Suvarnabhumi Airport Runway Fixed, Operational Friday

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport runway fixed, operational Friday

image_201207061139475A962AE3-DF99-9580-0344671B1407CA8F.jpg

BANGKOK, July 6 - A five-centimetre deep depression on the western runway of Suvarnabhumi Airport has been fixed and can now operate normally, according to Somchai Sawasdeepon, Suvarnabhumi Airport director.

Mr Somchai said he received the report about the airport's western runway subsidence at 8pm Thursday. The subsidence spot is five centimetres deep and 60 centimetres wide and long.

The runway area, where the planes are taking off and landing, has absorbed the aircraft's weight and need regular maintenance, he said.

It took 15 minutes to fix it and Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Ltd was informed to manage air traffic properly during the repairs, Mr Somchai explained.

As a result, 11 flights were redirected to Don Mueang and U-Tapao airports.

The western runway can be used normally without any problem, the airport director said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-06

"Mr Somchai said the runway area, where the planes are taking off and landing, has absorbed the aircraft's weight and need regular maintenance."

That's what runways are for, Somchai, and runways globally need regular maintenance . . . but not, I'll warrant, as regularly as those at Suvarnabhumi.

A new faultline, caused by a previous earthquake, was found in Nakhon Nayok province and could be considered the country's 15th active faultline, a seminar of geological professionals and related agencies was told yesterday. The Nation

Maybe they have just found the 16th....

• Like 2

Maybe the airport is managed by hotel style CEO's, Hotels have monthly periodic inspections and maintainence, This airport needs them, as the foundations are not deep enough, and the top layers are not of a good enough durable quality. Hence the cheap charlie frequent repairs. Good depth and Quality surface SHOULD have at least 10 years +.

• Like 1

Very reassuring. The same people that built it were probably hired to fix it. It would be interesting to know who was responsible for the construction contract in the beginning and who got the repair contract. That, though, would require the Thai government to be transparent and accountable, and to be transparent and accountable would mean that they couldn't be corrupt. If the Thai government were become less corrupt, it would cease to be the Thai government and Thailand altogether, as graft, unaccountability and Thai-ness seem to go hand in hand for most folks, most of the time.

AVIATION

Subsidence on airport's western runway fixed

30185635-01_big.jpg

Photo was taken at about 10am.//Photo : Pakdee Sukpherm

BANGKOK: -- A five-centimetre-deep depression on the western runway of Suvarnabhumi Airport has been fixed and the runway can now operate normally, Somchai Sawasdeepon, Suvarnabhumi Airport director, has confirmed.

According to Thai News Agency, Somchai said he received the report about the subsidence on the airport's western runway at 8pm Thursday. The subsidence spot is five centimetres deep and 60 centimetres wide and long.

It took 15 minutes to fix and Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Ltd was told to manage air traffic properly during the repairs, Somchai explained. As a result, 11 flights were redirected to Don Mueang and U-Tapao airports.

The western runway can be used normally without any problem, the airport director said.

The runway area, where planes take off and land, absorbs aircraft weight and needs regular maintenance, he said conceding that the western runway has been used heavily as parts of the eastern runway have been under repair since June 11.

With work scheduled for completion by August 2, the runway can be partially used during the renovation period.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-06

AOT: Runway sinkhole was not caused by construction flaw

BANGKOK, 6 July 2012 (NNT) - Following the collapse of a runway in Suvarnahumi Airport last night, the airport’s General Manager, Somchai Sawasdeepon, said the collapse did not result from a construction flaw.

Mr Somchai said that maintenance works was immediately carried out at its western runway after a 60-centermeter wide and 5-centimeter deep sinkhole in the asphalt was found late last night.

The collapse caused several flights to be diverted to Don Muang, U-Tapao and Chiang Mai airports.

The AOT president confirmed that a structural integrity flaw is not the cause of the sinkhole. He elaborated that as Suvarnahumi Airport had been closing down its eastern runway for a period of 60 days for maintenance, the western runway had to shoulder additional weight, causing it to crack and collapse.

He concluded that airport staff members have been urged to keep a close watch on the situation and to be equipped with additional landing gear in the event of an emergency.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-06 footer_n.gif

AVIATION

Subsidence on airport's western runway fixed

30185635-01_big.jpg

Photo was taken at about 10am.//Photo : Pakdee Sukpherm

That's a pretty bad patch job. They could have at least rolled it and swept away the loose asphalt.

• Like 1

"The AOT president confirmed that a structural integrity flaw is not the cause of the sinkhole. He elaborated that as Suvarnahumi Airport had been closing down its eastern runway for a period of 60 days for maintenance, the western runway had to shoulder additional weight, causing it to crack and collapse."

Does he actually believe what he is saying if so scary. The 'weight' is the same as always just more landings. When the aiport was built there were some great designs submitted by highly qualified civil engineers for runways. All were turned down in favour of a unmentionable company, no true piled foundations just compacted sand, concrete and asphalt same as most roads in Bangkok. Every year this will get worse, TIT.

15 years ago I worked for a short time for a company from Houston that supplied a material to airports for just the sort of repair they are talking about. It is in granular form in 50 Kg bags you spread it in the hole in 5cm layers and then compress it with a hand tamp up to 3 layers deep & as sonn as it has been tamped it turns solid and chemicaly binds with the surrounding asphalt.

AOT: Runway sinkhole was not caused by construction flaw

BANGKOK, 6 July 2012 (NNT) - Following the collapse of a runway in Suvarnahumi Airport last night, the airport’s General Manager, Somchai Sawasdeepon, said the collapse did not result from a construction flaw.

Mr Somchai said that maintenance works was immediately carried out at its western runway after a 60-centermeter wide and 5-centimeter deep sinkhole in the asphalt was found late last night.

The collapse caused several flights to be diverted to Don Muang, U-Tapao and Chiang Mai airports.

The AOT president confirmed that a structural integrity flaw is not the cause of the sinkhole. He elaborated that as Suvarnahumi Airport had been closing down its eastern runway for a period of 60 days for maintenance, the western runway had to shoulder additional weight, causing it to crack and collapse.

He concluded that airport staff members have been urged to keep a close watch on the situation and to be equipped with additional landing gear in the event of an emergency.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-06 footer_n.gif

As fas as news articles go, a chimp could have done better.

I don't think I have read so much complete <deleted> in my life - and that's saying something having been on here for many years!

• Like 1

Its all about soil mechanics its obvious the soil wasn't compacted properly. If anyone knows what I'm talking about there are people who specialize in this type of work and its obvious one wasn't consulted on this job.

Does anyone have any idea what what the President of AOt is talking about ?? Does he know what he is talking about ? He wants "airport staff members" to be " equipped with additional landing gear in the event of an emergency". Does anyone know what this means ?

Its all about soil mechanics its obvious the soil wasn't compacted properly. If anyone knows what I'm talking about there are people who specialize in this type of work and its obvious one wasn't consulted on this job.

Very good, this is the type of replies that are true to the point not negative or flaming anyone but factual.

Many post here are just to get people fired up and many who post no nothing about construction, human possibilities, respect for the Thais and their lifestyle or culture. Let them do their thing and if you don't like it leave. I am sure you won't do that as you want to exploit the Kingdom's resources . IE; cheap living, buying girls, drinking all night, etc. What you do is not my business as what the government does is not yours. Yes you can voice your opinion but with facts no just personal, selfish, biased and yes bigoted observations.

I Love Thailand. What ever they do is fine with me. I Love living here, the culture, food and people. I look forward to the day when they get it right. There are many problems in the Government, corruption etc but I can't vote except with my wallet that I do often but I tell businesses calmly what can be improved, the Thai way, never angry but instructing and teaching.

Kind regards,

Randy

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea what what the President of AOt is talking about ?? Does he know what he is talking about ? He wants "airport staff members" to be " equipped with additional landing gear in the event of an emergency". Does anyone know what this means ?

They will probably float the planes down onto giant skateboards to spread the load across the width of the runway.

• Like 1

They will probably float the planes down onto giant skateboards to spread the load across the width of the runway.

And while I'm at it

................ western runway had to shoulder additional weight, causing it to crack and collapse.

We now have heavier planes coming in?

If these remarks are accurate then he must be as well aquainted with the laws of physics as the honourable minister for science and the consumption of protected species.

Yikes. I was on UA 803 last night. We landed on 19R ~ 23:00 scheduled arrival was 23:05.

We were looking to arrive ~ 35 minutes early, so 22:30 but we were in several holding patterns starting near Khorat. The Captain said it was due to delays owing to the runway repairs on 1R/29L, but now I suspect it was due to this rapid repair on the parallel runway. The Captain had turned off Ch. 9 so now way to know for sure.

We now have heavier planes coming in?

If these remarks are accurate then he must be as well aquainted with the laws of physics as the honourable minister for science and the consumption of protected species.

A380's perhaps?

Edited by lomatopo

Easy to understand really. Allplanes will from now on carry a bucket of quick drying cement. All pilots have been told to do a low and slow fly over and any holes seen ,the cabin crew have been trained to mix and drop the aformentioned concrete.The traffic control then puts the aircraft on a 15min holding pattern. Upon clearance from TC the aircraft lands amid loud cheers fron Pax and crew.What a great way to finish a long boring flight. Thats what I call initiative!!!!!!!!!

15 years ago I worked for a short time for a company from Houston that supplied a material to airports for just the sort of repair they are talking about. It is in granular form in 50 Kg bags you spread it in the hole in 5cm layers and then compress it with a hand tamp up to 3 layers deep & as sonn as it has been tamped it turns solid and chemicaly binds with the surrounding asphalt.

I am sure that they did a better job than using this material - a Cold Melt Asphalic Concete. I may be used for some low use taxi way areas or parking areas but never for a runway. It relies on using a suspension agent ( usually a soap) to make the patch material workable. It requires some period of time ( usually days) for the suspension agent to evaporate before it can become as solid as Hot Melt. Further, using this material would not take into account the need, on a runway, to maintain smoothness, consistent drainage ( to avoid aquaplaning) and consistent skid resistance.

I feel confident that they did a reasonably competent job, without the able assistance of TV experts.

Edited by tigermonkey

SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT

11 flights affected by West Runway's crack

The Nation

30185636-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand Plc, the operator of Suvarnabhumi Airport, has already fixed the crack on the West Runway, which led to the diversion of 11 flights last night.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, senior executive vice president of AOT, today led a media tour to the spot, within Section 19R.

The 6cm-deep 60x60cm long crack prompted the closure of the runway during 8.30-9.30pm last night for fixing.

Somchai attributed the crack to water infiltration during the floods and long time of use. He said that such cracks are found at many other spots of the runway.

He admitted that this would affect the traffic, as the East Runway is now closed for maintenance.

Last night, a number of 11 flights were diverted to U-Tapao, Don Mueang and Chiang Mai airports during the closure.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-06