Visiting King Cobra

junglechef

Heard birds squawking and a thud under the tree next to the house and saw a 2 meter, what I think was a King Cobra, rearing with it's hood fully opened. Think it was in tree trying to get nest and birds knocked it out. Has coloring same as books and internet search of the largest venomous snake in the world! Mai pen rai, it found shelter in the bushes under our bedroom window where our 2 mnth old baby sleeps!

post-101742-0-90123200-1340523159_thumb.

post-101742-0-88015600-1340523270_thumb.

I've never seen a king cobra in the wild in my life ever. I wouldn't mind observing them everyday in a safe distant. Only problems if you have dogs, particularly pit bulls that will attack the poor snake.

Edited by ARISTIDE

It's my ambition to see one in the wild......I'm jealous.......can you nip out and get a close up photo?? smile.png

Me too from the top of a bus.

To me King Cobras are the scariest land animals, I've seen lions in the wild and they basically are a bunch of lazy bast*rds. I'd love to see a King Cobra in strike mode..........I'd pee my pants but hey!!! what an experience biggrin.png

Have a look at this, amazing!!!

Edited by theblether

It's my ambition to see one in the wild......I'm jealous.......can you nip out and get a close up photo?? smile.png

To me King Cobras are the scariest land animals, I've seen lions in the wild and they basically are a bunch of lazy bast*rds. I'd love to see a King Cobra in strike mode..........I'd pee my pants but hey!!! what an experience biggrin.png

3 Gunga Dins. whistling.gif

3 Gunga Dins. whistling.gif

Dins???...........awwww transam even for you that's a bad one blink.png

I wonder which three members I would like to see take up that challenge........hmmm, hmmm, let me think coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I use to have a baby living in my garden in Hua Hin until I got a dog, but still would pull larger one's out of my pool and release in a field. I think they were pretty up close and personal shots, the first one was with a 18-55 ml lens, just out of spitting range (2m). I have some shots of the others's but can't seem to upload here, I'll try again and will keep an eye out for loins!

• Like 1

According to my research "It's preferred diet is mainly other venomous and non-venomous snakes but includes small reptiles, birds and amphibians as well" It reared and opened a large white hood, which I don't believe Rat Snakes have, but as I said "I think was .." and am looking for other's thoughts

I use to have a baby living in my garden in Hua Hin until I got a dog, but still would pull larger one's out of my pool and release in a field. I think they were pretty up close and personal shots, the first one was with a 18-55 ml lens, just out of spitting range (2m). I have some shots of the others's but can't seem to upload here, I'll try again and will keep an eye out for loins!

Thats no place for a baby, i hope you took it to social services 24.gif

• Like 1

According to my research "It's preferred diet is mainly other venomous and non-venomous snakes but includes small reptiles, birds and amphibians as well" It reared and opened a large white hood, which I don't believe Rat Snakes have, but as I said "I think was .." and am looking for other's thoughts

Where's "goshawk"? He knows his snakes......

I think you're probably right

Thats is not a King Cobra and King Cobras only eat other snakes so certainly not after the birds but for sure they would be sending out the alarm

Looks to me like a Rat snake KING COBRA FOOD

DK

Edited by ARISTIDE

You will notice the hood is vertical not horizontal like a King Cobra or any cobra for that fact.

I cant remember the name of that snake but it is the same one the Kids use at the Snake Farms for training because it is non venomous and good training for when they graduate to cobras.

DK

Im sorry but to me the only way I want to see a snake is in the road after 300 cars have run over it . Even then Id walk around it ....... I dont care how many rodents they eat .

I'm with you here. Must add the mrs shouts and screams if a snake is in the yard BUT, she deals with it, bless, dog food. smile.png

Here's a cobra they dealt with......

post-99758-0-41858300-1340547297_thumb.jpost-99758-0-28162900-1340547313_thumb.jpost-99758-0-01535900-1340547322_thumb.jpost-99758-0-02513400-1340547336_thumb.j

Might be safer to teach them to leave it alone, how many reports on TV where a dog is killed by a Cobra ? as they get older they get slower and eventually the cobra will win

DK

Can't teach old dogs new tricks. Better the dogs than the kids.......

post-99758-0-41858300-1340547297_thumb.jpost-99758-0-28162900-1340547313_thumb.jpost-99758-0-01535900-1340547322_thumb.jpost-99758-0-02513400-1340547336_thumb.j

Might be safer to teach them to leave it alone, how many reports on TV where a dog is killed by a Cobra ? as they get older they get slower and eventually the cobra will win

DK

True True but I am sure the kids know (mine do) to move in the opposite direction if they see a snake and the snake like most snakes will most likely be doing the same, the one you have to watch out for is the Malaysian Pit Viper who will not move when you approach and is the culprit of most deaths in Asia as people step on them.

Lets hope they all stay safe (even the snakes biggrin.png

regards

DK

DK

True True but I am sure the kids know (mine do) to move in the opposite direction if they see a snake and the snake like most snakes will most likely be doing the same, the one you have to watch out for is the Malaysian Pit Viper who will not move when you approach and is the culprit of most deaths in Asia as people step on them.

Lets hope they all stay safe (even the snakes biggrin.png

regards

DK

I don't train my dogs to attack cobras or any other snakes. They do what dogs do, they attack and kill most small living things in the garden. Snakes, rats, mice, birds on the ground. I guess it's nature in action. I probably should put some charts up with the most dangerous snakes likes kraits, or cobras which we get, to advise them to avoid. Not had a viper yet. One of two kraits lost a battle with the lawn mower, the other slid away. The boys know to come running & yelling when any snake is seen. And they do. We have a copy of "Snakes & other reptiles of Thailand" by Cox et al at hand, but the dogs don't seem to care......

Good luck trying to teach a dog to leave snakes alone. Dogs instinctively raise hell when there's a snake around. It's what dogs do.

Snakes just aren't all that popular among mammals in general. Snakes need to deal with that and not go all whiny about it.