Farang Selling Durian.

maiphedmaiaroi

yes thats right. I saw one last month, she works at the local market selling durian off the back of a van.

I was impressed with the skill she had cutting them open with that manky glove on.

Anyone else seen any farangs doing the kind of jobs stuggling thais do?

711? tesco? big c shelf stackers?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should assume that the farang lady selling durian is on the fast-track Thai assimilation program that has been alluded to in jingthing's poll on the subject.

I recently saw a farang lad selling cup cakes at a concession inside the lobby at Tesco's UD Town branch in Udon. Maybe the same punter? Looked vaguely French and he wasn't there when I came back out.

Going a tad off topic, shouldn't a farang technically have a WP for going shopping? It is a low-skill job that he is depriving from a Thai after all. Isn't it?

• Like 1

I do not think selling food is a profession that a farang can do.

If it is a foreign woman married to a Thai man, I think that they can do anything that a Thai can do once they become a citizen.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have never seen this, but I have seen Farang selling 'cup cakes' at a Thai market.

I was impressed with the dignity they have standing there doing a job that is not allowed under Thai law.

Depends.

In the case of a farang woman, I believe she has all the rights of a Thai if she is married to a Thai.

I think the Thai authorties don`t bother too much about this because marriages between Thai males and farang females are so few and far between.

They could be the business owner. Whats the difference between doing this as a business owner and running a restaurant or bar as a business owner ?

Or they could be a lug kreung that looks mostly farang like my son who people keep asking my wife who the mother is.

• Like 2

I have never seen this, but I have seen Farang selling 'cup cakes' at a Thai market.

I was impressed with the dignity they have standing there doing a job that is not allowed under Thai law.

Depends.

In the case of a farang woman, I believe she has all the rights of a Thai if she is married to a Thai.

I think the Thai authorties don`t bother too much about this because marriages between Thai males and farang females are so few and far between.

I think this is incorrect, I do not think a Farang woman can be selling fruit just because they are married to a Thai man.

Yes, you are correct to say “The Thai authorities don`t bother too much about this” but this doesn’t mean it's legal.

I personally think they should be ashamed of themselves, especially the Farang selling 'cup cakes' at the market. Geezz

Depends.

I think this is incorrect, I do not think a Farang woman can be selling fruit just because they are married to a Thai man.

Yes, you are correct to say “The Thai authorities don`t bother too much about this” but this doesn’t mean it's legal.

I personally think they should be ashamed of themselves, especially the Farang selling 'cup cakes' at the market. Geezz

You could well be right, as I`m really not sure because this subject doesn`t arise very often.

Are there any farang females on here that can give us some facts about this?

In the late 1990s there used to be French guy with an open air second hand book stall in Wat Chanasongkhram at the end of Khao San road in BKK. I once asked him if he was worried about the police from the police station across the road arresting him but he surmised they were too busy with more important stuff to bother him. Saw him there on and off for a few years so I guess he was right.

If it is a foreign woman married to a Thai man, I think that they can do anything that a Thai can do once they become a citizen.

Think you're right. Talk about sex discrimination. sad.png

But they can sell their bodies on Walking St Pattaya and BIB don't seem to mind the Russians etc doing it, that's a kind of food is it not .

Edited by MB1

That's pretty messed up. Are the economies back in their home countries that bad?

We might see an influx of Greeks into Thailand, if they can get the money for a plane ticket...laugh.png

Hope their not from the Island of Zante in Greece, the press dubbed it the Island of the blind as hundreds of inhabitants had been claiming an invalidity benefit of some kind for years and there was nothing wrong with them....A load of pretend blind beggars from Greece in Thailand, hope not.

Depends.

No different to a farang selling cupcakes in farang land IMO, a jobs a job to me..........

Depends.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but when I first came here, a Western woman could get citizenship almost instantly after marrying a Thai man.

Depends.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but when I first came here, a Western woman could get citizenship almost instantly after marrying a Thai man.

After a period of two years I think, from memory.

To be honest i have seen her a few times. Never knew her profesion. She speaks thai just like a thai, dresses like one and acts like one. identical apart from the look. I guess she is a resident here or maybe even have a thai passport. Maybe she prefers to live a simple life. fair play to her i say.

I would say from your description that she is not a farang. There are many Thais whose mother or farther are farang but the children are Thai citizens

If they are citizen they are Thais (ignoring that detail that Thai is a race and Nationality)