Best Route Bangkok To Lamphun

Sophon

The GF and I are planning a possible move to Mae Tha district in Lamphun, so will be driving up there and back to Bangkok a few times over the next few months. It's a fair distance to drive, so we want to use the best (which probably means quickest) route. As far as I can see we will have to follow the Highway 1 at least as far as Thoen, but what about the last bit to Mae Tha:

• The shortest route at 666 km is (according to Google maps) 106 => 1274 => 1184 => 4010.
    However, parts of this route (especially parts of the 106) seems to snake through the mountains so it may not be the quickest, or indeed the most pleasant route to drive.
  • Following more major roads would mean continuing on from Thoen to Lampang on the 1 => 11 => 1033.
    This route is (again according to Google maps) 682 km, so 16 km longer but not nearly as twisty.

My gut fealing is that the second alternative (which we took the last time up there), despite being a little longer, is probably still the quicker option. Have anyone tried driving the other route, and if so how was it?

Of course, if anyone can suggest a third and better route, then that is very welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Sophon

Second one, by a country mile. You want to stay on Highway 1 and then 11 as long as possible. The other ones are not nice, especially not at night. And to save 16 km, that's a no-brainer.

By all means give the other one a try though, if only to check out the scenery; you'd want to get acquainted with that area anyway I suppose.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I suspected that the "main" route would be the quicker one, we took that one when we went up north last month (so know about the potholes). I would never drive at night, it seems like my night vision is quite poor and with just my headlights I find it hard to follow the twists and turns of the road.

Still, just for the experience is might be worth taking the "scenic route" once (when 'm not in a hurry).

Sophon

I live In Mae Tha. I would suggest taking the # 1 highway way via Nakon Sawan and Tak. Its a dual lane separated highway and relatively easy drive. Not much scenery though. The alternate route via Uttaradit and Den Chai is a lot more scenic but its crowded and you often get slowed down by slower drivers as parts are only two lanes. Some parts were under construction the last time I drove on it.You also drive through some very hilly countryside. Once you get stuck behind a truck, you get a lot of suicidal passing attempts.

The 106 is great fun on a moorbike between Thoen and Li, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a good, enjoyable ride.

So definitely the Asia Highway all the way to Lampang, then the 11 over the mountains to Lamphun.