Slow Gprs Connection

Totster

Why has my GPRS connection been so slow the last week or so..

I still have the same signal strength, the setup hasn't change, so why is it suddenly so slow that I can't even load pages sometimes...

Last week it was the same or sometimes better than a dialup connection (that i'm used to), so now it is a real drag..

Can anything be done, or is that just the way it is ?

totster :o

Can you run "tracert thaivisa.com" for example? You might get a good idea about your route to Thaivisa, how long each step takes, and where bottlenecks are. Or "ping thaivisa.com" to see if how fast it takes to connect and if there are any data losses.

If you use Opera browser you can look at the status window when you open any page and see if it's the slow download speed or bad connection - if stuck on "sending" or "looking up" it means that the connection is faulty and you might try to reconnect, or at least open new pages in one window at a time, not five-six at once. If download speed is low 70bps instead of 3Kbs (still low but normal for GPRS browsing) then it's the network problem - either GPRS or the Internet.

When you know what, or where the problem is it's easier to complain.

Ok..

Yes... I am with AIS..! (no other choice where I am)

I ran the tracert a few times yesterday...

Only 2 hops to get to Thaivisa, but typically it takes around 25 times to do this as it keeps timing out.

When I ping Thaivisa I normally loose 50% of data packets, if not 75% oor 100%.. and the average roundtrip varies between 800ms and 5000ms

I've not even been able to download any pages today until now, with the ping saying unable to resolve... and then the connection drops !

I called AIS to see if there were any problems in the area.. and although she was helpful, she couldn't really help... she is getting an engineer to call me back.

totster

I doubt that you can reach Thaivisa in two hops only. The first hop should be to AIS server, the second to ISP, and that's only to connect to the Internet. Two hops you've seen is something else.

If your ping loses 50% of data and takes 5,000 ms it's AIS problem, not Internet's - it can't be that bad.

Take down the IP numbers of the first few hops and ping them each a few times. The first should be something like 192.168.0.1 if you connect to Wide Area Network, WAN, and it's the AIS server. I don't use my GPRS today so I'm talking from the memory, and I use Dtac, but the setup should be similar. If there's no data loss and the speed is reasonable than GPRS is working Ok. Try the next IP number from your tracert and so on until you find where the bottleneck is.

If I get stuck with Dtac - there's no data transfer in monitor window but the connection is "live", then diconnecting and reconnecting again usually does the trick, easier than wating for the connection to fix itself. It takes only two seconds and is free, unlke on dial-up.

Update....

The problem seems to have sorted itself.. not sure whether this is a result of speaking to the engineer or not.. :o

When I ping i get all 4 packets returned at an average of 839ms

when tracert it goes to 10.217.163.1 two times then after about 10-15 timeouts it goes to 69.93.20.90 which is thaivisa

happy again :D

thanks for your help all

totster :D