Renew Astro Card In Malaysia?

samuijimmy

I've been using Astro for a couple of years now, and very happy with it... and all it's HD channels that do not require cable, as is the case with True. (I use a 90 cm dish, no option of cable in my area....anyway! )

However I am paying a "premium price" from local company....actually not that bad.... compared to what I would pay in the "West".... (I will say too, the local company, has been good on service a few times I have needed it.... )

My subscription comes up soon, and I have to head to Malaysia ....

Question 1 .... Has any one manage to purchase or renew their subscription directly in Malaysia? Reading their website one requires Malaysia ID. Stumbling block, I guess unless one has a friend in Malaysia to help? Has anyone managed to get around this?

I will take the card down when I go.

Question 2 .... When power cuts even for a second or two the box turns off... One has to unplug the box for about 10 minutes for it to reboot... I find that strange.... is it just my box?

Question 3 .... anyone using the PVR feature in Thailand... ?

Help appreciated!! smile.pngI hope the first question is not illegal!

Now my knowledge is about 5 years old, but I had an Astro sub when I was in Penang.

My passport number sufficed as a foreigner.

Pop into their office with the card, you may need the box number, so have it to hand,

and ask them how to renew. You might be able to use a credit card and arrange

for automatic renewal later.

Good luck

Now my knowledge is about 5 years old, but I had an Astro sub when I was in Penang.

My passport number sufficed as a foreigner.

Pop into their office with the card, you may need the box number, so have it to hand,

and ask them how to renew. You might be able to use a credit card and arrange

for automatic renewal later.

Good luck

Thanks Astral !..... very helpful, !!!

I might even take the box down with me too and see if they can fix the cutting out problem!

I was thinking about getting Astro so I asked around and I was told there's a place in Hat Yai that can sort you out. I know The Swan bar has Astro and True. A lot of Malays in Hat Yai also have Astro instead of True.

Not sure where the supplier is but someone in Hat Yai (who posts on TV) could probably help you out.

Samui jimmy

Interested to know why u use Astro and what benefits it gives u?

I am pretty fed up with True and would be very willing to change to a provider which gives good programming and is not extortionately expensive

Any set up issues with Astro in Thailand?

Apparently if you live south of Bangkok you should be able to recieve the signal but North of Bangkok maybe, maybe not.

Looking at their prices and offerings it doesn't seem worth changing from True to me.

The issue if you take the card to an Astro shop in Malaysia they will tell you it will not be registered to you - and it will show you stole the card as the local Thai provider (not us at jsat.tv) registers all the Astro services in their Malay name and address. Food for thought.

Edited by jsat

OK here's the scope.

I dropped by the Astro Office in Penang yesterday.... "My card" is registered under the name of Mr Lam, or something like that.... that could be my local installer on Samui, I am really not sure.... So long as it works (which is does) I really don't care....wink.png

To change to getting set up in a different name (has to have Malaysia address & takes two weeks... and needs a local to help with Malaysian ID. That surprised me... that it would take so long, ..... anyway long story short, I don't care to stay here two week! smile.png

As for why, i choose Astro,..... better quality sound and HD channels, do not need to go via cable as with True for HD channels.. Where I live there is no True Cable anyway .... the HD comes directly through the dish and receiver. 19 HD channels avaialble if you choose to subscribe to them all )

Yes initial set up a bit more expensive but like any thing else you get what you pay for... better quality... in this case. I'd rather pay a little more... and not have to listen to Thai commercials wink.png

I use a 90 cm dish, which only fades out with the heaviest of rains, so no problem there... some areas might be better using a 120 dish (north ... how far I am not sure. )

The local company is PSI which I believe is a National Thai company.... always good service and come quickly when needed (not often) .....

Had I had the sports package I could have watch all the Euro 12 matches, but I am not a sports fan! tongue.pngcoffee1.gifbiggrin.png

Hope that covers everyone's questions....

Apparently if you live south of Bangkok you should be able to recieve the signal but North of Bangkok maybe, maybe not.

Looking at their prices and offerings it doesn't seem worth changing from True to me.

We are in BKK and have Astro but you cant get the HD channels here. Costs 3000b a year through a local cable TV company easily searchable on google.......

We are in BKK and have Astro but you cant get the HD channels here. Costs 3000b a year through a local cable TV company easily searchable on google.......

That surprises me that you cannot pickup the HD channels in BKK, if you are getting a signal.... have you asked about the different sized dishes?

I think probably 120 cm dish in BKK.... ??? If that does not work, it's probably not worth switching.... from True at least.

Samui jimmy

I am pretty fed up with True and would be very willing to change to a provider which gives good programming and is not extortionately expensive.

Hi bkkbarnstormer,

Just to answer your question more directly..... if you find a shop who can do then it does not seem to be a problem.... PSI as I mentioned before seems to be a reputable company.... they were fast to set up and efficient.... same day if I remember from ordering.... There was another shop who could do but wanted more money.... so try to shop around with Satellite providers.....

JSAT one of the sponsors here, may be able to help if you are located in their service area?

I know several people on Samui here that use and prefer Astro, but it is not cheap when you compare to True to set up....

JSAT's post, is correct about the "middle man" registration, here... that is hard to change as I found out..... But as anywhere sometimes if you want better quality, you have to pay for it.... (it seems HD not available in BKK as per other post...by gkinbkk . )

Perhaps the biggest blight is that have to work on the one hour time difference between Thailand and Malaysia!

That IS a good price compared to the satellite setup.

Edit: Google only throws up a lot of Thai Visa topics on Astro though.

Edited by PattayaParent

OK here's the scope.

I dropped by the Astro Office in Penang yesterday.... "My card" is registered under the name of Mr Lam, or something like that.... that could be my local installer on Samui, I am really not sure.... So long as it works (which is does) I really don't care....wink.png

Did they let you pay for another year, as you were there in the office?

OK here's the scope.

Did they let you pay for another year, as you were there in the office?

In short NO!!!

I tried a longer answer twice now, and keep loosing the reply.... not sure if my Mac or TV!rolleyes.gif

I'll try this again!

As said they would need two weeks to set up, but reading between the lines, I would need a Malaysian to provide an ID card number...

Perhaps different for a "farang" living in Malaysia (which I assume you were,when you used your passport, Astral?) ...

I think what it comes down too, is the local PSI shop here, would continue to provide service when needed, not that that is often, but easier than running to Malaysia to get something sorted...wink.png

Part of the price we have to pay I guess.....

I still don't understand how it is that Astro can provide an HD signals and with True, you need cable blink.png I do not have cable in my area!! I like the HD channels! thumbsup.gif

I still don't understand how it is that Astro can provide an HD signals and with True, you need cable blink.png I do not have cable in my area!! I like the HD channels! thumbsup.gif

purely down to marketing, nothing technically stopping them (truevisions) at all from putting more HD channels on satellite.

Samui jimmy

I am pretty fed up with True and would be very willing to change to a provider which gives good programming and is not extortionately expensive

A friend of mine used to receive astro in Buriram. Bloody big solid dish though!

I live just north of Kanchanaburi and get a really strong signal, fades only in very heavy rain, through a 120 cm solid dish.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by apetley

purely down to marketing, nothing technically stopping them (truevisions) at all from putting more HD channels on satellite.

Pretty bad for those who do not live in urban areas served by cable, then ! sad.png ...... Not to mention more "wiring pollution"........blink.png

The reason true has limited hd channels is very simple- they only have one satellite (and its past its life cycle). Most sats only have 24 transponders to transmit data 12 vertical and 12 horizontal which means the availible bandwidth to transmit data is limited. sd channels dont use much while true hd signals use a lot more. All those useless channels they are required to transmit with their gov monopoly agreement eat up alot of this bandwidth not leaving any excess. They could go to an hd light signal to save more bandwidth and provide more channels in hd but not sure they could even do that with their antiquated sat in use. True hd can use a single transponder per channel whereas with hd light (lower resolution) you can squeeze maybe 3 on it. As always with thai companies no investment in infrastructure and waiting until its too late to do anything is what you have here with the limited hd channels availible.

The reason true has limited hd channels is very simple- they only have one satellite (and its past its life cycle).

Not wishing to defend truvisions here but rather get a few facts right and sort out this continued dis-information. True lease transponders/satellite time from Thaicom PLC and True like many other Thai satellite TV providers use Thaicoms newest satellite Thaicom 5 on the C (low band) and Ku (high band) bands which has a 15year life and no where near it end of life. Thaicom 6 will be launched next year.

Most sats only have 24 transponders to transmit data 12 vertical and 12 horizontal which means the availible bandwidth to transmit data is limited. sd channels dont use much while true hd signals use a lot more.

Not correct sorry as Thaicom 5 which true lease transponer time on, has C-Band: 25 transponders (all with 36 MHz) Ku-Band: 14 transponders (two with 54 MHz and 12 with 36 MHz source http://www.thaicom.net/sattel_thaicom5_en.asp In fact SD or DVB-s uses more bandwidth than DVB-S2 or HD.

All those useless channels they are required to transmit with their gov monopoly agreement eat up alot of this bandwidth not leaving any excess.

True are only one of many Thai satellite TV providers with a concession not a monopoly - see http://www.lyngsat-address.com/tv/Thailand.html for a list of the current Thai satellite Tv providers over us in our Thai skies

They could go to an hd light signal to save more bandwidth and provide more channels in hd but not sure they could even do that with their antiquated sat in use. True hd can use a single transponder per channel whereas with hd light (lower resolution) you can squeeze maybe 3 on it. As always with thai companies no investment in infrastructure and waiting until its too late to do anything is what you have here with the limited hd channels availible.

In short not correct, they could have done full HD DVB-S2 when Thaicom brought their DVB-S2 platform live over 18 months ago, in fact they were the 1st company to test 1920x1080i - a search of the forums here will show screen shots that. As most people know they are changing their encryption, I think you will find it is all related this new encryption release and the marketing of it along with the piracy of their old system.

Sorry to the OP I did not mean to hijack the thread, but this sort of dis-information needs to stop.

How many of those transponders are used for dtv ? If not a monopoly how come it is illegal to recieve astro in thailand ( anyone else providing hbo ???)? Why is thaicom entering into an agreement wih hk for leasing sat time if t6 is coming online ? Not changing iredeto 2 encryption but changing boxes with married cards to prevent card sharing yes, oh wait a minute all those boxes are held up in customs due to new ntbc rules concerning them (not truevisions boxes though). If they have so much bandwidth as you claim where are the hd channels ??? True Corp has a MONOPOLY on pay sat services no matter what you claim.

How many of those transponders are used for dtv ?

By whom? DTV is a Cambodian network on Thaicom 5 Ku band like True. There are 5 networks on the Ku band and True is just one of them. If you really want to get this information see the transponder list on http://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5.html or email Thaicom PLC and ask them direct.

If not a monopoly how come it is illegal to recieve astro in thailand ( anyone else providing hbo ???)?

Again you need to ask say HBO about their commercial arrangements and carriers details, nothing to do with any true or government based monopoly. It is not not illegal to receive / TVRO any satellite TV or Radio in Thailand.

Why is thaicom entering into an agreement wih hk for leasing sat time if t6 is coming online ?

You are talking about Asiasat and Thaicom PLC (not True) temp lease of the old AS2/ Thaicom 7 at 120 degrees. Nothing to do with anything at all other than Thailand needed to secure its geostationary park at 120e position. You can read more about on our forum on http://thaisatellite.tv/forum/thaicom-7.html But as you will know this satellite is no longer there as the park was secured.

Not changing iredeto 2 encryption but changing boxes with married cards to prevent card sharing yes, oh wait a minute all those boxes are held up in customs due to new ntbc rules concerning them (not truevisions boxes though). If they have so much bandwidth as you claim where are the hd [channels ???

Where do you get your dis-information from. Since august last year True have been simicrypting in both Irdeto and NDS. All the new boxes that have HD included are for the new NDS service, and all the old irdeto boxes will be turned off shortly. Simple, just wait and see who is right.

Where are the HD channels? Read what I wrote above, they will be here in a few weeks time as part of their new marketing campaign which also involves an encryption change, set top box change, HD release on satellite. When the irdeto encryption is turned off only paying customers will be left watching True and the pirates will have black screens.

^ Why do you only sell astro boxes without the card or sucscription if it is not illegal here hmmm ?

Very simple, and the same consistent policy over the the last eight years. We do not sell subscription cards period, for any network, as we do not want to be called at 2am with silly comments relating to subscription cards.

All we do is put everyone in direct contact with the local Thai provider or act as their middleman if they do not speak Thai.

Not sure though, what this has to do with your dis-imformation?

Its disiNformation by the way, cant be bothered with servicing your customers after charging them exorbitant rates compared to other providers eh ? True has the sole gov approved sat monopoly for pay service in thailand is why you dont sell them. Would'nt want a middleman making money providing a service now would we ?

cant be bothered with servicing your customers after charging them exorbitant rates compared to other providers eh ?

The complete opposite is true, why put an extra layer on already exorbitant rates that the local providers (not JSAT - as we simply sell the dish) - albeit I am sure you think we do already.

I see this thread has turned from your dis-information issue to an attack on me now - to be expected.

True has the sole gov approved sat monopoly for pay service in thailand

Sorry there are many such registered companies like this in Thailand = google is your friend, but the Thai Cable Association might be a good place to start, as if you have read the links given in this thread you would have seen many already for instance CTH, GMM, RS, IPM, NEXT, TrueVisions to name but a few. Now how can that be, if what you say is true?

MCOT is who TrueVisions have their concession from and all filed at the Thai Stock exchange, so all public information if you bothered to check your facts,

So I will now leave it to the users on here to decide for themselves and see who is still watching TV in the coming months. I am just trying to stop this needless dis-information, but you can only say and do so much.