Can I Get A Motorcycle License

krobert6

I have a Thai wife and a house - TB in her name. I spend about 6 months a year in thailand, I have an Australian drivers license. I drive a motorbike regularly and fear of getting stopped by the police. I have an non imm 'O' visa.

Can I get a Thai Motorcycle license?

No licence,no medical cover, an international licence only lasts for 3 months at a time in this country. Yes, u can get a thai lic.The cops is the least of your worries.Massive medical bills are.

Edited by sandgroper2

No licence,no medical cover, an international licence only lasts for 3 months at a time in this country. Yes, u can get a thai lic.The cops is the least of your worries.Massive medical bills are.

Yes -= I know - I am ultra carefull driving one in Thailand - though Chiang Saen is a bit quiter than the large cities/towns.

So I can just apply for a car and motorcycle when I get to Thailand in July ?. I may get a car in the wifes name if I can find one cheap enough - but for now we have a motorbike :(

Yes -= I know - I am ultra carefull driving one in Thailand - though Chiang Saen is a bit quiter than the large cities/towns.

So I can just apply for a car and motorcycle when I get to Thailand in July ?. I may get a car in the wifes name if I can find one cheap enough - but for now we have a motorbike sad.png

If you navigate this site it has some good basic info.

Just go along to your local DLT office ASAP and get your licenses.

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/thai-driving-licences/

So I can just apply for a car and motorcycle when I get to Thailand in July ?. I may get a car in the wifes name if I can find one cheap enough - but for now we have a motorbike sad.png

http://thailand.angl...iving-licences/

Thanks,

Had a look at the site and cannot see where the DLT office is near Chiang Saen.

The thing that worries me is the Certificate or Letter of Residence the last time I went to immigration to get a Yellow T Ban - they told me I had to be in the country for 6 months

Thanks,

The thing that worries me is the Certificate or Letter of Residence the last time I went to immigration to get a Yellow T Ban - they told me I had to be in the country for 6 months

If you navigate the site you find this :- http://driving.infor...h/thai-dmv.html

Address confirmation, take the wife, her house book and her ID and get a letter from the local Police.

Edited by Kwasaki

My boyfriend get in and out Thailand by tourist visa 2 moths period of time For about 6 months now but he is not a residence yet. Can he get Thai License and how? Thank you.

from the information I have gleaned so far you CANNOT get a licence on a tourist visa

Edited by krobert6

Thanks,

I must lead a blessed life.To get my residence letter from immigration all I did was take myTOT bill and passport to immigration and got it in 30 minutes. I also got both truck and motorcycle in one morning. Did the tests and received the license. If you have an immigration o it should be simple.

It is actually not a big deal I am now told.......But instead I just went to my embassy & bought it for $50

raise right hand done in 3 minutes.

You can get one at Imm for 500THB....(again I am told)

If you have a International permit & your home country license is for bikes & cars as mine was you should be

able to get your Thai car & bike licenses (two cards) easily as I did

Only one proof of residence is needed even though the car & bike applications are separate.

They make a copy. Dont forget your passport too.

My boyfriend get in and out Thailand by tourist visa 2 moths period of time For about 6 months now but he is not a residence yet. Can he get Thai License and how? Thank you.

from the information I have gleaned so far you CANNOT get a licence on a tourist visa

I managed to get both car and bike license on a tourist visa, i'm in and out of thailand all the time so usually just come on a tourist visa, i was after a thai license so me and the girlfriend went to the DLT in sakon nahkon, i took my passport and uk license but when i got there i was told i needed to go to immigration and get a proof of residence, to do this my gf's father came with me as he had to fill out a few forms to say that during my time in thailand i would be staying at his house, once this was done i also needed a few passport photo's and was given a certificate in thai that i was told allowed me to get a driving license and would also allow me to buy a car or motorbike in my name, i returned to the DLT with certificate and was issued my thai licenses after completing a few basic colour blindness and reactions tests, there only valid for a year but was told to go back just before the year is up and they will be re-issued for another year...

I once had a house in wifes name,car in wifes name, driving lic. in my name. Now, all I have left is driving lic. in my name. Whats that tell ya?

Tells me you are so like so many others on this site and do not accept that anything works out - bit like any normal divorced male

Address confirmation, take the wife, her house book and her ID and get a letter from the local Police.

This is correct, I know because I did it. The police will give you the letter for nothing, though I think they were expecting 100-200B for their troubles. (Which I gave them.)

This is correct, I know because I did it. The police will give you the letter for nothing, though I think they were expecting 100-200B for their troubles. (Which I gave them.)

Another good avenue for me to explore - many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

did you get a bike license in your country?

If you have you get a licence straight away, if not you will have to take the test and drive around the course, i was issued a car and bike licence just on my car licence back home and on a tourist visa, but after 1 week i got a call saying have to hand bike licence back as there has been a mistake, well really a new man in charge apparently who was checking up on licences issued, was no big deal went back handed it in, and did the tests.

did you get a bike license in your country?

No - just a car one

If you have you get a licence straight away, if not you will have to take the test and drive around the course, i was issued a car and bike licence just on my car licence back home and on a tourist visa, but after 1 week i got a call saying have to hand bike licence back as there has been a mistake, well really a new man in charge apparently who was checking up on licences issued, was no big deal went back handed it in, and did the tests.