Manchester United

redrus

Nice words going on from some in here at the moment some actuall conversation which is friendly and, informative of peoples views. I like it....!

:o

FAN, is short for FANATIC, once again, let us not forget that....!

I now live around sixty miles from Old Trafford. When I am in the region of lets say, 20 miles and on my way home, I will work out in my head, a way to go past/round Old Trafford. Game or no game.....!!!!!

redrus

I now live around sixty miles from Old Trafford.

That's still way closer than the average united fan, Red :o

And the point being?

That MCFC is the team most mancunians support, except a few from Trafford and Salford :D

Most United fans hail from places like Guildford, Surrey or Maidstone, Kent :D

Or Belgium :D

Nice words going on from some in here at the moment some actuall conversation which is friendly and, informative of peoples views. I like it....!

Nice of you to join us Redrus!

Actually i have a question for you and some of the longer standing members amongst us. I've only been active myself here for a year or so - can't help wondering if it's always been just half a dozen or so people knocking about on these threads. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the company of those who are active here, just be nice to have the input of a few more people. Has it always been like this?

And the point being?

That he still lives closer than the average united fan.

Sorry, i thought my post above was quite clear, did i write it in Polish or something? :D

That's still way closer than the average united fan, Red :D

And the point being?

That MCFC is the team most mancunians support, except a few from Trafford and Salford :D

Yes we do have a global fan base but to say there are more city fans in manchester than utd fans, is utter <deleted>.

The problem with you bitter blues is that u have too make up myths about us cos it makes you feel better.

Tick Tock :o

And the point being?

helsea on the other hand, have a rather small 'true' fanbase, with a number of transisent glory hunters

You forgot to mention Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia. :D

Joking aside, United have such a large fan base because thay have always had appwal. It's no different really than Liverpool, who IMO come second to UNited (as usual) in having the biggest fanbase. Chelsea on the other hand have a large number of transisent glory hunters, who will dissapear quicker than Michael Barrymore in a swimming pool, when they hae a couple of lean seasons.

Anyway, I still thnk that Jim is getting some unfair stick for not having visited Old Trafford, afterall he has been to The Mancester United Bar in Soi 11, which I have walked past on a number of occassions. :wai:

Anyway, looking forward to the game tomorrow night in The Crossbar. I guess it wil be Soi 8 tonight. :P

And the point being?

Yes we do have a global fan base but to say there are more city fans in manchester than utd fans, is utter <deleted>.

The problem with you bitter blues is that u have too make up myths about us cos it makes you feel better.

Pass me that landing net someone........Quick :wai:

And the point being?

:P

Works EVERY time eh jack :jerk:

And the point being?

Sorry, i thought my post above was quite clear, did i write it in Polish or something? :D

It was clear what you were saying, but not why, hence my question.

You were obviously trying to prove a point and score some points in the process (a lesson you could teach your players i'm sure :D ), i'm just not sure how saying that Manchester United has broad and widespread support beyond Old Trafford achieved this aim - enlighten if you will.

And the point being?

:P

Works EVERY time eh jack :jerk:

Mr Bo, Jack

You would have thought after 32 years City fans would have come up with something more original/factual, don't you think?

Tick Tock :burp:

And the point being?

You were obviously trying to prove a point and score some points in the process (a lesson you could teach your players i'm sure :D ), i'm just not sure how saying that Manchester United has broad and widespread support beyond Old Trafford achieved this aim - enlighten if you will.

It's called banter Rix :D

And the point being?

It's called banter Rix :D

Banter's probably a bit like a joke in that it doesn't work if you have to explain it i guess?

A change of direction....

A few of the TV guys (and girls if you want) Are meeting tomorrow to watch the cup Final at the Crossbar does anyone else wish to join us.

BT :D

Can't make it myself but will expect a full report on my desk first thing Monday morning detailing how it went and who made a fool of themselves. :o

A few of the TV guys (and girls if you want) Are meeting tomorrow to watch the cup Final at the Crossbar does anyone else wish to join us.

Can't make it myself but will expect a full report on my desk first thing Monday morning detailing how it went and who made a fool of themselves. :D

Do you mean - Who were the FANS and who were the Supporters :o:wai::D:D

BT :P

Can't make it myself but will expect a full report on my desk first thing Monday morning detailing how it went and who made a fool of themselves. :D

Do you mean - Who were the FANS and who were the Supporters :o:wai::D:D

BT :P

No i meant who got drunk and copped off with the broad-shouldered bird with the deep voice. :jerk:

And the point being?

Got back to Manchester this Wednesday, yes its nice to live less than 20 miles from O/T but I would still prefer to be home in Thailand right now with my family, I'm happy to watch UTD on UBC these days & if I'm out or asleep when matches are played the first thing I do is jump on the computer to check the result so i must still be a Fanaticlaugh.gif the misses certainly thinks so as she's left to do the house work while I'm reading up on Utdrolleyes.gif

Best of luck to the lads on Sunday the beers are outside the back-door, in the fridge called the UK

Can Spurs knock Manchester United out of their majestic stride for a Carling Cup double?

Premier League safety is Tottenham's priority, but the prospect of another Wembley triumph is something special.

Spurs were unsuccessful this week in their attempt to overturn a two-goal deficit against Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Cup knockout stages at White Hart Lane.

They were aware of the task in hand after their disappointing first-leg performance in the Ukraine, so one wonders about manager Harry Redknapp’s priorities ahead of their Carling Cup Final clash with Premier League, European and World champions Manchester United at Wembley today.

Shakhtar progress to play CSKA Moscow, who also claimed a Premier League scalp with a 2-0 second-leg victory over Aston Villa at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.

Harry Redknapp can now focus on what may be considered the most important task in hand after he criticised the club's recent fixture pile-up. After picking up three points at Hull City on Monday night, it was evident that Redknapp would field a weakened team in the UEFA Cup ahead of the Wembley final.

Spurs will be looking for back-to-back Carling Cup triumphs with Redknapp saying: "I'd just love to win on Sunday. What comes with it is great. It's just the situation we were in that is difficult. If we hadn’t had a cup final I would not have been looking to rest so many people."

Redknapp is boosted by the news that defender Jonathan Woodgate will be fit to return to the back-line and Jamie O'Hara is in line for a midfield recall after shaking off an injury.

But five first-teamers - Pascal Chimbonda, Wilson Palacios, Robbie Keane, Carlo Cudicini and Fraizer Campbell – will be absent because they are either cup-tied or injured.

Roman Pavlyuchenko has been back in full training after picking up a slight groin injury, and is likely to partner Darren Bent up front. But Redknapp will be looking to Croatian play-maker Luka Modric to fire up the Spurs midfield.

However, United will be full of confidence, sitting seven points clear of Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table. There is speculation that Sir Alex Ferguson will stick with most of the players who have got them to the final.

This means that young 'fringe' players like Darron Gibson, Danny Wellbeck and Nani will be given a chance to finish the job they started – all part of the Ferguson plan to improve their readiness for bigger and better opportunities.

Wayne Rooney has also made it clear that he is ready for a place in the starting line-up despite only a token final 10 minutes of action in the midweek Champions League game against Inter Milan at the San Siro.

Obviously the influence of Redknapp and Ferguson will have a crucial bearing on the eventual outcome, but with the mixture of talented youth and experience in both teams we should be in for a spectacular match.

Sportingo

CARLING CUP FINAL - MANCHESTER UNITED v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

KEY BATTLES

ComeOnBoro.com; Sat 28 Feb 2009

As Tottenham and Manchester United prepare to do battle in the Carling Cup final on March 1, PA Sport picks out the contests that are likely to decide the outcome of the domestic season's first major piece of silverware.

Michael Carrick v Luka Modric

Carrick has been one of the unsung heroes of United's five-trophy assault this season, quietly impressing with his authoritative performances in midfield. The 27-year-old will have extra motivation against his former club and is due a goal. Modric looked lightweight when he first arrived in the Premier League but has adapted well and is now arguably Tottenham's key player. He is the main link between midfield and attack and has also weighed in with important goals.

Carlos Tevez v Jonathan Woodgate

Tevez's Old Trafford future is still up in the air and he will be desperate to impress if given a chance at Wembley. The Argentinian can always be guaranteed to put in an all-action showing and has a useful knack of scoring important goals. Woodgate has been the heart of Tottenham's defence this season and his partnership with Michael Dawson has been key to Spurs' improvement under Redknapp. Reads the game very well and seems to have overcome his injury troubles. Scored the winner in last season's final.

RUTHLESS ALEX GOES FOUR GOLD

Sunday March 1,2009

By John Richardson-Sunday Express

SIR Alex Ferguson has dismissed all talk of a Manchester United quadruple insisting he would willingly settle for just one trophy this season – the Champions League.

The United boss and his star-studded squad are back on familiar territory today, stepping out at Wembley to face Spurs in the Carling Cup final.

But on the eve of a game which could be the start of a unique quadruple, which would also encompass the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, Ferguson made his startling confession.

He insisted: “I would be happy winning just one thing this season and that would be the Champions League. That would be great for us. Yes, it would mean back-to-back wins in the competition, which hasn’t been done in the Champions League format before.

“But more important we have only won it three times and we need to do better.”

It’s an irritation to Ferguson and something he is desperate to put right before he brings his gold-plated reign to an end at Old Trafford.

He added: “To win the Champions League again would be better than equalling Liverpool’s record of titles (18). Yes, definitely. I think we should have won it more times.

“We should be up there with the Bayern Munichs, the Ajaxs, the Liverpools given the history of this club. We have hit the crossbar a few times. We should have done better in some years and in others we have been a bit unlucky, but that is what happens in European football, it is quite ruthless.

“Even if we were two points behind in the league and really challenging for it I would still say for us right now the Champions League is more important.”

Not that Ferguson’s startling statement means that United will be taking their foot off the accelerator pedal in the other competitions, including today’s clash with Harry Redknapp’s Spurs.

The Carling Cup might be well down the list of United priorities, but a fit again Wayne Rooney won’t be going through the motions.

Although the striker is still feeling his way after a hamstring injury Ferguson admitted: “Wayne is desperate to play.”

Rooney will add the experience in a United side comprising a number of youngsters and could even be made skipper for the afternoon.

“I haven’t thought about that yet, but Wayne is captaincy material. There are different ways of being a captain. There is the respect you have in the dressing room, seniority is another thing, or leading by example.

“Bryan Robson without question is the best captain we’ve ever had in my time. He was good tactically as well and would change things on the pitch. The players loved him.

“He was a real players’ man, a great player and a great competitor.”

There will also be another opportunity for Irish midfielder Darron Gibson to continue his exciting progress.

Ferguson said: “He is a passing player, one who is endowed with different abilities. His shooting power from outside the box is phenomenal. He is of the Frank Lampard type, always having a shot from outside the box.

“If he gets the percentage of goals that Lampard gets he will be doing very well. He has a lot of pace. The improvement this season has been tremendous.”

redrus

Edited by redrus

Not much of a spectacle other than a shoddy playing surface. A few good chances on both sides. Yawn.

Channel 7 carried it and must say although it was good that they did, the constant (every two minute) commercial breaks were annoying to say the least.

Most weeks I disagree with Piers Mr A-hole Morgan but this week.... :o

Benitez - genius or the most arrogant manager of all time?

Last updated at 9:14 AM on 01st March 2009

So, Rafa Benitez has won the Liverpool power struggle. Rick Parry, the chief executive, is leaving. And Rafa will now presumably have total control over transfers and get a nice big pay rise. But while agreeing that Parry was an interfering old busybody, am I the only one who isn't so convinced by Benitez's supposed genius?

There has always been something very irritating about the Spaniard. The goatee beard is not a good start. He clearly thinks it makes him look like Johnny Depp. When, dare I politely suggest, George Michael after a hard night on Hampstead Heath is a more appropriate comparison?

The Rafa show: He's going, he's staying, he's the biggest star at Anfield

The cheap-looking glasses, hideous patterned ties and ill-fitting suits do nothing to counter the general impression of a middle- ranking bank manager. But the most annoying thing about him is that he could be so much more successful if he just managed to find a few seconds in every day to stop thinking about himself and dwell on his team for a moment.

Benitez has to be the most arrogant manager ever to grace the Premier League. Which, when you consider the competition, is a pretty amazing achievement. Jose 'I'm the Special One' Mourinho has an ego the size of several planets, Sir Alex Ferguson makes Emperor Nero look timid and dear old Sam Allardyce is still banging on about how he should be England manager, when most of us think he'd struggle to run a pub side these days.

But Benitez is cockier than all of them, in his own peculiar way. You just know that he wakes up every morning, struts to the bathroom in his purple Noel Coward smoking jacket, takes a long, hard look at himself in the mirror, and smirks: 'Rafa, you is looking the bizzo today!'

Liverpool were cruising at the top of the League at the turn of the year. They looked strong in depth and focused and I genuinely thought, if Gerrard and Torres stayed fit, they might go on and win the title. Then came Dossier Day. The moment that Benitez decided to make it all about himself again.

Instead of exuding a firm air of menacing confidence about his players, which would have instilled fear and panic into the ranks of Liverpool's already struggling opponents, he exploded in a veritable orgy of selfindulgence. Out he marched, jowls twitching, goatee glistening, brow furrowed, and positively dripping with prickly defensiveness. And for the next half an hour he laid into Sir Alex in a fit of indignant pique that was toe-curling to watch.

When he'd finished going through his ridiculous fact-file, he sat back like a smug geography teacher having just administered another tedious lecture to the class on their collective shortcomings. And I sat back and chuckled loudly to myself, exactly as I suspect Sir Alex did in Manchester.

'Game over,' he must have thought. Dossier Day was not the only time Benitez has made it all about himself. For most of the season, Liverpool's achievements on the field have been overshadowed by their manager's contractual wranglings. He's going, he's staying, he's angry, he's frustrated, he's . . . he's . . . he's Rafa Benitez, the biggest star at the club! This week Liverpool fans will forgive him anything given their excellent win at Real Madrid. 'Give Rafa the freedom of the city!' was the cry from the world's most emotional supporters. To which I reply: 'Calm down, calm down.'

Particularly after yesterday's terrible performance against Middlesbrough. Benitez is, indisputably, tactically astute, massively experienced and worthy of considerable praise as a coach. But Liverpool are not an exciting team to watch. They're hard to beat, granted. They're also, however, a bunch of boring long-ball merchants prepared to grind out results and catch opposition sides on the break. And when you analyse Benitez's actual record as manager, from a historical perspective, the position looks even less impressive.

He won the Champions League in his first season at Liverpool, making himself an instant Kop god in the process. But that was four years ago and since then he's added only one FA Cup and a Community Shield to the mix (I'm not knocking that joke of a trophy, by the way. We Arsenal fans would do cartwheels of ecstasy for the Shield right now).

This season was the closest Liverpool have come to winning the Premier League and they almost certainly blew it when they had it in their hands. Because, at the crucial moment, when the players looked to their manager for the kind of supreme Churchillian 'Let us go forward together' speech that might drive them on to victory, he turned it into the Rafa Benitez show.

The best manager Liverpool ever had was not the magnificently eloquent Bill Shankly. It was Bob Paisley. A humble, absurdly modest, quietly-spoken man who won six league titles, three European cups, one UEFA cup, three League Cups, a UEFA Super Cup, and five Community Shields. Paisley would rather have inserted electrodes into his spinal cord than constantly big himself up ahead of his players. And I bet he never once asked for a pay rise

Chelsea's Frank Lampard warns Manchester United title race is not over

Frank Lampard has told Manchester United that Chelsea are determined to take the Premier League title race down to the wire.

Chelsea are seven points behind leaders United and have played a game more, but Lampard believes the feelgood factor created by Guus Hiddink's arrival as manager has provided a timely boost at Stamford Bridge.

Hiddink has led Chelsea to three successive wins since replacing sacked Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari and the west Londoners can close the gap on United to four points if they beat Portsmouth at Fratton Park this week.

Hoping Sir Alex Ferguson's men slip up at Newcastle, Lampard said: "Considering the crisis everyone says we're having this season, we're still in second position.

"I know we're a fair distance behind Manchester United, but we'll keep going. We closed the gap last year and only fell a little bit short.

"There are a lot of points still available, although to be fair to Manchester United they have been on a fantastic run.

"They can't go on winning forever, one day they might start getting some penalty decisions against them at home. The luck can change and do so very quickly."

Lampard's sentiments are shared by his new manager, who, despite insisting his presence at the club will only be temporary, is eager to see his squad fight to the end.

Chelsea have rediscovered their winning ways since the Russian arrived, and speaking after their victory over Wigan, Hiddink said: "I am realistic, and we have to win our games first.

"Man United are in a good seat. But as long as we have a possibility, it is not decided. As long as the team is keeping up this fighting spirit, we keep on going for the things that can be reached."

Sorry to disagree Frankie, but if you want to talk about luck, how many times this year (including your last game against Wigan) were you lucky enough to earn a draw, never mind win.

Settle for 2nd mate, I know LP would.

This from the wise one...

Benítez: Torres injuries have cost us• Liverpool manager bemoans defeat at Middlesbrough• Torres out for trip to Sunderland tomorrow

Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benítez, has blamed his side's struggles up front for the 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough on Saturday, adding that if Fernando Torres had been playing there might have been a different result.

"The title was difficult before, it is more difficult now," he admitted. "What we have to do is take our chances, and that is something that has been the same problem the whole season.

"Maybe if Torres had not been injured so much things would be different, but we cannot change the situation now. Everybody has players who get injured.

"We have had some problems [following the 1-0 Champions League win at Real Madrid], several players have been injured, among other things. The worst thing has been the injuries to Torres. He has been our main striker and scored a lot of goals for us last season. And this season could have been totally different with him."

Liverpool will be aiming to cut Manchester United's Premier League lead to four points when they play Sunderland at Anfield tomorrow – with Torres again absent – and then hope that the Carling Cup winners, who have a game in hand, trip up at Newcastle United on Wednesday.

In the wake of the reverse at Middlesbrough Benítez is acutely aware recriminations are beginning to fly with Liverpool having won only one of their last seven league games.

Referring to his contract negotiations, Benítez would only say that talks "will take place in maybe two days, maybe two weeks". The Spaniard also side-stepped questions over whether he had discussed the squad's lack of depth with the club's American owners.

He admitted he had talked to co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, as well as his players: "We have talked about the mistakes we made [at Middlesbrough] and the future. And the immediate future is playing Sunderland, trying to get three points and then waiting to see what happens with Manchester United.

"But we played with anxiety at Middlesbrough, we gave the ball away too easily with simple passes. These are things we have to improve if we are going to fight for the title. But we must not forget that our league performance is better than last season.

"Still we have to improve. Yes, we have had key players injured and maybe that could have cost us four or five points. In this title race that would be a massive difference. We are in a good position but we could be in a much better position.

"We are now rated in the Uefa rankings as the best team in Europe over the last five years. That underlines how we have done in those seasons. But we must go forward for the rest of the season, and in the future. The squad is good, but there are too many games when things go wrong and that makes a massive difference.

"We had confidence and we were in a very good position for a long time. It has been our best performance for several seasons. But when we need fresh legs when senior players are injured, things are not easy. To improve in attack is not easy, you can improve in defence with hard work but forwards need accuracy and confidence."

Benítez's mood was hardly improved by being asked whether he admired Sir Alex Ferguson's achievements. He said only: "Manchester United are a good team, they have very good players and they have a good manager."

Alot of fat to chew on from Sir Rafalot of scouserville:

Bemoaning lack of goals (torres injured) but sells a proven 15-20 goal scorer in Keane. Key injuries have cost you points? Is that a uniquely LP phenom?

Rated by UEFA as best team in Europe over the last 5 years. Do you get a plaque with your name on it for that?

David Gill at his finest... :o

Ronaldo ban not on the cards

Cristiano Ronaldo's caution in the Carling Cup final may have been ill-deserved - but at least it was well-timed in terms of the FA's disciplinary calendar.

The Portuguese winger's fourth yellow card in domestic competitions fell on 1 March - the day after the cut-off point for the five-bookings rule. A fifth caution for Ronaldo at this stage of the season would only earn him a warning now, instead of a ban.

That will surely be good news for Sir Alex Ferguson, who initially feared Ronaldo would be "near to missing a game" when referee Chris Foy booked the Portuguese winger after first rejecting his claim for a penalty against Tottenham's Ledley King.

"It's disappointing, not so much because he didn't give the penalty but because he booked Cristiano," Sir Alex told MUTV.

"You can't appeal against a yellow card so that has been added to Cristiano's record now. That's twice it's happened this season (for 'simulation'). It's too easy an option for these referees. He (Foy) should be challenged on why he gave the yellow card."

Ronaldo's other domestic bookings this season have all come in the league, against Chelsea home and away and last month's 2-1 win over Blackburn at Old Trafford.

The FA's Disciplinary Procedures document states: "If a player accumulates five recorded cautions in First Team Competitive Matches between the opening day of the Playing Season and the last day in February in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for a period covering One First Team Match."