Someone Just Ran Into My Car, What To Do?

Ok, My new Ranger which I have only had for a few months has got a nice dent (5 mins ago) in the passenger door from someone who cant park.

He does not have insurance, I took a video and pictures of the dent for both cars with number plates.

We got premium insurance, they guy "suggests" we call out insurance company and just tell them someone bumped it and ran away, I lol at that and said no, so I photocopied his licence and got his mobile number which I also tested to see if it was right which it was.

Whats the next step?

I am about to ring the insurance company but thought I better ask some of you guys first what to expect.

Is it easier to just say it was a hit and run?

If so, does my premium go up next year?

Do I need to pay a excess for claiming it?

Thanks.

Call insurance.

The guy will have to pay the insurance, so you don't get charged for excess or higher premium next year. Unless you agree with him and tell the insurance you don't know who did it.

For me it would depend on his attitude.

Be careful BTW, some insurance policies have a higher excess in case their is no known perpetrator.

In addition, I had an accident like that once, the guy was rude to me so I called the insurance. He was making 6,000 Baht per month, but the next few months about half of that would go to the insurance company as payment for them repairing my car. No premium consequences for me and no excess for me, all paid for by insurance and they collected again from him (he was driving a motorbike, I a car). If he had been polite and apologetic I would have claimed myself without him to blame.

He 99.9% sure does have the compulsory 3rd party insurance though.

Edited by stevenl

Photo the number on the car and perhaps the guy and call the insurance number. Say nothing and the rep will do the rest. Don't move your car.

As TIT - Serious question: Surely its ok to move the car if its blocking the highway, or in a dangerous position?

Photo the number on the car and perhaps the guy and call the insurance number. Say nothing and the rep will do the rest. Don't move your car.

As TIT - Serious question: Surely its ok to move the car if its blocking the highway, or in a dangerous position?

Don't worry about that. Seems the OP is in a car park anyway, BUT the natives understand an accident problem and get round it. smile.png

Call the police and your insurance company, let them deal with it.

Only insurance, they are their to look after their interests, which coincide with yours.

Well, I was thinking that OP's company would not be interested to pay, as the other guy didn't have an insurance. So the money should come from his pocket, hence a police maybe could be a good idea. smile.png

So the Thai man ran into your car, he has no insurance. And you are asking if you should let him go and your insurance covers him.

This is way things like this happen!

You want to help someone that broke the rules.

He drove with no insurance

He hit your car

He chose to do these actions

If he is left to live this way, why would he change??

You think he will let you go???

I can't believe you even asked this question.

Only insurance, they are their to look after their interests, which coincide with yours.

Well, I was thinking that OP's company would not be interested to pay, as the other guy didn't have an insurance. So the money should come from his pocket, hence a police maybe could be a good idea. smile.png

First of all, he very, very likely has insurance. After all there is the compulsory insurance in Thailand, which is a 3rd party insurance, exactly what is needed. Secondly, why would the OP's company no be interested to pay? They can always recoup the money paid from the guilty party if no insurance, but much more likely from the guilty party's insurance. And even if no guilty party present, they still have to pay, that is what the insurance is for.

To protect yourself next time you should

Stop and do not move the car

Note down the number of the car that hit you

call your insurance.

The Rep will come out immediately and negotiate with the police for you. You will get a paper to take to the place to fix your car immediately.

Your insurance MAY increase a couple of thousand next year.

If you do not

You will need to go to the police station to get a police report

Your claim will take time to process

Your insurance WILL increase next year.

First of all, he very, very likely has insurance. After all there is the compulsory insurance in Thailand, which is a 3rd party insurance, exactly what is needed. Secondly, why would the OP's company no be interested to pay? They can always recoup the money paid from the guilty party if no insurance, but much more likely from the guilty party's insurance. And even if no guilty party present, they still have to pay, that is what the insurance is for.

The compulsory 3rd party insurance you are referring to doesn't cover property damage so it is irrelevant in this case.

"call your insurance. - The Rep will come out immediately "

Often hear this quote, How is this possible?

Do all insurance companies have agents in all areas who instantly drop everything to respond to these accidents?

What's the average wait time for a rep to arrive at your accident and sort everything out?

huh.png

out?

Do all insurance companies have agents in all areas who instantly drop everything to respond to these accidents?

What's the average wait time for a rep to arrive at your accident and sort everything huh.png

Normally 3 week's, why are you in a hurry?

What's the average wait time for a rep to arrive at your accident and sort everything out?

huh.png

Yes they do have reps. Thats how it's done here and why they give you a sticker or card with the phone number.

5 minutes in my accident.

They do have a network of inspectors...I do not know how much cross company representation takes place. THey will be there before any ambulance will.

About 10 minutes for mine as it was a bit outside the city. But they took complete charge of the scene and did all the mediation between me and the police.

Call insurance.

The guy will have to pay the insurance, so you don't get charged for excess or higher premium next year. Unless you agree with him and tell the insurance you don't know who did it.

For me it would depend on his attitude.

Be careful BTW, some insurance policies have a higher excess in case their is no known perpetrator.

Someone who couldn't drive a manual car, but unfortunately was, rolled down a small slope into my Ranger during Songkran. They also didn't have insurance so had to trot off to the ATM and pay our insurance guy who, despite it being April 14th, was there within 30mins. He did all the paperwork so we could get the dent fixed without having to claim.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

It's scary that people are driving around in vehicles who have no idea what to do in the event of an accident

...isn't it scarier that people are driving around with no insurance...and nothing is being done about it.....insurance is compulsory around the world...or no car registration or license....

It's scary that people are driving around in vehicles who have no idea what to do in the event of an accident

...isn't it scarier that people are driving around with no insurance...and nothing is being done about it.....insurance is compulsory around the world...or no car registration or license....

Been said here many times before that there is no credible police force. Folk have no license, road tax, insurance cos the risk of being caught is near nil, but if they do it's a silly fine and on your way. If they are caught again, a silly fine and on your way. BUT, if you have an accident with these folk, none of that comes into the equation, they try and screw you. sad.png