Satellite Dish

Brightonman

I bought a new TV a few days ago from Big C in Nakhon Pathom, where I live. With the TV came a free GMMZ Smart digital satellite receiver.

However, I have been unable to hook this up to a satellite dish. Big C were no help, so I asked in a shop in town and arranged for them to fit a dish this morning. They arrived, but could not fit it as my apartment block owner will not allow them to drill the walls. The guy in the shop suggested another supplier for a satellite dish with a stand, but they couldn't help either. He suggested I had to buy a dish with stand in Bangkok.

So, does anyone know where I can get a satellite dish with stand that I can get in the van back to Nakhon Pathom or get delivered? Or a company that can come and set one up here in Nakhon Pathom without drilling the walls? I live on a south facing wall and have chromed balcony rail which I wouldn't have thought would be that difficult to attach to.

Any help appreciated

In Europe i used two different ways to solve this problem.

Easiest way: get a stand for a sunscreen, one where you can put some stones in it, mount your dish to this. its easy and cheap, but you will have problems when the wind gets a bit high.

As you said you have a rail i would recommend to use this: 00044272awd.jpg

In europe you can buy it at amazon, you might find something like this in shops like thaiwatsadu.

hth

I would have thought if that was possible they would have done that when they turned up this morning... But my lack of Thai and the lack of English around here makes everything difficult to explain... So who knows if that was possible?

Why not run a cable up to the roof?

I purchased a satellite dish stand last week from Satellite Tv Thailand in Bangkok they ship cash on delivery anywhere in Thailand .

The order proccess was very simple i just ordered online and select COD the goods was ship and i had to goto my local post office to pay and collect the stand . The stand is very strong and stable i would advise this to anyone who is in your position just google satellitetvthailand

I hope that helps you just order online they ship same day EMS so you get in 2 days normally !

I would have thought if that was possible they would have done that when they turned up this morning... But my lack of Thai and the lack of English around here makes everything difficult to explain... So who knows if that was possible?

Why not run a cable up to the roof?

I only know I live in a complex with like 6, 9 story buildings and those with dishes have their cables running up to the roof from their balcony. Take a look on your roof to see if there are dishes up there. My place is still wired from when they had a dish and they snake in the cable in the same hole the a/c uses.

Edited by Nisa

I purchased a satellite dish stand last week from Satellite Tv Thailand in Bangkok they ship cash on delivery anywhere in Thailand .

The order proccess was very simple i just ordered online and select COD the goods was ship and i had to goto my local post office to pay and collect the stand . The stand is very strong and stable i would advise this to anyone who is in your position just google satellitetvthailand

I hope that helps you just order online they ship same day EMS so you get in 2 days normally !

Thanks for that! I have txted them and will ring them Monday if no reply

I only know I live in a complex with like 6, 9 story buildings and those with dishes have their cables running up to the roof from their balcony. Take a look on your roof to see if there are dishes up there. My place is still wired from when they had a dish and they snake in the cable in the same hole the a/c uses.

I txted the guy who spoke English in the shop here in NP but he hasn't replied. I don't think they would allow the cables as they would need to be fixed to the wall. The lady in the office downstairs has a GMM box so they do have the dish on the roof.. The other people in the building, including me, get a type of basic satellite TV including the Thai channels, Lotus Macau film channel and NHK and DW TV via a socket in the room.

Thanks for that! I have txted them and will ring them Monday if no reply

I live in a condo the dish stand is good for condos sine most cannot have a sat dish

with the sat stand from satellitetvthailand you dont need to put outside the dish will work through a window

so what i did was put it inside on my living room floor

I have uploaded a pic so you can see what i did and i get 98% signal without any problems even through the window

post-158097-0-18524700-1339838265_thumb.

• Like 1

Gmm Grammy uses the large 5.5 ft c-band dish, not the small dish that True uses (ku-band). Tri-pod stands are available or you can have your local iron/welding shop make one for you. The correct placement of the antenna in the limited outdoor space at your condo could be a problem since it must be pointed at an azimuth of approximately 240 degrees and a elevation of approximately 60 degrees to receive that satellite transmission depending on your geographic location.

The more I think about this, the more something doesn't sound right. I wonder if they were just looking for a donation from you. Take a look around your complex and see what other people have done. These dish installers have soooooo many ways (various clamps, screws, brackets, stands...) to hood up a dish. If they can't hook up the dish then they and the provider are going to lose customers. Maybe you just had an idiot our there. Try to call the provider and let them know you want their service but the installer couldn't hook up the dish because of a single obstacle of not being able to put screws in a wall.

I noticed you mention this is some free service but nothing is free ... even if it is just subscriber numbers for advertisement revenue, they want customers and I highly doubt you are the only person who can't mount a dish on the side of your building.

I went back to BIG C where i bought the TV and they were running a promotion on dishes etc. The salesperson was able to ring the company in Bangkok and after chatting to them they offered to come and fit a dish on my balcony last night for 2500baht! No one turned up last night and they weren't answering their phone, so I was fairly pissed off, but as I had watched England beat Sweden! the night before I was asleep by ten so didn't know if I had missed them.

Anyway, she rang this morning and said they were on their way over with the dish. So after most of the day fitting it (they made a hole with a screwdriver above the patio door, which I will have to fill in before I leave the apartment or will get fined. The pole is attached to my balcony rail and the small, bright orange dish is attached to the pole.They even offered to spray it another colour, and I am thinking about that.

Of the 400 channels on GMM, only one, Nat Geo Adventure, seems to be in English, although have seen one or two others with Eng subtitles.The quality of the picture is very low/blocky on a widescreen TV. So I'm not sure the 'free' sat box was worth all the effort/money, but still glad I did it..