Few Qualms Over Corruption: Thai Poll

webfact

Few qualms over corruption

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A significant number of people in their twenties believe a corrupt government is acceptable provided they stand to gain personally from such a government, according an Abac poll released yesterday.

Around 68 per cent of people aged 20-29 said they would accept a government that was corrupt, with male teenagers accepting the idea more than female.

The pollster said the survey showed a worrying trend among Thais' acceptance of an attitude that a corrupt government is OK, if they stand to benefit. Of total respondents, 63 per cent would accept a corrupt government, close to the figure in surveys in January and last November. The number of men who would take a corrupt government was more than women, at 66 to 62.5.

In terms of occupation, 66 per cent of traders accounted for the biggest group who accepted corruption, followed by students, 67 per cent.

Around 52 per cent believed the Yingluck government was not corrupt and thought PM Yingluck would not allow corruption in her government. Respondents cited a number of reasons: for instance that the PM fears a repeat in history (of the consequences of corruption) and not many corrupt projects had been exposed in the current government.

About 48 per cent said they did not trust the government in terms of corruption because it did not have a transparent system for the public to check on corruption.

They believe ministers, advisers, close aides in the Yingluck government continue to seek vested interests like those in previous governments.

The survey said respondents believed the PM was too inexperienced in politics and could not catch up with corrupt state officials and politicians.

The poll was conducted among 2,142 people over 18 from June 1-9 in 12 provinces across the country.

A majority of respondents, or 76 per cent, had faith in a democratic system as it allows freedom of expression and people had more chance to live in a just society. The rest said they had no faith because people quarrelled and took advantage of one another and the country was polarised. About 59 per cent believed the chaos in Parliament recently was acceptable and thought it was normal for democracy; 40 per cent said it was not acceptable and not normal.

About 68 per cent accept the military's role, but 31 per cent said they were not happy with its actions; 71 per cent did not agree there would be a coup. They thought a coup would not solve the country's problems as coup-makers only want to support vested interests. And a coup would take the country many steps back economically.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-11

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you educate Thais on corruption? Most will admit it's here and it happens. Try to explain why it's completely rotten and backwards and most stick their fingers in their ears and start singing 'la la la la'.

This is the Thai way.

• Like 1

But still no reason to stop fighting. Education is going to play a vital role on how Thailand shapes up.

from the sounds of this poll, Thailands future for the next few generations is acceptance of the corrupt politicians, as long as there are a few crumbs to be had. Either way, Thailands economic future is not looking too good, who ever is in power.

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

Around 68 per cent of people aged 20-29 said they would accept a government that was corrupt, with male teenagers accepting the idea more than female.

Thinking extremely short-term is a common teenage trait. I don't know many teenagers or 20-somethings planning their retirement or thinking about leaving a stable prosperous society for their kids and grandkids. I think the age group of those polled definitely slants the figures somewhat.

I would expect the teenagers views to change as they get older and have kids, they might want a government who is not plundering the country for short-term thrills, rather a government that is building a stable successful economy for future generations.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

A significant number of people in their twenties believe a corrupt government is acceptable provided they stand to gain personally from such a government, according an Abac poll released yesterday.

Pretty much says it all!

• Like 1

Thinking extremely short-term is a common teenage trait. I don't know many teenagers or 20-somethings planning their retirement or thinking about leaving a stable prosperous society for their kids and grandkids. I think the age group of those polled definitely slants the figures somewhat.

I would expect the teenagers views to change as they get older and have kids, they might want a government who is not plundering the country for short-term thrills, rather a government that is building a stable successful economy for future generations.

An age group of 20-29 doesn't suggest anything teenage about this poll!

• Like 1

An age group of 20-29 doesn't suggest anything teenage about this poll!

The OP calls them teenagers. However most 20-29s, including myself when I was that age, don't usually think long-term and are often amazingly narcissistic which would certainly explain the high number of people polled who would gladly see their granchild's future plundered so they themselves can buy a nice car.

[The failed state will arrive not long after the Dubai Thai PM returns. Sounds a bit like The Lord of the Rings 3rd installment "Return of the King".

If Yingluck uses any more of those skin-bleaching chemicals she could play Gollum.

• Like 1

I find the overt corruption more refreshing and "honest" than the more covert and sophisticated corruption that exists in developed countries like the USA and Great Britain. When westerners point the finger at Thailand, I find it quite amusing. Either they are blind to the widespread corruption in their own political systems, or they are in complete denial. At least I have access in Thailand because I am just as able to slip an official a couple of thousand baht as much as the next guy. In the USA, I am not allowed access.

• Like 2

I find the overt corruption more refreshing and "honest" than the more covert and sophisticated corruption that exists in developed countries like the USA and Great Britain. When westerners point the finger at Thailand, I find it quite amusing. Either they are blind to the widespread corruption in their own political systems, or they are in complete denial. At least I have access in Thailand because I am just as able to slip an official a couple of thousand baht as much as the next guy. In the USA, I am not allowed access.

You are allowed access in the USA. It just costs a small fortune.

"Behind every great fortune there is a great crime." Balzac(?)

It is not unusual for people to want to be financially better off, and there are 3 methods - good fortune, hard work and criminality.

Hence lotteries are popular despite appalling odds, and filthy rich criminals are admired because where are the publicly lauded role models who earned their money through entrepreneurship, skill and dedication?

• Like 2

Thank you. I quite agree. Unfortunately, it doesn't make it helpful for most people in either country.

Larger countries just hide their corruption better. Look at Ben Bernanke, chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve - he "lost" almost $600 million and has not been brought to task. I've been following this one closely, and it appears that it will be swept under the rug. And this is just one case of just about every U.S. politician, each of which should be hanging their head in shame.

• Like 1

I doubt if there is a country in Asia where corruption is not the norm when doing business,Singapore possibly an exception.

It's been that way for a very long time hence the general acceptance by the younger generation here in Thailand and it's not going to change anytime soon!

Lice produce nits. you have to punish/get rid of the breeders if you want to clean up the system. Education starts at home, as does the outlook on life/corruption etc.

To say a late 20's age individual thinks short term, tells me they learned this from their home upbring or lack thereof. To propose solutions to faults, you have to be accepting of your own, instead of pointing fingers or saying the other people do it.

Thank you. I quite agree. Unfortunately, it doesn't make it helpful for most people in either country.

Corruption in western countries is slightly more discreet and works at higher levels - such as lobbying groups etc.

In Thailand it exists at all levels of society and is endemic. Try giving a UK or US policeman $50 after they have pulled you over for speeding, DUI or possession and see if you get the same response from the policeman as you would a policeman in Thailand. If you are confident that the western police officer would give the same response to your bribe as the Thai police officer, then I challenge you to go to the states or the UK commit a crime and see if your bribe is accepted by the attending officer(s) and you walk away from the crime without being arrested.

And I am fairly sure once the media get hold of any corruption allegations against a politician or policeman, for example, they would publicly name and shame and hound that person (rightly or wrongly) until they get to the truth, as it is deemed in the public's interest to not have corrupt government officials. In Thailand the most we see is the cryptic 'a politician whose name starts with Q has received money .....' in the newspaper and then the story disappears.

So whilst I agree that corruption exist in both societies there are subtle but significant differences in how it is handled and perceived by the two societies.

But then a guilty and convicted corrupt policeman/woman in the US or the UK would lose his/her job AND a very lucrative pension

• Like 1