Registering The Marriage

Hi

So I understand that in Thailand, the wedding ceremony and the legal registration of the marriage are usually separate. And that the registration is usually done after the ceremony.

Is this your understanding too? What was your experience? How long was it until you went to the amphoe office?

Also, excuse my naivety here, but is there any advantage in registering the marriage back home (the UK, in my case) instead of, or in addition to, in Thailand? (Advantage in terms of greater freedom of movement for my spouse and any children we may produce, for example?)

Any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

So I understand that in Thailand, the wedding ceremony and the legal registration of the marriage are usually separate. And that the registration is usually done after the ceremony.

Is this your understanding too? What was your experience? How long was it until you went to the amphoe office?

Also, excuse my naivety here, but is there any advantage in registering the marriage back home (the UK, in my case) instead of, or in addition to, in Thailand? (Advantage in terms of greater freedom of movement for my spouse and any children we may produce, for example?)

Thanks

You can do them any way you wish. I did the legal registration first and 2 days later the ceremony.

No real advantage registering in UK. The official translation of the marriage certificate, which you need to get, is accepted by all organisations I came across in UK.

Good Luck :o

Hi

Thanks

The two are unrelated. The ceremony is a private matter. My wife and I were married officially a good twelve months before we got round to going to her home for the ceremony.

I am not sure how you would go about registering your marriage back in the UK except by getting married again and I do not think that holds any sway with the Embassy re issuing a visa.

Hi

Thanks

The two are unrelated. The ceremony is a private matter. My wife and I were married officially a good twelve months before we got round to going to her home for the ceremony.

I am not sure how you would go about registering your marriage back in the UK except by getting married again and I do not think that holds any sway with the Embassy re issuing a visa.

Yes, you can get the marriage recorded at the British Embassy or when back in UK, but as I said I feel it's a waste of time. My opinion is that the fewer computer record systems you are on the better. :o

We have been married for 5 years and still have not done the ceremony. Mainly driven by us living overseas for most of it and the fact my wife really doesn't want to address the sin sot issue with her mother....

Also could be she realizes it will be a huge party and me and her brother will just use it to get really drunk.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's not worth getting married again in the UK.

Does anyone have any feel for what is typical in Thailand - whether couples normally register before, later, or not at all?

You can't get married again, but you can have a blessing.

we registered before, that way you can get the paper required for a spouse visa.
We registered first as Broncon says to help with visa paperwork :o

Does this really make much difference? If i registered my marriage at the UK Embassy but i want a visa for Oz. Surely it makes no difference as we are legally anyway. I asked this question a while back and was told there is not much point and also it costs money. I was gonna do it but was told i was just wasting my money.

we registered before, that way you can get the paper required for a spouse visa.

We registered first as Broncon says to help with visa paperwork :o

Does this really make much difference? If i registered my marriage at the UK Embassy but i want a visa for Oz. Surely it makes no difference as we are legally anyway. I asked this question a while back and was told there is not much point and also it costs money. I was gonna do it but was told i was just wasting my money.

They will only ask for your original marriage certificate and the official translation. They won't check if you are registered in your own country as most countries throughout the world have reciprocal agreements regarding legal marriages.