PM Yingluck To Spend Week Inspecting Flood Prevention Measures

webfact

POLITICS

PM to spend week inspecting flood prevention measures

The Nation

30183922-01_big.jpg

File photo : Yingluck

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today sets off on her four-day flood trail excursion to eight provinces, covering areas from downstream Pathum Thani to the north, as she inspects the progress of flood prevention measures.

Yingluck will chair a National Water Resources and Flood Policy Committee meeting before leading officials to Pathum Thani to inspect the Chulabhorn sluice gate and the flood control dyke along Khlong Rangsit.

After that, she will proceed to Rojana Industrial Estate in Ayutthaya to preside at a ceremony to hand over financial support for the building of flood prevention dykes at six industrial estates and parks in Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani.

In Ayutthaya, the premier will review a flood response plan drill in Sena district and water retention areas in Bang Ban district before returning to Bangkok.

On Tuesday, Yingluck will chair this week's Cabinet meeting before leaving for Sing Buri’s Phrom Buri district to inspect the flood retention area, Lam Chuad sluice gate at Phra Ngarm subdistrict, and the dredging of Maenam Noi River in Bang Rachan district.

On the same day, she will also visit Chai Nat and take a boat trip to inspect the dredging of the Chao Phraya River in the Sing Buri-Chai Nat watercourse and visit the Chao Phraya Dam to view a demonstration of the Single Command Centre’s operation from Government House.

She is scheduled to stay overnight in Chai Nat.

On Wednesday, Yingluck will be briefed by ministers responsible for flood response and also chair a videoconference meeting with governors in the Chai Nat area.

She will move on to Phitsanulok’s Bang Rakam district to see a water retention area, before visiting Sukhothai to inspect the Ban Hat Sapan Chan and Khlong Hok Bat sluice gates, which divert water from the Yom River to the Nan River. The premier and her entourage will visit Tak, staying overnight at the Bhumibol Dam.

On Thursday, the last day of the trip, Yingluck will be briefed on the water level at major dams and hold a teleconference with governors in the vicinity of Tak.

She will then take a helicopter to Chiang Mai to inspect the dredging work of the Ping River and be briefed on the overall progress of flood response preparedness in the upstream, midstream to downstream areas. She will return to Bangkok on Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-11

Awww thats nice, shes a good PM isnt she? taking time out of her busy schedule to go look at a few Klongs and Rivers when parliament is crumbling and falling down around us all... she didnt even bother to put her make-up on this morning, she was in such a rush to get out of the city and go inspect the water...

30183922-01_big.jpg

"Oooh! Look. There's a lesser spotted pingu. Now what was it I was supposed to pretend to look at?? I forgot. :( "

giggle.gif

Looking rather round, and dilapidated, isn't she? And who is it who fancies her again?

-mel. ;)

She will then take a helicopter to Chiang Mai to inspect the dredging work of the Ping River.

Well she better be quick because its already rising. coffee1.gif

She won't be travelling at night then.

30183922-01_big.jpg

"Oooh! Look. There's a lesser spotted pingu. Now what was it I was supposed to pretend to look at?? I forgot. sad.png "

giggle.gif

Looking rather round, and dilapidated, isn't she? And who is it who fancies her again?

-mel. wink.png

Surely there are plenty captions to go with this photo

"Is that my poo I see coming out that pipe ?"

"Is this were they put those korea pumps my brother bought last flood"

30183922-01_big.jpg

"Oooh! Look. There's a lesser spotted pingu. Now what was it I was supposed to pretend to look at?? I forgot. sad.png "

giggle.gif

-mel. wink.png

"How long will it take to flood out those people over there, they seem to be shouting something..."

Mosha, this helicoptor HAS got night vision, she has an appointment for a facial-spa-evening.

LOL

Was thinking this is just an excuse to check the defences on her various properties around the country and the her time in Cm certainly points to this. Anything to get away from the serious business of running a country.

Plausible deniability, ducking and diving to avoid any responsibility, while others do the dirty work. Have you ever seen an elected leader take so many road trips and then claim to know nothing of the most important matters, which is in itself a reason to be removed from office, at any government or private company.

30183922-01_big.jpg

giggle.gif

-mel. wink.png

"How long will it take to flood out those people over there, they seem to be shouting something..."

Are those coupists over there? Where are my body guards? Where is my military protection?

It is quite astonishing that a PM can take a full week looking at anti flood measures around her own country. I cannot imagine any other 'real' PM in the world that could devote such time to something that they would delegate to a junior Minister, they would be far to busy tending to matters of state.

30183922-01_big.jpg

giggle.gif

-mel. wink.png

Are those coupists over there? Where are my body guards? Where is my military protection?

"Are we in the right place, there's only one red shirt over there"

"If we put some boats over there it makes the water move away faster, Did you all know that? I will be Defence Minister soon as well so I will send the Navy"

Pretty good eight provinces in four days.

Glad to see she is spending so much time getting an in depth study of the work being done.

I can just see her report when she gets back to Bangkok. and they had this big machine with a big hose in the water and another one that had a big scoop on the end.cheesy.gif

And she is going to be the minister of defense. Get your white flags ready.whistling.gif

Mosha, this helicoptor HAS got night vision, she has an appointment for a facial-spa-evening.

LOL

Was thinking this is just an excuse to check the defences on her various properties around the country and the her time in Cm certainly points to this. Anything to get away from the serious business of running a country.

Agreed, the Parliament is her "boogieman"

30183922-01_big.jpg

giggle.gif

-mel. wink.png

Is that my 200.000 THB yesterday lunch coming there.wink.png

30183922-01_big.jpg

giggle.gif

-mel. wink.png

Is that my 200.000 THB yesterday lunch coming there.wink.png

And we turn it into green tea and the people can drink the floods away.rolleyes.gif
  • Like 1

The prime minister is doing her job. Nothing glamorous in inspecting (or observing) flood defenses. I've read all contributors up until lunch time Sunday and not seen a single intelligent offering. Thailand's flood defenses are very substantial and have been upgraded many times during my life time. Now new management procedures and reinforcements are needed to the existing systems in order to buy time until a major adjustment of flood defense infrastructure can be undertaken. This is what the prime minister has taken on board. Most of the above negative remarks are infantile and therefor unhelpful.

• Like 1

The prime minister is doing her job. Nothing glamorous in inspecting (or observing) flood defenses. I've read all contributors up until lunch time Sunday and not seen a single intelligent offering. Thailand's flood defenses are very substantial and have been upgraded many times during my life time. Now new management procedures and reinforcements are needed to the existing systems in order to buy time until a major adjustment of flood defense infrastructure can be undertaken. This is what the prime minister has taken on board. Most of the above negative remarks are infantile and therefor unhelpful.

Reminds me of Fawlty Towers, "Don't mention the Constitution".

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

And perhaps, as PM, the elected leader of the country she should turn her attention to more important tasks like national reconciliation, rising food costs, attending parliament etc and delegate the week long sight seeing trip to a junior minister or... god forbid... someone who actually knows something about flood defenses?

As was stated before, no real leader of a country will spend 5-7 days touring the country looking at drain pipes/flood defences - a day or two, possibly, but not a whole week when her government is trying to push through a bill that promises to divide the whole country...

but yeah, flood defences are important...

• Like 1

You should refresh your memory of the duties and functions of MPs (of which she is one) and the PM in a representative democracy based on the Westminster system, which Thailand's government is. while it is understood that a PM may on occasion be absent from parliament, her attendance record is abyssmal, her voting record next to zero, and her participation in debate non-existant.

First and foremost she is the leader of a political party, a job she leaves to others.

• Like 2