Going To Chiangmai In July

daleyboy

Off to Cm in July with the mother and father inlaw my step daughter and my nephew, we will also have a new born baby with us. Been looking for a hotel that is reasonably priced that can accept a big family like this.

Anyone know if i could get something similar to a serviced apartment for 1 week with 2 or 3 bedrooms. The kids are too young to be in a room of their own so if we go the hotel option it would have to be 2 rooms with 1 of these being a family room.

I dont want to spend a fortune on the rooms i only want to spend about 1000 baht a night per room, so i am not looking for 5 star luxury but we would like a swimming pool.

I would really like to go with the apartment root so if anyone has any info on a house or apartment i caould rent for 1 week let me know :o

What do you mean by quite central? The pics look quite nice but is dosent tell you where the hotel is. The price certainly looks good. Do you know what the family facilities are like?

Edit// just saw the back button and seen the location of the hotel, looks good mate. Do you know of any apartments as well?

Edited by daleyboy

City of Lotus

viangbuamansion

here's a couple more for you. I'm sure some of the long timers here will know more.

These are actually the same place - Viangbua Mansion. The "City of Lotus" version is misleading - there aren't any 2-bedroom apartments at Viangbua except an enormous penthouse-type thing on the top floor. July is low season and most places won't be as busy as now - so there's maybe a very slim chance that they would rent it short-term but I doubt they'll let it go at (say) 3,000 baht a night for a week.......... (they list it at 100,000 per month). Still, I never saw it occupied anytime while I was there, so maybe it's worth asking?

I have often recommended Viangbua (and stayed there 3 times for a total of 12 weeks in 2005) but I wonder if it's appropriate in this case. There is no pool and you'll definitely need your own transport if you're not going to be taking taxis every day.

I stayed at the Suriwong a few years ago, right across the street from the night bazaar. Good clean rooms and price around 1200B. Great breakfast buffet -- both Thai and falang fare. Hope it is still the same.

http://www.wayfarersthailand.com/suriwong.htm

Couple months ago I stayed at Empress Hotel right down the street from Suriwong. Don't know the rate for sure as it was on tour payed for by my wife's family. Much fancier and very nice -- web site below shows rates around 1800B.

http://www.chiangmaihotels.wayfarersthaila...mpresshotel.htm

Thanks for the links chuckok. I found that galare apartment one as well.

Not sure what to make of the family room though, they say 2+2 beds and 2 bathrooms, now do you think that means 2 bedrooms? or just 2 beds in one bedroom? if it is 2 bedrooms ten that would be ideal.Think i will have to get the wife to call Thailand to confirm this for me. :o

Edited by daleyboy

I highly recommend this one Chiang Mai Serviced House. Stayed there with the family recently. Two storey house: 2 bedrooms, large living room and a great location. Weekly rate is 4900 Bht (in July).

Viangbua Mansion is nice. However its location isn't so good as you generally need to walk to the main road to get a taxi. Furthermore it is a bit noisy from the close by market during the day, and a bar at night (Steve2UK can comment on this). Have no information about the other accommodations.

Cheers.

G

That looks great Gulliver. How easy is it for transport? Say to the night market or that sort of area? Are there taxis readily available? I would just normally rent a motorbike, but with 7 of us that might be a bit difficult :o

I highly recommend this one Chiang Mai Serviced House. Stayed there with the family recently. Two storey house: 2 bedrooms, large living room and a great location. Weekly rate is 4900 Bht (in July).

Viangbua Mansion is nice. However its location isn't so good as you generally need to walk to the main road to get a taxi. Furthermore it is a bit noisy from the close by market during the day, and a bar at night (Steve2UK can comment on this). Have no information about the other accommodations.

Cheers.

G

Looks to me that the Serviced House is a great bet - much more space and closer to the city than Viangbua. I would imagine that you have to walk the 150 metres to the moat road to hail a taxi but it's always busy so I doubt it would be a long wait......... then about 10 mins to Night Bazaar?

I only ever once heard the market when I've stayed at Viangbua - when I was in one of the bigger apartments on the top floor that overlooks it. Not intrusive then and I couldn't hear a thing when I was in any of the other 7th/8th floor apartments - might be an issue lower down but I think those are all rooms/studios rather than apartments? I've never heard any bar noise.

One last thought. Expect it to be raining a LOT at that time of year...............

Edited by Steve2UK

That looks great Gulliver. How easy is it for transport? Say to the night market or that sort of area? Are there taxis readily available? I would just normally rent a motorbike, but with 7 of us that might be a bit difficult :o

Actually both the Central shopping mall (west) and the night bazaar (east) are at walking distances from there (look for Chang Puak Gate on the maps for reference). Alternatively, "Red" taxis are readily available from the busy Mani Noppharat Rd (about 80-100 m from the residence).

Cheers,

G

Edited by Gulliver_in_LOS

I only ever once heard the market when I've stayed at Viangbua - when I was in one of the bigger apartments on the top floor that overlooks it. Not intrusive then and I couldn't hear a thing when I was in any of the other 7th/8th floor apartments - might be an issue lower down but I think those are all rooms/studios rather than apartments? I've never heard any bar noise.

Don't get me wrong. I actually liked it there: friendly staff and residents, free parking, etc. We (my wife and our newborn baby) stayed in one of the 8th floor's apartments facing the city.

Cheers,

G

• 5 months later...
Off to Cm in July with the mother and father inlaw my step daughter and my nephew, we will also have a new born baby with us. Been looking for a hotel that is reasonably priced that can accept a big family like this.

Anyone know if i could get something similar to a serviced apartment for 1 week with 2 or 3 bedrooms. The kids are too young to be in a room of their own so if we go the hotel option it would have to be 2 rooms with 1 of these being a family room.

I dont want to spend a fortune on the rooms i only want to spend about 1000 baht a night per room, so i am not looking for 5 star luxury but we would like a swimming pool.

I would really like to go with the apartment root so if anyone has any info on a house or apartment i caould rent for 1 week let me know :o

Here is a luxury guesthouse by the river, no pool though, http://www.moondanceriver.com