Nakhon Phanom

ubonrthai

Got any restaurant suggestions in the city? Favorite Thai food shop?

I have enjoyed the View Khong Restaurant every time I have stayed in NP. The restaurant at the Riverview hotel is also very good.

• Nakhon Phanom Riverview Hotel Restaurant, 9 Nakhon Phanom-That Phanom Rd. For great river views, stroll 1-2km south along the river promenade toward the Nakhon Phanom River View Hotel. The hotel boasts a fancy restaurant with ample A/C and phenomenal food to justify the splurge. Dishes 80-350฿. Live music nightly.
  • View Khong , 527 Sunton Witchit Rd. (☎042 522 314), an open-air riverside eatery with a stunning view of mountains in Laos. Has an extensive menu with fish (50-169฿) fresh from the river. Open daily noon-midnight.
    Read more: http://www.letsgo.com/1699-northeast_thailand-travel-guides-nakhon_phanom-d#ixzz2075JsKf6

What are the top 5 places one should visit while in Nakhon Phanom?

Don't forget the Mekong River Cruise boat, leaves from in front of the Indochina market at 17.00hrs. Price fifty baht per person, approximately one hour duration.

Regards

Boat is the best value in town as it's now leaving a little later due to the 19.00 hrs sunset.

In my opinion, the other hotels suggested are out-dated and over-priced. Others north on the river are far better; there is even the Chelsea restaurant owned & run by a Thai lady who worked in the uK for 20+ years..

Try the middle of town walking west from the Vietnamese clock tower for the best quick/cheap/local meals available in countless restaurants. If you go north 75m from the clock tower, 2 brothers have great Thai food and draft beer which is also overlooking the river -- my wife thinks I'm too old to go in there; but what the h***; draught beer & good Thai food by the river, every day please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What are the top 5 places one should visit while in Nakhon Phanom?

Don't forget the Mekong River Cruise boat, leaves from in front of the Indochina market at 17.00hrs. Price fifty baht per person, approximately one hour duration.

Regards

Boat is the best value in town as it's now leaving a little later due to the 19.00 hrs sunset.

In my opinion, the other hotels suggested are out-dated and over-priced. Others north on the river are far better; there is even the Chelsea restaurant owned & run by a Thai lady who worked in the uK for 20+ years..

Try the middle of town walking west from the Vietnamese clock tower for the best quick/cheap/local meals available in countless restaurants. If you go north 75m from the clock tower, 2 brothers have great Thai food and draft beer which is also overlooking the river -- my wife thinks I'm too old to go in there; but what the h***; draught beer & good Thai food by the river, every day please.

I stayed in NP on Monday and Tuesday. Rained both days. For dinner on Monday night we ate at the House on the Edge of the Kong. It is 100 m up from the Chelsea restaurant. I have been there many times over the years. For Tuesday lunch we went to the Chelsea restaurant. Okay nice view and very clean. NP is a very quiet place at night. Almost dead by 8 pm. Not like Ubon where we live which seems to go all night and is now having massive traffic jams. No traffic jams in NP.