Gifted A Kawasaki Krr 150 Se - But No Ownership Papers

I have today, completely free, been given an old krr 150.

Not one to pass up a freebee, I took it and brought it back to Bangkok. To cut a long story short, the old owner passed away, and his missus was just wanting to get rid of it.

Mechanically, i've been told by someone totally independent that it was running fine, but was taken off the road two years ago for a new paint job, but as with many things in life, it never happened. Considering it is 20 years old, it doesn't look to my untrained eye to be in too bad shape, but it does need some TLC and a cosmetic make-over.

I have two sets of questions about the bike, the second set is about getting the thing up and running again, but before that is even discussed, I need the first set of questions answered.

This is where it gets a little complicated, and if you read the title to this thread, you'll know where it is going.

I have the bike, but the green book/log book/ownership papers are nowhere to be found,and short of conducting a seance, we obviously can't ask the old owner where it is.

What we do have is a letter from the local police to say that the log book has been lost, this we got today because my brother-in-law wasn't so keen to bring the bike back to Bangkok with no papers, just in case the BiB decided to stop us and ask a few questions.

Apparently the bike hasn't been taxed for about 6 years, and we're wondering if that was because he didn't have the log book. From what I understand, this is just a case of paying the back tax, easy enough.

However, the plot thickens, as we have also been told that a few years ago the old owner got a letter through basically informing him that the land transport department or whatever it is called, wanted to take his registration off of him. The jist of the letter was along the lines of 'your motorbike is now x number of years old, it must be ready for the scrap heap, and we want to give your reg plate to someone else.' The old owner ignored the letter, but this also could be why he never bothered taxing it after that.

So, does anyone know, can this situation be overcome, and can I get a new log book, and how much is it going to cost?

I want to ask also about getting the thing done-up, but if I can't make the bike legal, I won't bother.

Cheers.....'LL'

krr150se.jpg

all i know, if you can somehow prove that you are holding the bike for more than 5 years, you can get the bike on your name if you hold a work permit or residence permit.

I have the same problems with my cbr150 as we cannot get in touch with the owner anymore so i cannot get the bike on my name.

just check it out as i am not an expert on these.

Getting the name changed on the bike shouldn't be an issue other than we don't have the green book.

We have a copy of the previous owner's death certificate, the owner's wife will also testify to say it was bequeathed to my wife, a family member. I have no problem having it in her name.

We can't really prove we have had it for 5 years, we haven't even had it for 24 hours. That may be pushing it a bit, especially since we've only just moved back to LoS after six years in the UK.

We will be checking it out, I was just hoping someone with a little experience of doing something like this might be able to advise. It would be nice to be armed with a little knowledge it can be done before having to jump through the hoops of Thai officialdom.

Thanks for your reply though and good luck getting your bike sorted, it may be worth posting your experiences of that on here, it could be useful to someone.......thumbsup.gif

Edited by LucidLucifer

Getting the name changed on the bike shouldn't be an issue other than we don't have the green book.

We have a copy of the previous owner's death certificate, the owner's wife will also testify to say it was bequeathed to my wife, a family member. I have no problem having it in her name.

We can't really prove we have had it for 5 years, we haven't even had it for 24 hours. That may be pushing it a bit, especially since we've only just moved back to LoS after six years in the UK.

We will be checking it out, I was just hoping someone with a little experience of doing something like this might be able to advise. It would be nice to be armed with a little knowledge it can be done before having to jump through the hoops of Thai officialdom.

Thanks for your reply though and good luck getting your bike sorted, it may be worth posting your experiences of that on here, it could be useful to someone.......thumbsup.gif

i need to wait another 6 months as i am holding the cbr150 for 4.5 years now.

All i need to do is showing them my first tax payment years ago. Of course, these are all told me and i am not sure what i need to expect really. You know "TIT"

I do not have a green book either.

All i need to do is showing them my first tax payment years ago. Of course, these are all told me and i am not sure what i need to expect really. You know "TIT"

I'm sorry....?

So they are telling you to ride a bike on public roads for 5 years with no greenbook and thus no valid insurance policy???

I'm sorry....?

So they are telling you to ride a bike on public roads for 5 years with no greenbook and thus no valid insurance policy???

they were not telling me anything and i do not always do what others tell me but yes, i rode it for 4 years without a green book but tax certificates and no policemen asked me about it. And, yes no insurance but who needs insurance for a cbr150?

it is because of me, my lazy being, as i could not meet with the owner for 6 months to get it on my name and i lost contact.

About 1,5 years ago i bought a Yamaha TZR 150 on which tax wasn't paid for years i was told it would be very difficult to get that up to date so the seller ( a Thai) know a "guy" who kind of worked at the local transportation office, i don't remember exactly but for around 3500 thb ( shared with the seller of the bike) that "guy" got me a new green book( in my name) plate, insurance. I guess some "teamoney" was involved.but hey i got a new plate and book.( if you can't beat them join them) mayby it would have been possible to pay for the lost years of tax, but for 1750 baht it saved me problaly a lot of waiting and fuss.

But in this case the old green book was still there, but with knowing the right people sometimes a lot can be archieved, but the possibilty may vary by province.

Lucidlucifer: for later on good luck with with restoring the KRR .... nice bike.... and pretty fast.