with Cabbages N' Condoms in Suk 12?

or

Ana's Garden in Suk. 55 soi 2? ----------- This place has a quit garden restaurant with good waiters and waitresses. [One of the places I've been to in BKK with good service.] And if you walk and follow the yellow bricks further down the garden, there's a Zen-Ambianced bar there with cool music and a very cool DJ.

Then again...the brazilian restaurant in the Interconti is great. All you can eat steaks from the charcoal BBQ and awsome salads. Not cheap, but value for money.

If you think the Fogo Vivo's Chruascao BBQ at Intercon is great try out the A Garden restraurants attempt at same. A Garden is at the end of Sukhumvit soi 51. Offered only on Fridays and Saturdays for the very reasonable sum of Bt500 per person. I thought Fogo Vivo was good as well, until I then tried out A Garden's, which is superb in comparison.

Edited by GoodHeart

Try "Cabbage and Condoms." It has a cool ambience, though the food isn't that great.

"Cabbages and Condoms" is a great place for an informal meal in a very pleasant garden setting. We always visit the place when we're in Bangkok.

The food is variable. We've had both wonderful and not-so-wonderful meals there.

And, the price is right, especially compared to some of the other establishments mentioned in this thread.