Canadian Sisters Died Of 'Food Poisoning' In Thailand Hotel

Lite Beer

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok well ... a crazy thought but here it goes .... Peanut allergy and seen that cooking here in Thailand uses a lot of peanuts in many dishes could it have been a very strong Peanut allergy ...?? Ok don't laugh or go Gaga .... peanut allergies can cause a quick death ... The British Dietetic Association warns that: "If untreated, anaphylactic shock can result in death due to obstruction of the upper or lower airway (bronchospasm) or hypotension and heart failure. This happens within minutes to hours of eating the peanuts.

Symptoms can include the following:[4]

vomiting

diarrhea

urticaria (hives)

angioedema (swelling of the lips, face, throat and skin)

acute abdominal pain

exacerbation of atopic eczema

asthma anaphylactic shock

The British Dietetic Association warns that: "If untreated, anaphylactic shock can result in death due to obstruction of the upper or lower airway (bronchospasm) or hypotension and heart failure. This happens within minutes to hours of eating the peanuts. The first symptoms may include sneezing and a tingling sensation on the lips, tongue and throat followed by pallor, feeling unwell, warm and light headed. Severe reactions may return after an apparent resolution of 1–6 hours. Asthmatics with peanut sensitivity are more likely to develop life threatening reactions".[4]

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimates that peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of food-related death.[

http://en.wikipedia..../Peanut_allergy

I know someone allegrgic to peanuts. They take every precuation imaginable including contacting airlines in advanced to make sure peanuts will not be served on a flight. Airlines do accomodate.

Point being, if they made it this long, they probably so very careful about this and there would be epi pins on them or in the room.

True i agree cause Peanut allergies are very severe BUT... as I said in Thailand even though you say I don't want spicy they will say My Pen Rai and then you still get a tongue burning dish ... I'm allergic to peanuts ... please do not put any ... My Pen Rai .. no put ... BUT ...?? People so allergic to peanuts cannot even suffer the mildest input of peanuts!! And I specify Peanuts because although someone may be allergic to peanuts... believe it or not ARE NOT allergic to any other kind of nuts ( almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans etc... ) I have a guest house and the 1st thing on my registration list is DO YOU HAVE ANY ALLERGIES?? And I do not allow any peanuts in cooking at all... too risky ... Anyway as i said only speculation of a possibility ...?? Peanut allergies do run in a family so I thought....??? Maybe !!

GentlemanJim: "Lead, arsenic or mercury poisoning may cause bleeding gums."

Yes, but only if it is CHRONIC (long term) exposure. That is not what happened with these women. They had some sort of acute (sudden) exposure to something (which could be warfarin or poisonous mushrooms--see my post above).

• Acute exposures generally manifest with the cholera-like gastrointestinal symptoms of vomiting (often times bloody) and severe diarrhea (which may be rice-watery in character and often bloody); these patients will experience acute distress, dehydration (often), and hypovolemic shock.

Chronic hepatic and renal damage is common with chronic exposure.http://emedicine.med...-clinical#a0217

note: the renal (kidney) damage caused by long-term (chronic) exposure could cause bleeding gums

And the point GK was trying to get through to you is that the bleeding gums from warfarin IS a long term thing. Vitamin K is not eradicated from the body quickly, do you get it now?

Sorry you're having trouble reading your sidekick's posts: he said ARSENIC can cause bleeding gums. I showed how it can NOT cause bleeding gums UNLESS it is LONGterm exposure.

And I know warfarin take a while to cause symptoms--24 hours, minimum. I stated that in a much earlier post.

Last time.

Arsenic causes bleeding gums in acute exposures. I just looked at CDC US website and it list, under hematology, Disseminated Intravscular Coagulation as a symptom of ACUTE and SUBACUTE Arsenic poisoning. Incidentally, CDC list about 50 other symptoms your abstracts and public websites don't list.

Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation is nothing more than a fancy name for bleeding at nose, mouth and venipuncture site along with extensive hematoas (bruising) with a distinct pathology (cause).

Edited by ttelise

As for the continued 'assertion' by one member who is becoming a thread killer and cynical user of this site, a spammer almost, about 'rat poisoning'....... do us a favour please? Bog off.

-mel.

I had to edit your long-winded quote above and whittle it down because in the entirety of it you said...absolutely nothing.

And I believe 'rat poison' is one possibility. Poisonous mushrooms are another, and perhaps more likely, cause (see above post).

Who mentioned you?

You're not that important!

-mel.

Edit: But yeah! You encouraged me to hit the report button too.

More fool your own rhetoric.

See, you're doing it again. Making a worthless post because you don't 'like' that I reveal the inconsistencies in your arguments.

Report yourself.

I'm not arguing. You are. That's the difference. wink.png

-mel.

oOOOps - I posted same time as ADMIN. Apologies.

Edited by MEL1

Ok well ... a crazy thought but here it goes .... Peanut allergy and seen that cooking here in Thailand uses a lot of peanuts in many dishes could it have been a very strong Peanut allergy ...?? Ok don't laugh or go Gaga .... peanut allergies can cause a quick death ... The British Dietetic Association warns that: "If untreated, anaphylactic shock can result in death due to obstruction of the upper or lower airway (bronchospasm) or hypotension and heart failure. This happens within minutes to hours of eating the peanuts.

vomiting

diarrhea

urticaria (hives)

acute abdominal pain

The British Dietetic Association warns that: "If untreated, anaphylactic shock can result in death due to obstruction of the upper or lower airway (bronchospasm) or hypotension and heart failure. This happens within minutes to hours of eating the peanuts. The first symptoms may include sneezing and a tingling sensation on the lips, tongue and throat followed by pallor, feeling unwell, warm and light headed. Severe reactions may return after an apparent resolution of 1–6 hours. Asthmatics with peanut sensitivity are more likely to develop life threatening reactions".[4]

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimates that peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of food-related death.[

I know someone allegrgic to peanuts. They take every precuation imaginable including contacting airlines in advanced to make sure peanuts will not be served on a flight. Airlines do accomodate.

Point being, if they made it this long, they probably so very careful about this and there would be epi pins on them or in the room.

True i agree cause Peanut allergies are very severe BUT... as I said in Thailand even though you say I don't want spicy they will say My Pen Rai and then you still get a tongue burning dish ... I'm allergic to peanuts ... please do not put any ... My Pen Rai .. no put ... BUT ...?? People so allergic to peanuts cannot even suffer the mildest input of peanuts!! And I specify Peanuts because although someone may be allergic to peanuts... believe it or not ARE NOT allergic to any other kind of nuts ( almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans etc... ) I have a guest house and the 1st thing on my registration list is DO YOU HAVE ANY ALLERGIES?? And I do not allow any peanuts in cooking at all... too risky ... Anyway as i said only speculation of a possibility ...?? Peanut allergies do run in a family so I thought....??? Maybe !!

You are correct. People just do not realize how deadly something like a peanut allergy can be. I didn't until being around daughter's friend who has the allergy. Very scarey.

vomiting

diarrhea

urticaria (hives)

acute abdominal pain

I never thought of anaphylactic shock at first, but you are so right, it can kill in a very short space of time. Peanuts and shellfish are killers in that respect. I have a friend who is from Oz who says that if he has one prawn or equivalent of a shellfish sauce it will likely kill him in hours. Family members can often share the same allergies, and you would have no idea knowing if the kitchen had put peanut products or seafood oil in your meal. It would explain a 'food poisoning' without it affecting other people. The only thing is though as ttelise says, by the age of 20+ you would think they would be both wise and fully aware of the dangers.

brownish fingernails can be (for my googling) a result of mercury poisoning (causes bleeding gums, too)

dark green can be a bacteria http://en.wikipedia....onas_aeruginosa

but no source said, it kills quickly, rather is a slow poisoning, but might depend on the dose...

with arsenic poisoning, nails seem violet-blueish...

Latest story I just read somewhere is that the fingernails were black....

Next thing it will be any colour of the rainbow all with a different cause but rest assured the autopsy will state

" Nock off copy Revlon nail polish made in China that changes colour because of it's inferior quality."

Can't we leave all this speculation aside until there is an official announcement at least then we can all go hell for leather in the pursuit of our beliefs.

• Like 1

You are correct. People just do not realize how deadly something like a peanut allergy can be. I didn't until being around daughter's friend who has the allergy. Very scarey.

For somebody who has a known peanut allergy, and who usually checks extremely carefully the composition of his meals, coming to Thailand would a pure suicide.

Peanuts are incorporated in many dishes and sauces, and there is NO WAY you can trust a waiter here

1) to undersdand your question in detail

2) to tell you the truth about what's exactly in the dish, simply because he has no clue but won't admit it.

I really doubt somebody with a peanut allergy and a working brain would come here for vacations....

but the peanuts in the dishes here are very visible...

they are put into the bowl as they are...

Really ? find them in a Satay sauce then. Good luck.

Plus, in local restaurants it's extremely common to re-use the same oil to fry different things.

How on hearth would you find out that your fish cakes haven't been fried in the same oil than the peanuts for the som tam of the previous customer ?

No way.

Edited by Justaword
  • Like 1

Pretty sure that aircon units recirculate the air in the room and not pull air from outside. I could be wrong on that.

what would the then need that monstrous outside-units with a fan for?

Well, I am am not a qualified HVAC guy.. but my understanding is that the compressor (which is outside) is used to compress the refrigerant and it is piped into the radiator fans inside as it's uncompressed causing the refrigerant to cool. The fans inside blow recirculated air across the cooled radiator blades and the heat from the air is transferred to the refrigerant that is carried back outside. The fans outside are to remove the heat that is being removed from the room via the refrigerant. Then the compressor re compresses the gas (this also creates heat) and the cycle continues. It's the decompression of the refrigerant that is what causes the gas to get cold.

Correct.Very well explained.

is the law student saying, the corpses were still in rigor mortis, when they were removed from the room?

from the newspaper:

A law student, he said he watched with some alarm as the bodies - which he said were garishly akimbo when he first saw them - were taken away and the room spotlessly cleaned.
Edited by dingdang
  • Like 1

vomiting

diarrhea

urticaria (hives)

acute abdominal pain

I never thought of anaphylactic shock at first, but you are so right, it can kill in a very short space of time. Peanuts and shellfish are killers in that respect. I have a friend who is from Oz who says that if he has one prawn or equivalent of a shellfish sauce it will likely kill him in hours. Family members can often share the same allergies, and you would have no idea knowing if the kitchen had put peanut products or seafood oil in your meal. It would explain a 'food poisoning' without it affecting other people. The only thing is though as ttelise says, by the age of 20+ you would think they would be both wise and fully aware of the dangers.

Yes you are right ... by the age of 20 you are smarter and very in tune with this .... BUT.... Although you may tell this to the Thai restaurant / bar wherever you are, will they really understand what you mean and understand the severity of it ....? And even if they do undersyand will they care enough to do something about it ... ?? I don't think so ...it is not a comon thing here and 90% of Thais would not comprehend the severity of it and just do the normal My Pen Rai and still put the peanuts in or if not leave enouch trace of peanuts that can kill people who have severe allergetic reactions to penuts and shelfish ... I saw my daughter blow up instantly one day in India where I lived before after serving her Fresh water crabs ... she had only eaten 2 very small ones and I was floored by her all of a sudden swollen face and screamed out ... Stop!! Don't touch the crabs any more and immediately gave her a high dose of antihistamines and thank god it passed ...Phew!! However she did end up in the Emergency hospital twice in the following years and not for even having eaten shellfish but because of there being a trace of one in the dish she ordered or just tasting someone elses dish ....I am so lucky that she was around astute people capable of realizing what was happening and urgently getting her to the nearest hospital //// Otherwise I could have been in the same deplorable situation as these parents are right now and OMG how I feel for them ... I can actually sit here and cry right now which is what I am doing ... My anger is also there cause I know what they are going to face and it just enrages me to tears !!! LOS yup!!

Pretty sure that aircon units recirculate the air in the room and not pull air from outside. I could be wrong on that.

All the wall units I have seen in Thailand rooms, yes. The compressor is separated from the fan unit. Mono-bloc, mobile A/C are rare, and all the block is indoors. I have seen in other countries, or industrial installations, small units which pump from outside.

Yeah....got that wrong I think....we dont have aircon here so been awhile associated with it.

I was thinking along the lines of my car though where you have the vent to open or close......not sure now if home aircons have this type of feature.

Nah. only possibly commercial installations.

@ kohphangan

i read about 2 young girls poisoned,300 posts about poison and i'm looking at a pile of dead rat poisoned fish?? Two restaurant's 50mts either way from it

These "300" posts about poisoning does not mean anything. What could they/I/you know anything about what happened? Why not cool down and wait for the autopsy report instead of speculating too much?

And are you suggesting that the restaurants use fish from this "pile of dead rat poisoned fish" ? Yes, I'm saying that you are overreacting.

I am not saying anything about what killed these poor girls,but this topic is now full about poison (rat poison) which i have 20mts away from my bungalow,the one who rents the bungalow next to that picture of a pile of dead fish is sitting on top of open poison. So do you want me just to post next that x amount of people have just died on koh phangan through rat poison.

Still over reacting am i,400 + posts all about poison,and we have rat poison sitting open for everyone... That's we not you sitting where ever you are,i would love it,seriously love it if you wake up in the morning find your animals dead,and poisoned fish on YOUR door step!

Do you only have to eat this stuff served up in your food,or is the odd bit ok??

a severe allergic reaction might lead to death very quickly?...

when the maid eventually had the door opened on friday, then it might have taken a few hours until the doctor, then the police arrived and the bodies were taken away...

were they still in rigor mortis then?

when was the time of death? not before wednesday noon then?

Normally I'd agree with the people who caution against wild guessing and jumping to conclusions, and who would rather wait for the 'official' report. However, I would be amazed if there were to be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this rather gruesome event and that barring some bizarre self poisoning incident, it is most likely to be homicide either deliberate or otherwise, and I think any honestly meant speculation is fair game and I'd go as far as to say mandatory given the circumstances.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but is there anybody out there who feels there will be honestly be a simple, excusable event.

Mel [..........] I'm not arguing. You are. That's the difference. wink.png

-mel.

oOOOps - I posted same time as ADMIN. Apologies.

Wasted words Mel. I believe post # 422 says it all.

Hope he was given 2 days holiday on Phi Phi.

Edited by sportsman69
  • Like 1

but the peanuts in the dishes here are very visible...

they are put into the bowl as they are...

Uh ! Uh!! sorry you are wrong Sir ... they are not always visible at all ... I cannot describe that little mixture of stuff they add to Phad tai and other dishes which is a combination of very thinly sliced peanuts / garlic and some other sweet indregient which I always ask them to NOT PUT IN MY DISH as I don't like the taste of it but they still bloody put it because most of the time it is pre mixed and they can't avoid it ... same with My Pet Naka ... Ok My Pen Rai.... and it is still Pet Mak Mak bacause it is prepared in advance and they can't change it /// Anyway who knows as i am just as everybody else trying to guess and feel so bad about these 2 young girls and their parents ... OMG .... !! How I don't envy their current voyage !! I have a daughter of 20 who lived with me till 2010 here and in India who developped a shellfish allergy ALL OF A SUDDEN and lived through quite a few horrid and scary experiences with that ,,,, that is why I suspect that MAYBE... MAYBE ... a peanut or shellfish allergy .. but then again what do I know

then they must have shared the fish?

two poisonous fish, served to the same table is a bit unlikely?

same with the mushrooms, usually not all are poisonous, but one or a very few?

and this was finally deadly: to share the dish or to order the same meal...

otherwise, one of them could have sought help...

the pilot and the co-pilot in passenger planes never have the same meal. its not permitted (airline rules).

Edited by dingdang

The pilot copilot thing is interesting.

The akimbo observation is interesting. This would seem to suggest some severe gastric issues. Cramping in abdominal region may cause one to assume this position.

the pilot and the co-pilot in passenger planes never have the same meal. its not permitted (airline rules).

What on earth has that got to do with it?

If they have a peanut or shellfish allergy, they do not have to order poisoned food and share it do they? All they do is order food and say, definitely no peanuts/oil or shellfish. The waiter ignores them the food comes. All the food we ever order in Thailand we share at the table. They have the allergy, bingo, anaphylactic shock, incapacitated and dead in a matter of hours.

• Like 1

If they have a peanut or shellfish allergy, they do not have to order poisoned food and share it do they? All they do is order food and say, definitely no peanuts/oil or shellfish. The waiter ignores them the food comes. All the food we ever order in Thailand we share at the table. They have the allergy, bingo, anaphylactic shock, incapacitated and dead in a matter of hours.

Would they even make it away from table before anaphylactic shock?

well Gentlemanjim... some people just can't read English and if they can they cannot understand it!... and or cannot comprehend it ... ! that's life and that is why there are over 440 replies on this post right now ... allof them arguing and insulting each other ... Pfff!! Nobody knows but everybody knows is the motto and it is so pathetic.... because at the end of the day none of us will ever know .... how sad no???

well Gentlemanjim... some people just can't read English and if they can they cannot understand it!... and or cannot comprehend it ... ! that's life and that is why there are over 440 replies on this post right now ... allof them arguing and insulting each other ... Pfff!! Nobody knows but everybody knows is the motto and it is so pathetic.... because at the end of the day none of us will ever know .... how sad no???

Probably correct. I think family showing up and apparently taking control over bodies though may mean they will get answer from a medical stand point. Sadly, Thais have probably already blown the investigation and tainted the evidence so there will never likely be any held accountable if a criminal act including serving blow fish, spiking drinks, providing bad shrooms, or just out right poisoning.

• Like 1

THIS IS THE MOST SICKENING and stupid video news reoort I have seen so far and this from a UK news site at that ...??? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2160922/Audrey-Noemi-Belanger-Did-Canadian-sisters-die-blowfish-poisoning-Phi-Phi-Islands-hotel.html#ixzz1yACAO0Wu

Really ?? It is despicable .. these are times when censorship is needed