Hello

alanbanphe

Hi , this is my first post, just go the laptop renovated. I have been living in Thailand for the last 6 years. I live in Ban Phe, but work in Rayong teaching. I cant say that I am a practicing Buddhist but try to live my life as closely as I can to that of a practicing buddhist.

Regards,

Alan

Welcome.

Whether you consider yourself a Buddhist or are 'just looking...' Buddhism is all about practice.

Many around the world just study and don't do the practice. Some follow the outward forms such as going to the temple on Buddha days and joining in with the chanting, but still do not do the real practice.

Making merit in various ways is good, such as giving food to the monks on alms-round, but still not the real practice.

Buddha wanted us to follow the dhamma he taught and reach the goal of Nibbana, not simply be good and go to heaven or get a better rebirth.... but to avoid all future rebirth.

The only way to do that is by understanding the Four Noble Truths and follow the Eightfold Path.

In practical terms this simply means to...... keep the five (or higher) precepts....and do Vipassana meditation (which is training ourselves in moment-by-moment mindfulness.)

The Buddha said that all we need to reach Nibanna is within this fathom long body....no need for monks, temples or anything else (once we understand how to practice.)

Edited by fabianfred

The Buddha said that all we need to reach Nibanna is within this fathom long body....no need for monks, temples or anything else (once we understand how to practice.)

A good insight Fred.

Forest environment can sometimes provide the solitude for undisturbed concentration.

The Monastic setting can sometimes provide the guides/teachers.

Apart from that you already possess the attributes needed to travel the path.

Edited by rockyysdt

Para, where do you go?

I'm in Rayong too, I go to Wat Map Jahn.

Graham

Graham I am ordained my temple is near Ban Khai.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat off line.

Para

Om mani padme hum -

even if you did not take the time or effort to reply to me

May Lord Buddha watch over you

Peace

Have you considered he may not be in a position to reply yet?

Do you have any idea how many PM's I get where I am asked questions which I answer to the best of my ability and never hear from the person again?

Regardless of the reason for not receiving a reply Gladiator take solace in the fact you extended a helping hand......