I Want To Give Up My Us Citizenship

Is there a reasonably cost effective and easy way of doing this? I'm very serious about it.

Obviously I will need a passport or something that will allow me to travel to Thailand or Cambodia at the very least.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be interested to see the replies on this one Chops. Is it for tax reasons?

Do you have Thai citizenship? If not, who would you be a citizen of then?

I think you are very brave, personally I couldnt give up my citizenship for anyone but then I dont have to lodge tax returns to a country that I dont frequent!

I will be interested to see the replies on this one Chops. Is it for tax reasons?

I think you are very brave, personally I couldnt give up my citizenship for anyone but then I dont have to lodge tax returns to a country that I dont frequent!

No. I just don't want to be a US citizen any longer.

I only wish to have one item: a passport that I can use to travel most of the globe without much hassle.

No. I just don't want to be a US citizen any longer.

I only wish to have one item: a passport that I can use to travel most of the globe without much hassle.

Chops, you are in Thailand on your US passport with an attributable visa. Unless you have Thai citizenship I cannot for the life of me see you being able to give up your citizenship unless you became a citizen of another country through marriage, residency,heriditary etc.

Edited by edwinclapham

I think you are asking two separate and distinct questions:

1.) How do I renounce my U.S. citizenship?

2.) What citizenship should I attempt to gain?

I think there is a process for renouncing your U.S citizenship; it used to be free but now you have to pay a fee. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renunciation_of_citizenship

United States

Overview

The United States requires that an individual go in person to a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the U.S. and sign before a consular officer an oath or affirmation that he intends to renounce his citizenship, although exceptions are legally permitted in times of war and under special circumstances.[17][18] During the expatriation procedure, the individual must complete several documents and demonstrate in an interview with a consular officer that the renunciation is voluntary and intentional. Depending on the embassy or consulate, the individual is often required to appear in person two times and conduct two separate interviews with consular officers over the course of several months.[19]

There were between 222-235 renunciants in 2008, between 731-743 in 2009, and about 1485 in 2010;[20][21] In 2011, there were 1781 renunciants.[22]

Formal confirmation of the loss of U.S. citizenship is provided by the Certificate of Loss of Nationality and is received by the renunciant a number of months later. Renunciation of U.S. citizenship was free until July, 2010, at which time a fee of $450 was established. Although many countries require citizenship of another nation before allowing renunciation, the United States does not and an individual may legally renounce U.S. citizenship and become stateless. Nonetheless, the United States Department of State warns renunciants that, unless they already possess a foreign nationality or are assured of acquiring another nationality shortly after completing their renunciation, they would become stateless and without the protection of any government.[23]

In one case, Vincent Cate, an encryption expert living in Anguilla, chose to renounce his US citizenship to avoid the possibility of violating US laws that may prohibit US citizens from "exporting" encryption software.[24]

[edit]Taxation

The United States is the only major country which taxes based on citizenship rather than residency. A 1995 study by the U.S. Congress found that at the time only the U.S., the Philippines, and Eritrea tax based on citizenship rather than residency. The Philippines switched to a residency-based system in 1997, thereby not taxing its citizens on worldwide income.[25]

In 1996, the U.S. changed its immigration law to include a provision to "name and shame" renunciants.[26] The Department of the Treasury became obligated to publish quarterly in the Federal Register the names of those citizens who renounce their citizenship. Only the names are published, but by counting the number of names in each list, media organizations are able to infer the number of renunciants each quarter. The 1996 law included a provision to bar entry to any individual "who officially renounces United States citizenship and who is determined by the Attorney General to have renounced United States citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation by the United States."[26] There is no known case of this provision, known as the Reed Amendment, having ever been enforced.

In 2008, Congress enacted the Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Act that imposes a penalty—an "exit tax" or expatriation tax—on certain people who give up their U.S. citizenship or long-term permanent residence.[27] Effective June 2008, U.S. citizens who renounce their citizenship are subject under certain circumstances to an expatriation tax, which is meant to extract from the expatriate taxes that would have been paid had he remained a citizen: all property of a covered expatriate is deemed sold for its fair market value on the day before the expatriation date, which usually results in a capital gain, which is taxable income.[28] Eduardo Saverin, a Brazilian-born co-founder of Facebook, renounced his U.S. citizenship just before the company's expected initial public offering; the timing prompted media speculation that the act was motivated by potential U.S. tax obligations.[22]

Not sure about which citizenship to gain? I guess you could marry someone from a country that grants citizenship to spouses?

I pretty much know how to do the renunciation thing. What I am really looking for is a country I can apply for 2nd citizenship before I do it.

Is it easy to become a Thai citizen? I have a Thai wife and son and I speak a Thai a little bit.

But I'm open to other options.

I pretty much know how to do the renunciation thing. What I am really looking for is a country I can apply for 2nd citizenship before I do it.

Is it easy to become a Thai citizen? I have a Thai wife and son and I speak a Thai a little bit.

I do not believe that you can obtain Thai citizenship, barring perhaps a Royal decree?

Permanent Resident status does not get you a Thai passport.

http://www.thaiskale.com/journal/thai-american-thai-american-dual-nationality-received-thai-passport-in-mail/

http://international...s-in-the-world/

Edited by lomatopo

if u are jewish u have the right to return and become a citizen of israel; but frankly, (depending on how old u are) its a tough place to live: we have inflation, our neighbhors hate us, our passports are problematic (an arabic girlfriend from a village here went to american college in egypt as an honours scholorship student, she almost couldnt come back to visit her mom, the egyptians thought she was spy, sinc eshe spoke english, arabic and hebrew, and held an israeli passport. other arab friends have had similar problems when go to vacations , due to having an israeli passport). , acording to psychologists, we are always in a constant state of stress which is bad for health, we are the worst qualities of middle east and western societies... if u are not jewish, its along hard haul, a (and a snip possibly depending onhow u are doing the citizenship route)// i have dual, and made sure my kids have their dual us passports, apart form european ty pe things, cant see why someoen would change to an other coutnry's citizenshp.

as for thailand........5555555555555 dream on.... speak thai a little bit, are married... so are 99% of the people on the board, including some that are half thai, and they' re waiting years and years just for a permanent residancy card..good luck

bina

israel

• Like 2

I think there is a process for renouncing your U.S citizenship; it used to be free but now you have to pay a fee. wink.png

http://en.wikipedia...._of_citizenship

United States

Overview

The United States requires that an individual go in person to a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the U.S. and sign before a consular officer an oath or affirmation that he intends to renounce his citizenship, although exceptions are legally permitted in times of war and under special circumstances.[17][18] During the expatriation procedure, the individual must complete several documents and demonstrate in an interview with a consular officer that the renunciation is voluntary and intentional. Depending on the embassy or consulate, the individual is often required to appear in person two times and conduct two separate interviews with consular officers over the course of several months.[19]

There were between 222-235 renunciants in 2008, between 731-743 in 2009, and about 1485 in 2010;[20][21] In 2011, there were 1781 renunciants.[22]

Formal confirmation of the loss of U.S. citizenship is provided by the Certificate of Loss of Nationality and is received by the renunciant a number of months later. Renunciation of U.S. citizenship was free until July, 2010, at which time a fee of $450 was established. Although many countries require citizenship of another nation before allowing renunciation, the United States does not and an individual may legally renounce U.S. citizenship and become stateless. Nonetheless, the United States Department of State warns renunciants that, unless they already possess a foreign nationality or are assured of acquiring another nationality shortly after completing their renunciation, they would become stateless and without the protection of any government.[23]

In one case, Vincent Cate, an encryption expert living in Anguilla, chose to renounce his US citizenship to avoid the possibility of violating US laws that may prohibit US citizens from "exporting" encryption software.[24]

[edit]Taxation

The United States is the only major country which taxes based on citizenship rather than residency. A 1995 study by the U.S. Congress found that at the time only the U.S., the Philippines, and Eritrea tax based on citizenship rather than residency. The Philippines switched to a residency-based system in 1997, thereby not taxing its citizens on worldwide income.[25]

In 1996, the U.S. changed its immigration law to include a provision to "name and shame" renunciants.[26] The Department of the Treasury became obligated to publish quarterly in the Federal Register the names of those citizens who renounce their citizenship. Only the names are published, but by counting the number of names in each list, media organizations are able to infer the number of renunciants each quarter. The 1996 law included a provision to bar entry to any individual "who officially renounces United States citizenship and who is determined by the Attorney General to have renounced United States citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation by the United States."[26] There is no known case of this provision, known as the Reed Amendment, having ever been enforced.

In 2008, Congress enacted the Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Act that imposes a penalty—an "exit tax" or expatriation tax—on certain people who give up their U.S. citizenship or long-term permanent residence.[27] Effective June 2008, U.S. citizens who renounce their citizenship are subject under certain circumstances to an expatriation tax, which is meant to extract from the expatriate taxes that would have been paid had he remained a citizen: all property of a covered expatriate is deemed sold for its fair market value on the day before the expatriation date, which usually results in a capital gain, which is taxable income.[28] Eduardo Saverin, a Brazilian-born co-founder of Facebook, renounced his U.S. citizenship just before the company's expected initial public offering; the timing prompted media speculation that the act was motivated by potential U.S. tax obligations.[22]

Not sure about which citizenship to gain? I guess you could marry someone from a country that grants citizenship to spouses?

You are wrong to assert that the USA is the only major country to tax (individuals) on citizenship rather than residency. Any UK derived income is UK taxable regardless of residency. Ask any UK 'non resident for tax purposes' about this.

I think there is a process for renouncing your U.S citizenship; it used to be free but now you have to pay a fee. wink.png

United States

Overview

[edit]Taxation

You are wrong to assert that the USA is the only major country to tax (individuals) on citizenship rather than residency. Any UK derived income is UK taxable regardless of residency. Ask any UK 'non resident for tax purposes' about this.

Yes, but as a British citizen working abroad I'm not liable for any UK taxes, as I would be if I was a US citizen.

None of my business, and not trying to talk you out of it, but care to share why you want to do this?

United States

Overview

[edit]Taxation

Correct, I am an Australian citizen with some assets in the Uk and therefore I must pay tax on them.

you have plenty of money ? then quiet a few countries where you can get a PP pretty quickly....if not, not so easy....do you have any direct Irish relatives for example ?

you have plenty of money ? then quiet a few countries where you can get a PP pretty quickly....if not, not so easy....do you have any direct Irish relatives for example ?

I have a friend that traded in his US citizenship for an Irish PP. Not sure the procedure or requirements though.

I quoted an article from Wikipedia, as should have been obvious?

I have a friend that traded in his US citizenship for an Irish PP. Not sure the procedure or requirements though.

Perhaps no need to trade?

Quote: Ireland: One the best of these ancestral programs is offered by the Republic of Ireland. Persons with one parent or grandparent born in Ireland are eligible for Irish nationality, with a passport valid for 10 years and renewable. As a result, with a population of only 4.1 million, Ireland has over 14 million current official passports in circulation.

I have another friend who became a Norwegian citizen and then considered renouncing US citizenship as a protest to US policies. He decided not to when he found out how virulent the US response is. You do that, you'll almost certainly never be able to get into the States again. They take it very personally.

I don't really see what the point of doing something like that is, anyway. These are formalities, and US citizenship provides some very convenient conveniences. You're not really making a statement here, at least not one that anyone is going to notice except you . . . and the US government, which will try to make your life miserable from then on out. Bad idea. I strongly suggest you forget it.

• Like 2

Citizenship for men married to Thai's has become easier in the last couple of years, and does not now require you become a permanent resident first.

I have heard from a friend that Uganda is an easy country to get citizenship in. Don't think it would fit the requirement of "... I can use to travel most of the globe without much hassle.", though.

I don't think you've really thought this through, have you?

I don't need a US passport. It's of no value for me except to travel on.

My citizenship status might become a tax liability in the future so I think I should start to cut my ties now.

I'm planning an extended dating trip to Canada and/or Australia with the intent on finding a wife who can sponsor me. If you know any Canadian or Australian ladies(doesn't matter how ugly) looking for an american man let me know. giggle.gif

I don't think you've really thought this through, have you?

I don't need a US passport. It's of no value for me except to travel on.

My citizenship status might become a tax liability in the future so I think I should start to cut my ties now.

I'm planning an extended dating trip to Canada and/or Australia with the intent on finding a wife who can sponsor me. If you know any Canadian or Australian ladies(doesn't matter how ugly) looking for an american man let me know. giggle.gif

And you dont think you will incur tax liabilities in or out of Australian then?rolleyes.gif

if u are jewish u have the right to return and become a citizen of israel; but frankly, (depending on how old u are) its a tough place to live: we have inflation, our neighbhors hate us, our passports are problematic (an arabic girlfriend from a village here went to american college in egypt as an honours scholorship student, she almost couldnt come back to visit her mom, the egyptians thought she was spy, sinc eshe spoke english, arabic and hebrew, and held an israeli passport. other arab friends have had similar problems when go to vacations , due to having an israeli passport). , acording to psychologists, we are always in a constant state of stress which is bad for health, we are the worst qualities of middle east and western societies... if u are not jewish, its along hard haul, a (and a snip possibly depending onhow u are doing the citizenship route)// i have dual, and made sure my kids have their dual us passports, apart form european ty pe things, cant see why someoen would change to an other coutnry's citizenshp.

as for thailand........5555555555555 dream on.... speak thai a little bit, are married... so are 99% of the people on the board, including some that are half thai, and they' re waiting years and years just for a permanent residancy card..good luck

bina

israel

There you go mate convert to judaism, get the snip and become and israeli problem solved

otherwise you could become a resident of another western country, usually for 4 years you can then apply for citizenship.

Edited by BuffaloRescue