School Books...

The books provided me for teaching English, grades 1 through 6, are pathetic. They go from something simple to quite complex in just a few pages, then back to simple, cycling up and down. (The second grade book tells how to email your friends and invite them to a party, with such words as: designing, decorating and preparing) I have no idea what "educators" are thinking when they write such useless crap for kids who can't even tell brown from blue.

I recently read where the books I and my classmates used back in the sixties are criticized as being ineefective. Huh? (I then wonder how I became a published author of many articles. Hmmm.)

Dick and Jane taught me how to read. The text books were clear and consistent and they worked well. Sixth graders here, who have had five years of English prior to my arrival, do not understand simple questions: where do you live?; what is your father's name?; how old are you? For crying out loud, five years and you can't tell me your age?

I tossed the books and have started all grades, more or less, from scratch, using printouts from the internet, with Curious George and Babar the elephant. Progress is being made, but making your own textbooks is tedious.

Anyone direct me to where I can go to look at and purchase decent BEGINNING student textbooks? Bangkok?

Texts with distinct question and answer format would be a Godsend.

You could take a look at "Say Hello."

At least, the English is correct and it makes sense to use them .

You can find them at most book stores. I looked around before this year started, thought all levels would use them but now it's all a mess.

Some are using "Express". Finest wrong English. Others use "Gogo loves Tinglish", also BS etc.

An example of express grade five: When you go under the sun, what will happen? The answer there's : you'll get a fever. But the explanation is in Thai, makes it easy for my colleagues from LOS..

But I'm wondering if they believe the fever statement. Well, could be.

Using the right books can take some time to see good results, but would the Superiors get this?

I usually look for the right topics and make my own worksheets, as only one set of "Say Hello" is available.

You'll have to find your own way, sometimes books for a lower level would fit. Should be up to you, but it isn't. Good luck!

Edited by sirchai

The most popular ESOL course is 'Get Set - Go!' - even Thai bookshops like SE-ED sell all levels of this book, published by Oxford University Press. Each level (1-6) consists of a pupil book, workbook, teachers's book and cassette (yes it's dated but I agree with the OP about age being no indication of effectiveness). It's a really well structured syllabus with age-appropriate activities and suggestions.

An alternative six-level course for young learners is 'Young Learner Go!' published by Marshall Cavendish Education. The three main levels correlate with the Cambridge young learners English tests. I think the course overall isn't as well structured or balanced as Get set go, with random repetition of some areas and not others.

• Like 1

There are many books on the market in LOS for primary second language learners. My son is in an English Program and uses Megaflash and Jump Aboard. They might be at a too high level for government school children though, but there are plenty of lower level books. The have accompanying workbooks. There are around 200 baht each or son. Not expensive. You could copy various chapters and give to the students, as some schools worry about copying whole books.

e.g. http://www.macmillanenglish.com/Course.aspx?id=28330

Don't get them from overseas though - they seem to cost more!