Restaurant In Ubon/Si Saket

Krupnik

Hiya!

My brother and his wife are moving to their new location in Si Saket. I'm going there for the first time this weekend and expect to be doing the journey over from Chiang Mai a few times per year. I believe their house is in equal distance from either the city of Si Saket or Ubon Ratchatani and from my Internet research it seems that Ubon is the more happening place to go.

Can anyone recommend a decent restaurant for an evening meal that is also maybe a nice spot to have a drink? We are fine with just Thai food, but some vegetarian options is necessary (we both are vege - sister in law isn't) or at least the without meat option!

Same criteria goes for a place in Si Saket city, I have seen the thread about The Cuckoo's Nest, sounds good but closes a bit early at 10.00PM! Bit of a shock coming from Chiang Mai.

So - Thai food with vege options - nice for a drink - open a little bit late - any recommendations?

And what special things should I see or do?

Cheers!

I would recommend Smile rest. in Srinarong rd in Ubon. Good food, red wine, Live band which plays mostly "farang" music. Location : a couple of hundred meters in after turning west at the south west corner of the city park.

Jum Pa Hom in Pitchitrangsan rd is another on in Ubon. Location: 100 meters east of the Laithong hotel.

Both places opens around 17.00.

Plenty more options in Ubon, and I'm sure others will come up with their favourites! biggrin.png

Edited by bergen

There's a nice Thai restaurant with very delicious food.

When you're driving out of Sisaket ( coming from the hospital, heading on the road to Surin, street 226) you drive over a bridge. ( Saphan Khao,white bridge).

Go straight, turn right at the next traffic light after 7 eleven.

. Follow the road about 1 km and you'll see a big restaurant on the left, sorry forgot the name of it.

I'd visit the Italian restaurant in Ubon. Difficult to find a better one in Europe. It's called Spagos and you can google it.

Bon appetitito! coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

I would recommend Smile rest. in Srinarong rd in Ubon. Good food, red wine, Live band which plays mostly "farang" music. Location : a couple of hundred meters in after turning west at the south west corner of the city park.

Jum Pa Hom in Pitchitrangsan rd is another on in Ubon. Location: 100 meters east of the Laithong hotel.

Both places opens around 17.00.

Plenty more options in Ubon, and I'm sure others will come up with their favourites! biggrin.png

+1 re Smile. Classy/modern and good Thai food. Just don't go there when Bergen is about to go on stage with his harmonicabiggrin.png {only teasing}

And for a second or third visit, try the restaurants on 'the beach' at Ubon. There are over 100 restaurants it seems on the banks of a long meander in the river Mun and in the river itself on piers. This all happens outside and west of Ubon. The food is fairly standard Thai fare with barbequed fish, Tom Yam Plaa and Laarp Plaa being the typical keynote dishes (most menus are pretty extensive though).

For location on a nice evening it's very hard to beat.

Directions: travel north-east bound along the Ubon Ring Road West, starting from from the SiSaket intersection with the Ubon Ring Road West. After about 2 kilos you will cross the Mun River (can't miss it - it's Thailand's second river and quite wide! Immediately after crossing the Mun River (like 20 meters after) turn left - signposted to Had Ku Dua. Proceed along this road which follows the north bank of the Mun and as the road starts to turn right to follow the meander you will come accross scores of river restaurants.

[May be under water at any time between August and October! Don't worry they will rebuild it all as per usual very quickly when the floods recede].

Edit: closer to your mate's home. There is a mini version of Ubon beach if you head for the Mun river north of Khantirom. Khantirom is 25k east of SiSaket and 40k west of Ubon. Coming from Ubon, turn right at the lights at the eastern end of Khantirom and the Mun River is about 3-5k after the raliway crossing

Edited by SantiSuk

And for a second or third visit, try the restaurants on 'the beach' at Ubon. There are over 100 restaurants it seems on the banks of a long meander in the river Mun and in the river itself on piers. This all happens outside and west of Ubon. The food is fairly standard Thai fare with barbequed fish, Tom Yam Plaa and Laarp Plaa being the typical keynote dishes (most menus are pretty extensive though).

For location on a nice evening it's very hard to beat.

Directions: travel north-east bound along the Ubon Ring Road West, starting from from the SiSaket intersection with the Ubon Ring Road West. After about 2 kilos you will cross the Mun River (can't miss it - it's Thailand's second river and quite wide! Immediately after crossing the Mun River (like 20 meters after) turn left - signposted to Had Ku Dua. Proceed along this road which follows the north bank of the Mun and as the road starts to turn right to follow the meander you will come accross scores of river restaurants.

[May be under water at any time between August and October! Don't worry they will rebuild it all as per usual very quickly when the floods recede].

Edit: closer to your mate's home. There is a mini version of Ubon beach if you head for the Mun river north of Khantirom. Khantirom is 25k east of SiSaket and 40k west of Ubon. Coming from Ubon, turn right at the lights at the eastern end of Khantirom and the Mun River is about 3-5k after the raliway crossing

. Smily in Ubon is pretty much okay, you’ll also find many other good restaurants.

There’s NO Khantirom in Thailand. The town is called Kantharalom.

When you come from Sisaket, drive through it; turn left at the last traffic light. Drive straight and make a right turn before the bridge.

There’re some good fish restaurants, always fresh from Mae Moon. You’ll sit on a floating restaurant, nice scenery etc

I hope Santi Suk won’t be there and play on his trumpet when you’re going there.

When you're coming from Ubon R. heading to Sisaket, there's also a fantastic Thai restaurant, the last on the left side, right at the end of town.biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai

Sorry about that. I always get that place muddled up with our (adoptive) daughters family name, Khantirom (the locals call it Khantalom which brings it very close). Must look out for that other Thai restaurant. Thanks Sir!

Sorry about that. I always get that place muddled up with our (adoptive) daughters family name, Khantirom (the locals call it Khantalom which brings it very close). Must look out for that other Thai restaurant. Thanks Sir!

I knew where you meant!!