Help Me Stop The Illegal Wildlife Trade Outside Of Kantharalak, Sisaket Thailand!

AnandaSatvha

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The borders of Thailand and Cambodia located at the Khao Phra WIhan National Forest were once home to millions of species flourishing in a lush habitat of pristine life.

You mentioned a few apes. What would the rest of the "millions of species" consist of, mosquitoes ? rolleyes.gif

The borders of Thailand and Cambodia located at the Khao Phra WIhan National Forest were once home to millions of species flourishing in a lush habitat of pristine life.

You mentioned a few apes. What would the rest of the "millions of species" consist of, mosquitoes ? rolleyes.gif

We know you are really Dr Dolittle and it was you with the bees.

It is a shame what the top end of town do to the bottom end.....in reality and in this day and age....I wonder if we have any chance of reversing the trend...too many people just don't give a shit.

• Like 1

They could not even save a few huge trees along a road nearby where I live.......so not much chance of them looking at the bigger picture.

I tried to contact a local save the forest type group here.....like pulling teeth.....but pulling teeth gets an end result.

Got to say it's a problem here as well. Lao land border. Only international pressure on the BKK Government will work. Things are getting better here as I see more border soldiers out and about, but it's a long border of jungle and both sides need to be involved. Don't think Lao or Cambodia have the resources to police the areas. Captive breeding and release when the population is more inclined to wild life preservation. That will be an education thing and will take time, Where there is money to be made people will take the chance to make it. Gather a tiger goes for around $10,000 US, a lot of money to a poor Thai or Lao farmer. Jim

There are areas in Thailand, such as Khao Yai and Chiang Dao Mountain, which are 'more or less' protected, and in which the remaining wildlife has a reasonable chance of survival. In Khao Yai, for example, it is easy to see gibbons. It is far more important to tighten up the protection on these areas than to fritter away precious resources on a porous border area. The police won't help; the border guards will shoot the wildlife; the locals will trap what they can.

Laos and Cambodia both have nature reserves, and are trying, with far less resources than Thailand, to conserve their wildlife; they are unlikely to help in the border areas. Add to the porosity of the area, the danger of landmines, and the widespread smuggling of consumer goods.

There are areas in Thailand, such as Khao Yai and Chiang Dao Mountain, which are 'more or less' protected, and in which the remaining wildlife has a reasonable chance of survival. In Khao Yai, for example, it is easy to see gibbons. It is far more important to tighten up the protection on these areas than to fritter away precious resources on a porous border area. The police won't help; the border guards will shoot the wildlife; the locals will trap what they can.

Laos and Cambodia both have nature reserves, and are trying, with far less resources than Thailand, to conserve their wildlife; they are unlikely to help in the border areas. Add to the porosity of the area, the danger of landmines, and the widespread smuggling of consumer goods.

Good post! thumbsup.gif

Border or not....if they are a pristine area....it needs to be protected.

Whether it will or can or not is another question.

Look at the virgin rainforests being trashed in Indo now.....of every new patch of oil palm plantation being planted presently...it is said that 3 out of 4 acres is from frsh cleared jungle.

Look at what is planned for the Amazon with its dams.

With so few lungs of the world left....the human race deserves what it gets really....but it is a shame that the few good eggs...will be trashed with all the retards that do not give a toss.

I live on the edge of Khao Yai.....there are people in there hunting or stealing timber every day.

There are supposedly no tigers left now.

Blind brutal ingnorance I am afraid. Even the former PM in exile said that Thailand would never amount to much if the population kept watching the mindless crap on Telly and reading comic books. Was he chastised by the public for saying this ? No the Thais said he was right. !!!

I just came back from the UK the other week and the BBC had their Spring Watch programme showing live coverage all over the country about Britains wildlife. Millions of (well educated ) viewers watch and take part around the nation and have a genuine interest in wildlife and its well being.

In S.E. Asia the only interest is money and food. If you can get money from making an elephant ride a bike and tightrope walk or if you can deep fry the critter all the better. Any and every opportunity is exploited Tigers penis, bears bile, fried water beetles and scorpions for crying out loud. How about exporting thousands of peoples pet dogs across the border to feed the Koreans. Lets shoot every Rhino and cut its horn off cos the Chniese believe utter sh*t that it is an aphrodisiac.

Thailand has no room for stampeding herds of Wildebeest and I have met locals that think this is "not real" when watching the Discovery channel. But, they just don't get it when there is the possibility that his country would be flooded with even more tourists if they did have "real" nature reserves like Kasiranga in India with its Tigers and Asian Rhino. The make a fast buck mind set and rampant corruption buggers up any chance of that happening.

I feel for the OP, he/she maybe lives very close to what was a garden of Eden and now is an image of Hell.

The fact of the matter is nothing will stop this madness on the planet until it is all gone.

Meanwhile the rest of the planet is hoodwinked by government sponsored <deleted> called climate change. If corporate carbon credits were re-directed at educating the masses that they are killing the planet by just simply killing insects on their vegetables, they might wake up to real facts about how this tiny planet is doomed soon if we dont stop slashing, burning, shooting, over fishing, illegal logging and dumping all our crap over whats left.

So on that cheery note I'll end this rant about my fellow humans. Is that the right word to call people that behave like this ?

• Like 2

Samsiam and Lonewolf are, of course, both right. I too would love to be able to protect the border areas and all the rest of what is left of Thailand's wildlife. But this will never happen until the Thai people are educated to love their country (yes, I do mean that) in the same way as Britons and Americans love theirs.

There is far more interest among Thais in wildlife now than there was, say, twenty years ago, but still not enough. Take heart, however, from what has happened in Hong Kong; a tiny expatriate birdwatching society recruited its first Chinese members in the 1970s, and now the society is thirty or forty times as large, and predominantly Chinese.

Meanwhile, concerned societies and individuals have to build on what is there, not fritter away precious resources by doing a bit here, and a bit there. Khao Yai, as you say, needs more protection; so do the Western Forest Complex, some of the Northern mountains, and many areas in the peninsular south.

• Like 1

On a slightly more positive note, there is at least a gibbon sanctuary in Phuket that rehabilitates gibbons found in captivity, and, when possible, releases them into the wild. Such efforts should be supported, and can be by donations from the public.

• Like 1

On a slightly more positive note, there is at least a gibbon sanctuary in Phuket that rehabilitates gibbons found in captivity, and, when possible, releases them into the wild. Such efforts should be supported, and can be by donations from the public.

And 40 minutes from Ubon, is the sanctuary of Long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis) in the Don Chao Poo Forest in Phana.

More information can be found on http://www.phanathailife.typepad.com/

• Like 1

Just so folks know out there...I am well aware of the fact we have no Bears, Wolves and wild cattle in Britain any more......but our excuse was an island nation did not have the room.

The Australians would dearly love to get rid of domestic cats and toads....and don't mention the snakes in Guam that have eaten all the birds....When mankind gets involved, we can really screw with nature. But nature has a way of biting back, big style.

Ge rid of all the pesky insects and bees ....we are all dead. There will be a planet with just the rustling sound of a few cockroaches scuttling around.

Now we have re-introduced Beavers in Scotland, which might be a bad idea now ? Who knows ?

We still have the "Big Hairy Beaver" but thats a totally differerent kettle of fish. blink.png

They could not even save a few huge trees along a road nearby where I live.......so not much chance of them looking at the bigger picture.

I tried to contact a local save the forest type group here.....like pulling teeth.....but pulling teeth gets an end result.

Excuse me if my absence in the forum appeared to be a psychological breakdown of Neurotransmitters, in reality I was tapping into the Lotus Tree for some Data from these brilliant Thai Policians who NEVER ACT on ENVIRONMENTAL Issues. You're right SamSIam, PULLING TEETH often does get an End Result and the blood the boy eats will turn him into an adult! There are NUMEROUS ENDANGEReD HABITATS all over Thailand that NEED immediate protection, not only for 3-4 locations. The Isaan regions natural habitats and resources are increasingly being consumed. POPULATION CONTROL is the answer, After a man has 1 child they should be sterilized and I'm talking WORLD WIDE! How can we call ourselves humans?? I see myself in the mirror (Occassionally free of Self-Denial) and accept I'm a Parasite. I just wish i had more people out in this area who wanted to help me work together with the forestry department to protect wildlife. A few days ago I helped plant a rare species of Tree which is quickly being deforested by the Chinese Mafia. I asked the Forest Rangers why they don't STOP them and they said "We don't have enough guns OR enough money to do our jobs!" My next step..

I think I will get myself a megaphone attached to my bicycle/moto and start programming the masses like the BIG Corporations do with there 10 mph pickup truck headache promotion routes.... Maybe get some sponsors and pay the Bicycle taxi's to use some kinetic energy to promote change with some megaphones!!

Has the OP lost interest after the initial burst....has he/she fallen off their chair in a clouded smoke filled room...with a severe case of the munchies ??

He is saving Rayong today. Maybe you can catch him between NASA and there.

There are areas in Thailand, such as Khao Yai and Chiang Dao Mountain, which are 'more or less' protected, and in which the remaining wildlife has a reasonable chance of survival. In Khao Yai, for example, it is easy to see gibbons.

Beautiful.

It's probably why lots of 'Big' people with power have illegally encroached on Khao Yai National Park in order to build a nice big country ranch for themselves.

Perhaps read up about them.

Edited by siam cbr

Has the OP lost interest after the initial burst....has he/she fallen off their chair in a clouded smoke filled room...with a severe case of the munchies ??

He is saving Rayong today. Maybe you can catch him between NASA and there.Ob

Obviously you didnt read my entire post. YOU MUST see the bigger picture to see how everything is connected in such a small country and as Siam SbK said 'SUCH Big ranches for the BIG PEOPLE on such LITTLE LAND they have left.

Try contacting the Khao Yai Foundation for protecting the National Park....maybe its just me.....but hopeless.

Can you speak Thai? Contacting Thai's by telephone or Email usually is hopeless, you need FACE TO FACE Contact to get a reaction my brother, where r u staying on the Map of Thailand nowadays?

Blind brutal ingnorance I am afraid. Even the former PM in exile said that Thailand would never amount to much if the population kept watching the mindless crap on Telly and reading comic books. Was he chastised by the public for saying this ? No the Thais said he was right. !!!

I just came back from the UK the other week and the BBC had their Spring Watch programme showing live coverage all over the country about Britains wildlife. Millions of (well educated ) viewers watch and take part around the nation and have a genuine interest in wildlife and its well being.

In S.E. Asia the only interest is money and food. If you can get money from making an elephant ride a bike and tightrope walk or if you can deep fry the critter all the better. Any and every opportunity is exploited Tigers penis, bears bile, fried water beetles and scorpions for crying out loud. How about exporting thousands of peoples pet dogs across the border to feed the Koreans. Lets shoot every Rhino and cut its horn off cos the Chniese believe utter sh*t that it is an aphrodisiac.

Thailand has no room for stampeding herds of Wildebeest and I have met locals that think this is "not real" when watching the Discovery channel. But, they just don't get it when there is the possibility that his country would be flooded with even more tourists if they did have "real" nature reserves like Kasiranga in India with its Tigers and Asian Rhino. The make a fast buck mind set and rampant corruption buggers up any chance of that happening.

I feel for the OP, he/she maybe lives very close to what was a garden of Eden and now is an image of Hell.

The fact of the matter is nothing will stop this madness on the planet until it is all gone.

Meanwhile the rest of the planet is hoodwinked by government sponsored <deleted> called climate change. If corporate carbon credits were re-directed at educating the masses that they are killing the planet by just simply killing insects on their vegetables, they might wake up to real facts about how this tiny planet is doomed soon if we dont stop slashing, burning, shooting, over fishing, illegal logging and dumping all our crap over whats left.

So on that cheery note I'll end this rant about my fellow humans. Is that the right word to call people that behave like this ?

Over 100 species of Life go extinct everyday because of US HUMANS or Parasites should be the right word to call ourselves. A good book for all of you to get started would be to read the book "ISHMAEL", by Daniel Quinn. Written entirely in the wonderful English Language , as for the misfortunes of people like Kerry I believe they have an edition in Brail. Thats a great 1st step..

Don't shout at the people, OP; teach them. Go to, or start, a forest monastery, and teach the local children about the wildlife you find there. That's where to start. Shouting at the adults is a waste of time.

You posted initially about the border area. Yes, I know it needs protection, but the only way to stop people crossing it, and trapping in it, illegally is to build a whacking great fence... and that won't do the wildlife much good. Ironically, one of the factors preventing anyone from properly protecting the border forest in fact works in wildlife's favour..... the landmines.

By the way, be careful who you preach to on this forum. Some of us have been involved in environmental conservation for many years (I used to be known in Hong Kong as Save the Land xxxxxxxx)

Edited by isanbirder
  • Like 1