Anyone Have The New Sym Evo? A Review Please?

phl

The body, fairing, plastics etc are all covered by a 3-year warranty ...

Oh really? thats assuring smile.png and actually very unusual, as most manufactures only cover the engine parts under warranty not the body itself

I was told by this dealership that the three years warranty is only for the engine. The rest has no warranty (is this possible, or maybe the rest has only 6 months?). I am .... a bit confused smile.png

I read a report from one owner in Europe that the unpainted plastics (cover handle bar, panels front storage, ...) of the GTS will fade colour if staying for long time in the sun. This particular owner let his SYM stay outside th whole year (snow, sunlight). I think its normal and nothing to worry about. And this (unpainted) plastic parts are not very expensive i guess. But afaik this is normal and happens to every scooter sooner or later (Honda, Yamaha, ...).

As I understand, the Sym warranty is 3-years, and 3-years (or 30,000km) on the engine and all moving parts. This also seems to be supported by the two logo’s (one Sym warranty and one specs the engine) on the back of the Sym Maxsym 400i brochure.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The body, fairing, plastics etc are all covered by a 3-year warranty ...

Oh really? thats assuring smile.png and actually very unusual, as most manufactures only cover the engine parts under warranty not the body itself

I was told by this dealership that the three years warranty is only for the engine. The rest has no warranty (is this possible, or maybe the rest has only 6 months?). I am .... a bit confused smile.png

I read a report from one owner in Europe that the unpainted plastics (cover handle bar, panels front storage, ...) of the GTS will fade colour if staying for long time in the sun. This particular owner let his SYM stay outside th whole year (snow, sunlight). I think its normal and nothing to worry about. And this (unpainted) plastic parts are not very expensive i guess. But afaik this is normal and happens to every scooter sooner or later (Honda, Yamaha, ...).

Of course it happens to all the bikes, for the local bikes its an easy fix, plenty of original plastic and copies. With SYM though do the dealers hold the stocks of plastics? that is the question and if they have to order some small piece of plastic, how much would it cost?

Edited by phl

Of course it happens to all the bikes, for the local bikes its an easy fix, plenty of original plastic and copies. With SYM though do the dealers hold the stocks of plastics? that is the question and if they have to order some small piece of plastic, how much would it cost?

The parts catalog of the MAXSYM has prices. Some parts are cheap, some expensive :)

I was told that they stock all common parts in Thailand. But not 100% all parts. If they have to order parts its takes 3 maybe 4 weeks.

Edited by wantan

The parts catalog of the MAXSYM has prices. Some parts are cheap, some expensive smile.png

I was told that they stock all common parts in Thailand. But not 100% all parts. If they have to order parts its takes 3 maybe 4 weeks.

Part numbers that are in red color are standard not on stock. Most of this parts need to be ordered from Vietnam.

I think time will be the only judge of whether the plastics hold up under the Thailand sun. I was at the lights next to a TMax that the guy said was a year old and the black plastic parts were very faded, however a quick clean and some of that stuff they use in car washes will probably do the job.

As for me I am just about to hit 2000km on mine (had the 1000km service which cost 1000baht) and I am still loving it. I get lots of positive comments and when I park it I often see people come over to check it out. I actually had 2 Americans follow me into my garage to ask about it. They were very impressed with it.

The biggest fear most people have is that it is new to Thailand and they fear long waits and expensive parts. I can't tell you whether that will be true or not but what I can say is that once you ride one of these you won't want to get back on your PCX.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see the Honda shirts in the picture biggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I think its mentioned in Richards review that SYM makes some parts of Honda

SYM have had a long relationship with Honda. For many years they manufactured Honda badged Honda Cubs for the company. More proof IMHO that they build quality products.

Bump!

Any new owners or reviews?

I posted a review of my first 1000km on the Maxsym 400i in the last couple of weeks so it should be easy to find

i know, but you the only one and would be good to have an pinion of a few people. seeing more and more on the road, surprising no one else has posted

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As mentioned just above, there is a new version of the Sym 300i GTS EVO with 278 cc engine, larger front fork, 14 inch front wheel and greatly increased HP of 29, rather than 23. The bike is shown on the Sym Taiwan website under "New Sym 300i Evo/Joymax. I'd hate to buy the current 23 HP model and have this new one show up a month later.

• Like 1

I managed to find a review which stated 24 Hp for the 300i but have not been able to find any reference to 29hp. 400 gives 35 hp apparently?

Its the "New GTS/JOYMAX" (278cc). The engine has been redesigned and it has noticeable more power than the "old 300GTS" (263cc). SYM itself doesn't offer power figures. But here is a german website that states 21.3kw (which should be around 29hp iirr) laugh.png

Edited by wantan

I managed to find a review which stated 24 Hp for the 300i but have not been able to find any reference to 29hp. 400 gives 35 hp apparently?

Its the "New GTS/JOYMAX" (278cc). The engine has been redesigned and it has noticeable more power than the "old 300GTS" (263cc). SYM itself doesn't offer power figures. But here is a german website that states 21.3kw (which should be around 29hp iirr) laugh.png

Jeeeeez. The figures are on the little video when you click onto the 'New GTS/JOYMAX"

HP, Torque, etc.

The bike's so good that they had to state all the features twice..... Before the credits. :D

The warm air outlet is a good idea for Thailand's cold season ;)

But in all honesty it looks like a good bike and has twice the ponies of the PCX150 but is it also worth twice the price? :)

The bike's so good that they had to state all the features twice..... Before the credits. biggrin.png

The warm air outlet is a good idea for Thailand's cold season wink.png

But in all honesty it looks like a good bike and has twice the ponies of the PCX150 but is it also worth twice the price? smile.png

Consider the 'warm air' outlet as a 'defroster' for those little bits of frozen chicken in a box from 7-11. By the time you ride from BKK to Pattaya.....should be nicely done. :)

• Like 1

The bike's so good that they had to state all the features twice..... Before the credits. biggrin.png

The warm air outlet is a good idea for Thailand's cold season wink.png

But in all honesty it looks like a good bike and has twice the ponies of the PCX150 but is it also worth twice the price? smile.png

You are comparing apples and bananas. The SYM GTS 300i and the Maxsym (400cc) are Maxiscooters. The PCX150 is a baby-dinosaur wink.png

Better compare it with a Yamaha Tmax or at least a Vespa 300.

We can also compare the Honda PCX150 with the Yamaha Tmax, the Tmax has 3.5 times the power and costs more than 7 times more. The Yamaha sells for 545,000 THB. So 150,000 THB for a Sym GTS 300i EVO is a pretty good price...

Yes it's not too bad price, any news about the Sym 250 cc model which should be much cheaper?

I only use my PCX150 as run about in Pattaya area so I just can't justify the upgrade but a 250cc, maybe if the price is right.

i checked 300 one 3-4 weeks ago in a Mall, overall quality is better that any Chinese but the storage compartment was in a sorry state as the saddle was shaking and the arm could not stay locked and suddenly saddle dropped down to my arm so had my first accident with it biggrin.png

But 400 one looks really OK. Both quality wise and for other factors and storage compartment has two arms instead of one so no shaking. i liked the design too.

400 looks promising and please do not buy 300.

300 cc one looks poor once you place them side by side with 400 one and for 50 k price different 400 is the no brainer to go.

Edited by loserlazer

I managed to find a review which stated 24 Hp for the 300i but have not been able to find any reference to 29hp.

You didn't look at the little video on the SYM website did you? rolleyes.gif

Well I did a month or so ago and it wasn't there thenlaugh.png Unlikely that there are here in LS yet? But one never knows?

This is obviously a response to KYMO 300i which is 299cc.

Yes it's not too bad price, any news about the Sym 250 cc model which should be much cheaper?

The old one used to be 250.6cc so was not in the low tax bracket. This bodes well for Thai sales.

Edited by VocalNeal