Some Questions

miksguevara

Our son is aged 11 and currently resides in Thailand...he holds a Thai passport and also a UK passport (he was born in the uk....his mother is Thai.) We want our son to study in the UK i.e GCSEs and onwards, hopefully.

What implications does this have for my son, in particular we are concerned with national service, if he studied in the UK would this create problems for him if he returned to Thailand in the future.

Also our Thai properties are left to him via a Thai will in the event of my other halves death...when he is 18 does he has to choose a particular citizenship? And does this have any implications?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Thailand and the UK allow dual citizenship, without restriction. He will not have to choose when he is 18 and the fact that he is a dual Thai/British national does not effect his rights as a Thai citizen in any way, including his right to own property.

I can't answer the national service question, I'm afraid. But I don't see how studying abroad could cause him problems.

Not a visa specific question, so moving to General.

The downside of having a dual UK/ Thai citizenship is that the UK will not interfere in any way with your sons obligations to Thailand.

Therefore if your son is requested to complete his National Service by Thailand he cannot look to the UK government for assistance in avoiding it.

I don't know if he will be called up though, someone else can answer that, however if I can put it to you abruptly.....

In as much as you think it is beneficial to have dual nationality, if your son ever has difficulties with the Thai authorities for any reason, he is on his own.

The UK will not get involved.

• Like 1

Is the OP aware some schools in Bangkok offer GCSEs, and (at least) a couple have decent results?

If someone could clarify how the National Service system works that would be much appreciated

I will not be hanging around here for long if the Thai government intends to use my son as a soldier

Is the OP aware some schools in Bangkok offer GCSEs, and (at least) a couple have decent results?

If someone could clarify how the National Service system works that would be much appreciated

I will not be hanging around here for long if the Thai government intends to use my son as a soldier

You have to be careful, some countries place worldwide obligations on their citizens. Our American cousins are being held to extraordinarily high standards by their government.

It's common for many European countries to oblige national service too, and it can't be avoided.

I'm interested to know what the Thai position is on this matter, no doubt we will get an answer soon HOWEVER....

You need to understand the general implication of dual citizenship Brit1984, if your son ever gets into trouble with the Thai authorities for any reason he is a non-person as far as the UK is concerned.

A lot of people can't get their heads round that, but that is the rule and attitude the UK government, every UK government, takes to this issue.

Quite frankly I agree with the policy, if someone wants to hold the benefit of dual citizenship, then they must comply with the obligations of dual citizenship.

For example, if your son gets involved in corruption in Thailand, he will be subjected to the UK Bribery Act, even though he is a Thai passport holder. Dual citizenship comes with a price, that price is legal obligations to two countries at the same time.

It's not all upside, there are serious downsides too.

• Like 1

ok many thanks for your informative replies fellow members; - I guess by the time my son is 18 he will largely have to make these choices for himself (with advice, of course...) I will have to see if I can dig up some info on obligations to serve under the Thai military....thanks guys.

ok many thanks for your informative replies fellow members; - I guess by the time my son is 18 he will largely have to make these choices for himself (with advice, of course...) I will have to see if I can dig up some info on obligations to serve under the Thai military....thanks guys.

I've read similar threads on this in the past. I recommend you do a search of this forum.

As a young man he'll need to either:

If he goes back to Thailand , either go through the proper paperwork and take his chances on the lottery (like won't get called up), or pay the tea money to avoid it for sure.

Or stay out of Thailand until he's older.

Surely thats a decision your son will have to make not you....he may want to go into the services....further if you intend taking him out the country due to not wanting him to do his national service if so required one assumes you are going to give up his Thai passport as well then ?

You have to be careful, some countries place worldwide obligations on their citizens. Our American cousins are being held to extraordinarily high standards by their government.

It's common for many European countries to oblige national service too, and it can't be avoided.

I'm interested to know what the Thai position is on this matter, no doubt we will get an answer soon HOWEVER....

You need to understand the general implication of dual citizenship Brit1984, if your son ever gets into trouble with the Thai authorities for any reason he is a non-person as far as the UK is concerned.

A lot of people can't get their heads round that, but that is the rule and attitude the UK government, every UK government, takes to this issue.

Quite frankly I agree with the policy, if someone wants to hold the benefit of dual citizenship, then they must comply with the obligations of dual citizenship.

For example, if your son gets involved in corruption in Thailand, he will be subjected to the UK Bribery Act, even though he is a Thai passport holder. Dual citizenship comes with a price, that price is legal obligations to two countries at the same time.

It's not all upside, there are serious downsides too.

all you need to do is read the "notes" pages in a British passport..its there....being a British citizen does not exlude you from national service in the case of dual citizenship

Surely thats a decision your son will have to make not you....he may want to go into the services....further if you intend taking him out the country due to not wanting him to do his national service if so required one assumes you are going to give up his Thai passport as well then ?

Are you referring to the obligations of a Thai citizen and in your opinion should make himself available for military service? If not then the son does not have to recind Thai citizenship

I was curious about miitary service so (as I was informed yesterday) I googled.

Military service age and obligation: 21 years of age for compulsory military service; 18 years of age for voluntary military service; males register at 18 years of age; 2-year conscript service obligation (2009)

Definition: This entry gives the required ages for voluntary or conscript military service and the length of service obligation.

Source: CIA World Factbook - Unless otherwise noted, information in this page is accurate as of January 9, 2012

Indeed, it should be his choice whether or not he wants to be in the military; like most people, I expect he will choose a different career.

If holding a Thai passport will take this choice away from him, and compel him to some compulsory National Service in Thailand, then British citizenship will suffice.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

If holding a Thai passport will take this choice away from him, and compel him to some compulsory National Service in Thailand, then British citizenship will suffice.

Again this is surely a decision for him to make not for you to make....he is entiled to dual citizenship not you...it should be him who decided if he only wants one or both nationalities and if in choosing both nationalities he is complelled to do NS...then so be it...its the price you pay to have that citizenship...BTW there are other options...he could become a monk for the duration or stay out the country until 30 then he would not be compelled to do NS in Thailand.

Edited by Soutpeel

Again this is surely a decision for him to make not for you to make....he is entiled to dual citizenship not you...it should be him who decided if he only wants one or both nationalities and if in choosing both nationalities he is complelled to do NS...then so be it...its the price you pay to have that citizenship...BTW there are other options...he could become a monk for the duration or stay out the country until 30 then he would not be compelled to do NS in Thailand.

I want it to be his choice; that is why I am seeking clarification how the system works so I can make sure he is not forced into military service.

If we bring him up with dual-citizenship, what would he need to do in case he (as most people) prefers not be in the military? The same applies to the alternative you mention of becoming a monk (I am even more opposed to forcing a religion upon a child).

You mentioned staying out of Thailand until he is 30. From what age would he need to stay outside? Do you mean not visit Thailand or not reside here? My Israeli friend, for example, can visit Israel for short holidays but any longer and he is at risk of being forced to spend some time in the military.

Alternatively, could we bring him up with dual-citizenship, and then, if he is asked to do national service (and prefers not to) could he simply rescind his Thai citizenship?

I want it to be his choice; that is why I am seeking clarification how the system works so I can make sure he is not forced into military service.

If we bring him up with dual-citizenship, what would he need to do in case he (as most people) prefers not be in the military? The same applies to the alternative you mention of becoming a monk (I am even more opposed to forcing a religion upon a child).

You mentioned staying out of Thailand until he is 30. From what age would he need to stay outside? Do you mean not visit Thailand or not reside here? My Israeli friend, for example, can visit Israel for short holidays but any longer and he is at risk of being forced to spend some time in the military.

Alternatively, could we bring him up with dual-citizenship, and then, if he is asked to do national service (and prefers not to) could he simply rescind his Thai citizenship?

No need to rescind Thai citizenship. Can either pay around 30,000 - 40,000 baht at the Amphur to obtain papers that cancel his national service obligation (can be faciltated by Thai family member in Thailand, to be collected when he's on holiday in Thailand, as we did. Or return to Thailand after he turns 30

No need to rescind Thai citizenship. Can either pay around 30,000 - 40,000 baht at the Amphur to obtain papers that cancel his national service obligation (can be faciltated by Thai family member in Thailand, to be collected when he's on holiday in Thailand, as we did. Or return to Thailand after he turns 30

Thank you, sounds simple

But of course once someone pays over the 30-40k...one can never come back on TV and get on a soapbox about corruption in Thailand or complain about the police wanting backhanders ever ever again...rolleyes.gif

But of course once someone pays over the 30-40k...one can never come back on TV and get on a soapbox about corruption in Thailand or complain about the police wanting backhanders ever ever again...rolleyes.gif

Oh I didn't know about that TV policy...

Oh I didn't know about that TV policy...

Its not a policy but could leave one open to comments like "hypocrite"....wink.png

I think that it is a distinct possibility that having completed his education overseas he will take a long hard look at Thailand and decide to stay where he is. If he has acquired useful knowledge and skills many of the more advanced countries would make him welcome and he would enjoy equal advancement opportunities, unlike Thailand where it is a case of who you know rather than what you know. The present PM is a case in mind.

Our son is aged 11 and currently resides in Thailand...he holds a Thai passport and also a UK passport (he was born in the uk....his mother is Thai.) We want our son to study in the UK i.e GCSEs and onwards, hopefully.

What implications does this have for my son, in particular we are concerned with national service, if he studied in the UK would this create problems for him if he returned to Thailand in the future.

Yes, it could. It`s all here:

http://dawn.com/2011...y-hope-to-lose/

(Link removed)

Also our Thai properties are left to him via a Thai will in the event of my other halves death...when he is 18 does he has to choose a particular citizenship? And does this have any implications?

You mention; our Thai properties, but I guess you mean, your wife`s properties? As a farang you cannot leave any property you are not entitled to own legally in a will. To be on the safe side you can place the properties in your son’s name now, providing he keeps his Thai citizenship.

No, he can have both Thai and British citizenship with no problems as it`s completely legal and never has to give up one or the other unless this is done voluntary.

Edited by 7by7
Link to another forum removed; see forum rule 10

It puzzles me why anyone would want to take their kids to the UK to put them through school there....my kids (I have 2 young girls) are staying in this country, warts an all, then they can decide when they are old enough if they want to work/study overseas...

Edited by hotandhumid

It puzzles me why anyone would want to take there kids to the UK to put them through school there....my kids (I have 2 young girls) are staying in this country warts an all, then they can decide when they are old enough if they want to work/study overseas...

While that course of action may be optimal for you and your family, everyone has different circumstances.

Would you be puzzled if someone told you they want their children to be educated at one of the best schools in the world?

Which Thai schools offer an equivalent education to Eton, Westminster, Charterhouse, Dulwich or Wycombe Abbey?

It puzzles me why anyone would want to take there kids to the UK to put them through school there....my kids (I have 2 young girls) are staying in this country warts an all, then they can decide when they are old enough if they want to work/study overseas...

While that course of action may be optimal for you and your family, everyone has different circumstances.

Would you be puzzled if someone told you they want their children to be educated at one of the best schools in the world?

Which Thai schools offer an equivalent education to Eton, Westminster, Charterhouse, Dulwich or Wycombe Abbey?

Beam me up Scotty.

There are no guarantees of anything. You can put your children throught the best schools possible and pay a fortune but they could still grow up to be a wrong'un. Besides, I wouldn't want my lad to be a public schoolboy.

Best of luck.

Beam me up Scotty.

There are no guarantees of anything. You can put your children throught the best schools possible and pay a fortune but they could still grow up to be a wrong'un. Besides, I wouldn't want my lad to be a public schoolboy.

Best of luck.

When you cross the road, do you open your eyes or keep them closed?

Obviously, going to a great school does not guarantee a child's success in life

It is, however, preferable to sending them to a not-great school