Driving License For Motorbike (For International Car Dl Holders)

Pini

Hi,

I have an international car DL but no motorbike DL.

Will having a motorbike DL help with getting a Thai motorbike DL OR it's the same procedure if I have just a car DL?

*I have no need for a motorbike DL in for my country as I don't plan to ever drive one here, it's just for Thailand.

Thx!

But taking the test here is no big deal.

Taking the test here is some of the best entertainment on the island.

So that explains why we haven't seen you on the court. I see, down at the DMT every day watching them fall off motorbikes, driving over centre dividers and back into poles whilst trying to park. I agree, good spectator sport and free admission.

whistling.gif

Agreed. Lol

Perhaps you would get a better response in the Motor Forum. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/78-thailand-motor-forum/

Feel free to use the forum search feature. This topic has been done ad nauseam.

And please explain what you mean by "An international car DL" as there is no such thing. Do you mean a home DL with an International Drivers Permit (IDP) issued with it? Or is it one of those internet scam "International Drivers License" websites such as the one who's Google ads banner is often seen on these type of threads. Also, are you a resident of Thailand or planning to become one or just a tourist?

Agreed. Lol

Perhaps you would get a better response in the Motor Forum. http://www.thaivisa....nd-motor-forum/

And please explain what you mean by "An international car DL" as there is no such thing. Do you mean a home DL with an International Drivers Permit (IDP) issued with it? Or is it one of those internet scam "International Drivers License" websites such as the one who's Google ads banner is often seen on these type of threads. Also, are you a resident of Thailand or planning to become one or just a tourist?

Actually I think LiK's response is spot on.

Related question. Does Thailand have different type of motorbike licenses, like many other country have? Limited by weight of the motorbike or size of the motor?

My license just says: Private motorbike. So that includes all?

Agreed. Lol

Perhaps you would get a better response in the Motor Forum. http://www.thaivisa....nd-motor-forum/

In the past we had to go to the post office and get an international DL (just a piece of paper).

The whole process was 5 minutes but was needed as the DL was not accepted in several countries (I guess it was something to do with the language which was printed on the card)

Now the DL card comes in English had been modified with all the safety features so it already is suitable to be used in most countries so that's what I mean international DL, a DL which can be used internationally.

Driving a bike without insurance is easy until you have an accident... I don't want to think about having one without insurance...

Related question. Does Thailand have different type of motorbike licenses, like many other country have? Limited by weight of the motorbike or size of the motor?

Yes, includes all.

Yes, includes all.

Only one type of motor bike licence in Thailand = includes all:)

Thanks for the info!

I think that can be a good loophole to get an bike DL on another countries as well.

Do it here, which is not expensive nor hard (at least when compared to Singapore) and then get an DL on another country by just doing the local theory test or similar. :)

Agreed. Lol

In the past we had to go to the post office and get an international DL (just a piece of paper).

The whole process was 5 minutes but was needed as the DL was not accepted in several countries (I guess it was something to do with the language which was printed on the card)

Now the DL card comes in English had been modified with all the safety features so it already is suitable to be used in most countries so that's what I mean international DL, a DL which can be used internationally.

Ok. You were right then. :)

Yes, includes all.

Not quite guys. A motorbike license held by a 15,16 or 17 year old is only valid on a bike up to 110cc. smile.png

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Yes, includes all.

Not quite guys. A motorbike license held by a 15,16 or 17 year old is only valid on a bike up to 110cc. smile.png

Like that makes a pinch of shit difference....a 50 kilo boy on a tricked up 110cc can really move, Ive seen them jumping those little bridges over the klongs in Phuket Town, Quite spectacular

Like that makes a pinch of shit difference....a 50 kilo boy on a tricked up 110cc can really move, Ive seen them jumping those little bridges over the klongs in Phuket Town, Quite spectacular

And usually the cylinders on those bikes are bored out so they are actually 140, 180, even 220cc. Cops have no way to know it unless they take the engine apart.

Edited by NomadJoe

• 6 months later...

True story. A mate and I took the test some years back. Cars and Bikes going around, one official watching proceedings. On the incline a lady starts rolling back in her car. Guy on the bike behind her backpeddles faster than you can believe. Some how I managed to contain my laughter, mate did not. Thai official hears him laughing - guess who fails!!! Double funny! Although he did not see it that way of course! Funniest part was the cost - cheap as chips.