I Want To Give Up My Us Citizenship

Choose a nice quiet day,when all the family is gone shopping or otherwise out for the day.

Sit down with Pen and paper,and a nice cold beer. Make out a list of everything you are going to lose by giving up your American Citizenship,and another List of what Thailand will replace your losses and benefits with?

Start the Thai list with the word "Zilch" and see how far the list can be stretched from there.

I suspect you are angry with the USA,for whatever reason,but you will be a lot more angry,when you find the door has slammed shut on you,never to be opened again,and do you really think the US is going to beg you to stay? People are breaking their necks to get into the US,and your Departure,Ingratitude,and Disloyalty will not mean a Toss to them.

And don't expect the Red Carpet Treatment if you should choose Thailand,as your new Country of choice.

Edited by MAJIC

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About seven years ago, many people made the statement that if Bush was re-elected they would renounce their citizenship and leave the country. I am hoping he is one of them and is keeping his promise. It's too bad that the rest of them are still there.

I don't think you've really thought this through, have you?

I don't need a US passport. It's of no value for me except to travel on.

My citizenship status might become a tax liability in the future so I think I should start to cut my ties now.

I'm planning an extended dating trip to Canada and/or Australia with the intent on finding a wife who can sponsor me. If you know any Canadian or Australian ladies(doesn't matter how ugly) looking for an american man let me know. giggle.gif

Personally, I think you are dreaming. You been reading to many of those online dating ads. Thai girls have a hard time finding overseas husbands, and most likely they have more to offer than you will have with no first world citizenship.

Please people, please stop trying to discourage him. I fervently hope this gives pause to other like minded individuals. one if this guy's rights as a US citizen is to make these types of decisions. It's a matter of free will and I'm sure the US can do without a bit of tax money he will be free to spend looking for love. This is unbelievably hilarious!
  • Like 1

Please people, please stop trying to discourage him. I fervently hope this gives pause to other like minded individuals. one if this guy's rights as a US citizen is to make these types of decisions. It's a matter of free will and I'm sure the US can do without a bit of tax money he will be free to spend looking for love. This is unbelievably hilarious!

It seems to me that the most obvious way to approach this if serious is simply get an appointment with the US consulate, walk in this week and ask for the information. They don't arrest you for renouncing your citizenship...YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me that the most obvious way to approach this if serious is simply get an appointment with the US consulate, walk in this week and ask for the information. They don't arrest you for renouncing your citizenship...YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then what? Be stateless?

Then what? Be stateless?

Well, by actually asking people who should know these things, he'd be one step closer to knowing exactly what he needs to do to accomplish his goal. That'd be a start. I mean, I understand that TV is the place to go for authoritative information on how to renounce your citizenship but it doesn't hurt to talk to the people that handle these things.

Renouncing one's citizenship is easy.

The hard part is getting a new one.

For you it was because you went for Thai citizenship. Congrats. Some countries are quite a bit easier. Such as Ecuador.

With all due respect, what good is an Ecuadorean passport when you want to live in Thailand? And even then -- it is not as easy as you make out to get one. No passport worth having is.

i think OP should go ahead then we could all learn from his experience of renouncing citezenship from USA. Not a chance of Thai Passport, so will be interesting to follow.

Sure there is a chance for Thai passport (I have one). Count on a 13 to 15 year process starting from scratch, though (perhaps half that if married to a Thai, which I am not).

Renouncing one's citizenship is easy.

The hard part is getting a new one.

For you it was because you went for Thai citizenship. Congrats. Some countries are quite a bit easier. Such as Ecuador.

With all due respect, what good is an Ecuadorean passport when you want to live in Thailand? And even then -- it is not as easy as you make out to get one. No passport worth having is.

Because this thread is CLEARLY not only about living in Thailand. It's about giving up American citizenship more generally. So what good is a Thai passport in Ecuador? I think for international value, a Thai and Ecuadorian passport would both be restrictive as far as visas for travel, etc. Edited by Jingthing

Exactly.

It only makes sense to give up a first world passport for a third world one if you plan to live in the country where you are a new citizen.

To try to live in Thailand on an Ecuadorean passport would be insanity. You couldn't even apply for visas at EU, US, etc. embassies if you wanted to travel there -- you'd have to go back to Quito to do that. Makes absolutely zero sense to have an Ecuadorean passport unless you plan to live in Ecuador.