Staff Compensation

I recently closed down my office. Two staff had already agreed jobs with another company and left and another two I had to lay off. I understand I have to pay them both severance pay, they have both been working for me for over a year so are intitled to 90 days comp at there daily salary. The problem I have is that one of them worked full time, 5 days per week with a contract and the other staff had another job so just worked part time, 2 or 3 days per week and was basically a freelancer. What im trying to find out is how can the part time staff be entitled to as much as someone who was working full time. Surely there must be another calculation for part time staff? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Jared

Do a google search for Thai Labor Law. There is a pdf English version you can download. Contract or not the employee is entitled to severance.

Not if the company went into receivership is he/she entitled to severance, nor if it was declared bankrupt as another option.

However, seeing as their boss can't write English well, if I were they I'd be tightening the wrench around the boss's balls rapidly. giggle.gif

-mel.

We've already been down to the Labour Protection and Welfare Office and the answer I got was ' full time, part time, same same!'

I've already taken a look at a few documents online and was also given a book in Thai to look through at the Labour Office and I can't find anything for part time workers.

It looks like I'm just going to have to give the part time the same comp as the full time.

I was hoping that someone else on here had had a similar problem in the past and might know the answer, guess not.

Thank you for the helpful comments and only 3 post before a snide remark, not bad for TV.

I had an issue with my ex-staff so I did a research of Thai Labor Low. You have to pay compensation for 3 months but if somebody did part time job it means his salary was lower than full time staff. So 3 months compenstation will also be smaller.

This is the same like with paid holiday - no matter if your staff is part of full time - the amount of days off you have to give is the same for all staff.

Ok so maybe that's why there is nothing in the documents about part time workers, because a part time worker would generally be paid a lower monthly salary. From what I can see, to work out the daily fee they would divide their monthly salary by 30.

I paid the staff a monthly salary it just varied depending on how many days were worked. The document also mentions that the compensation is to be based on the final months salary. So I should be paying a fraction of the compensation to the part time worker, compared to the full time worker.

Now I need to explain this to the lady at the labour office and see what she says, should be fun.