Best 3 G Isp In Pattaya

seasia

Hi

Hope OK in here as it is Pattaya specific.

I have internet provided in the apartment I live in but sometimes it is very poor.

I want to get a 3 G air card as back up.

I`m slightly favouring AIS.

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated, not unduly worried about the cheapest price as long as it works.

Narrowing it down, I`m in naklua, Wong Amat area

Thanks.smile.png

i live out by Mabprachan. i have no phone line so have little choice in provider

however i chose true 3g H on a contract at 599 + tax

its been good for me

only drawback is the throttle back to Edge by CAT after 5GB has been downloaded

• Like 1

i live out by Mabprachan. i have no phone line so have little choice in provider

its been good for me

A couple of friends of mine live out there, they have adsl from TOT ... well, it's not great - but a good choice if you need to download huge files, or even a torrent or two.

its been good for me

I agree however that is with TrueMove mobile I assume? I think the OP is talking about air cards. I also have True 3G H for 599+ and I have an iPhone so I use it as my "hotspot" and can run my Macbook or iPad from it at the same time but like timekeeper says after it slider back down to Edge after 5GB it gets slow but still ok for emails etc.

its been good for me

I agree however that is with TrueMove mobile I assume? I think the OP is talking about air cards. I also have True 3G H for 599+ and I have an iPhone so I use it as my "hotspot" and can run my Macbook or iPad from it at the same time but like timekeeper says after it slider back down to Edge after 5GB it gets slow but still ok for emails etc.

you are back then ?

i thought you had Gone?, Gone

you assume wrong, its in an Aircard......

post-45550-0-94875100-1341655602_thumb.j

its been good for me

A couple of friends of mine live out there, they have adsl from TOT ... well, it's not great - but a good choice if you need to download huge files, or even a torrent or two.

if you have a phone........

its been good for me

A line is 108 THB and free instalation.. so , this shouldnt hold you back ;-)

its been good for me

A line is 108 THB and free instalation.. so , this shouldnt hold you back ;-)

if you can get me one for that i would be very obliged indeed

as it is there's no numbers available in the exchange

the last one was sold at auction locally for 55,000 baht two years ago

other than that i would have the added obstacle that there's no telegraph poles, cables or otherwise to deliver it even if i had a spot in the exchange

they would want another 50,000 to get the wire to my house

Edited by Rimmer

I'm in Naklua and we use True H. It's great until you hit the darned 5GB DL/UL limit. Then it is almost unusable. They say they cut you back to 128K but it's more like 20K at times. I was so hot one time that I went out a bought an AIS aircard for around 1000 and paid another 800 per month. This was because I used up the 5GB on True after about 20 days.

Anyway, you would be fine with either. I DL alot of movies and shows but probably you won't hit the 5GB limit.

ironic mode on *GG*

I'll spare you the details. An exchange is a national/provider thing. NOT depending on the area, it has to do with DID and DIDX.

So you can have ANY phone number you like. Right now, TOT would charge you around 50000,- THB if you fancy to have the number 1234 like pizza hut.

Telegraph Poles ? Seriously? ROFL. Haven’t seen them in Thailand at all, so please ( that is to all of you guys at TV) enlighten me! Ever seen one? I do assume, you have power at your place, right?? Okay, that is a power pole =)) and there is no way you can hang a phone wire to it? This is the place where phone-cables here usually go..

ironic mode off

So wherever you got your information from, please reconsider finding a second opinion! Thailand is a beautiful country worth living in. If you learn to understand the local language and custom – you will be a happy camper- and you can read the sign saying chiang tolesap or chiang fei next to your property.

TOT charges12 B a meter for their wire 15 afaik that would make a whopping 2 miles if they would charge you 20 b. are you farming out threre?

Edited by JakeBKK

ironic mode on *GG*

I'll spare you the details. An exchange is a national/provider thing. NOT depending on the area, it has to do with DID and DIDX.

So you can have ANY phone number you like. Right now, TOT would charge you around 50000,- THB if you fancy to have the number 1234 like pizza hut.

Telegraph Poles ? Seriously? ROFL. Haven’t seen them in Thailand at all, so please ( that is to all of you guys at TV) enlighten me! Ever seen one? I do assume, you have power at your place, right?? Okay, that is a power pole =)) and there is no way you can hang a phone wire to it? This is the place where phone-cables here usually go..

ironic mode off

So wherever you got your information from, please reconsider finding a second opinion! Thailand is a beautiful country worth living in. If you learn to understand the local language and custom – you will be a happy camper- and you can read the sign saying chiang tolesap or chiang fei next to your property.

TOT charges12 B a meter for their wire 15 afaik that would make a whopping 2 miles if they would charge you 20 b. are you farming out threre?

there are no numbers available where i live, i have been on a waiting list for 5 years

all the major telephone providers have been out, surveyed and provided no solid answers

TOT actually did a survey two years ago and initially took my money, then cancelled and refunded it when they discovered they had surveyed the wrong place!

Edited by Rimmer

I'm in Naklua and we use True H. It's great until you hit the darned 5GB DL/UL limit. Then it is almost unusable. They say they cut you back to 128K but it's more like 20K at times. I was so hot one time that I went out a bought an AIS aircard for around 1000 and paid another 800 per month. This was because I used up the 5GB on True after about 20 days.

Anyway, you would be fine with either. I DL alot of movies and shows but probably you won't hit the 5GB limit.

i agree with that, i usually hit 5gb at around 20 days

i have another sim pre paid with 1gb at 350baht ready for when it happens

it takes me through to the day when CAT frees me from my bonds....

I bought a truemove 3G E173 aircard about 2 weeks ago. I plugged it in set it up and it worked very well on 3G for 2 days. Then for some reason it has only ever connected to the 2G network since and that is painfully slow, just like the old dial up. I live in Pattaya Klang area, I should get better than 2G here. I'm not real happy with what I paid for, should be getting up 2 Mbits/s to 7.2 Mbit/s downloads but I am not anywhere near that.

Like all things in LOS there is no rhyme or reason for strange happenings. GF has aircard works great at Ground level in her shop surrounded by concrete, buildings trees etc. Climb to the apartment at the top of an 18 storey Condo with a panoramic views of the whole of Pattaya and every Comms mast for 50 Km North and the signal is.....utter p*sh.

Not worth the money. She streams live Thai T.V. in the shop and gets nothng upstairs.

So one person's perfect signal is another neighbours blocked treacle syrup ass draggin pain in the butt.

Thailand is planning digitising the Telly signal...bad news when you live behind a hill, in a valley, behind dense jungle and blocked by massive concrete Condos.

Edited by lonewolf99

Thanks for answers.

I`ve just bought an AIS air card, 7.2 Mbps black body, came with SIM and some pre loaded data, 1 GB I think, 1490 baht.

AIS customer service were helpful with a query I had on setting up.

Tried it out and seems to work OK, quite happy with it.

Thanks againsmile.png

I bought a truemove 3G E173 aircard about 2 weeks ago. I plugged it in set it up and it worked very well on 3G for 2 days. Then for some reason it has only ever connected to the 2G network since and that is painfully slow, just like the old dial up. I live in Pattaya Klang area, I should get better than 2G here. I'm not real happy with what I paid for, should be getting up 2 Mbits/s to 7.2 Mbit/s downloads but I am not anywhere near that.

I think it fair I correct my previous statement. Due to a technical issue I found my "connect to" settings were set to GSM only. With the help from forum user "Monty" he told me to force the settings to "WCDMA only" and now I connect to 3G all the time. It was not truemoves fault, it was my settings that somehow went to GSM only that was the cause. Truemove H 3G is pretty good and my speeds are where they should be and now I am happy once again.

seasia, well done on your purchase. I paid 1390 with 1 GB that needs to be used in 60 days. Your purchase and setup is similar in price to mine, if you happen to check back here can you report how it is all going, cheers.

I'm near Soi Lengkee/3 road junction. I have both AIS and True H air cards and have tried different plans on both. Apart from an occasional burst both are quite slow, less than 100kb/sec which is pathetic.

I now use a WiFi connection and regularly get speeds of 4000kb/sec (~400kB/s)when downloading a torrent.

• 6 months later...

Still pretty much the same.

Depends a lot of the area you are in.

Expect nothing to change until the 3 main providers move over to 2100 MHz. Expected to happen in the next few months.

Should result in better speeds, lower prices (15% cheaper was one of the conditions of getting their new licenses) and no more worries of what device/phone will work with which provider...

I live in Bang Saen and I'm using the AIS "3G", UMTS, HSDPA, H+ or whatever great qualification it is given.

During peaktimes, the speed goes down to a whopping 6kbps download speed.

Sometimes, the speed will reach 3Mb download...........stunning.

Thailand is far from 3G although AIS is pretending to have their 3G network up-and-running in March 2013.