Teaching Entry Rules To Be Eased

Good news!

June 26 2012

"Graduates with non-education degrees will find it easier to get teaching jobs, under a proposal before the government.

Education Minister Suchart Thada-Thamrongvech has instructed the Office of the Education Council (OEC) to look at amending the 2003 Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act to make it easier for graduates to find work in the profession and help overcome a teacher shortage..."

Sorry. The Teacher's Council has proven to be a thorn in the side of many people, trying to get a Teacher's License or a Waiver. This has caused problems for a lot of people in getting the extension of stay etc..

I've experienced that directors of schools who know 'somebody' working at TCT could get a waiver for foreign employees very easy, even without a degree.

It's all up to the right connections......wai.gif

Thanks. I will believe it when I see it, especially as it relates to foreign teachers. There is that nasty TCT to deal with.

It's the TCT that wrote the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act 2003. I think the article applies to Thai teachers but any amendment for them will most probably also apply to foreign teachers on the long term.

From what the OP said, you still need a degree, it just doesn't have to be an education degree.

Currently you don't need an education degree, but you do need the waivers, so unless they are going to change those regulations, it could be difficult.

The TCT has a lot of 'face' invested in the current teacher's license. I suspect that this new proposal will either be dropped entirely or will disappear into a committee, never to be seen again.

If this does go through, the TCT will basically become superfluous.

The TCT has a lot of 'face' invested in the current teacher's license. I suspect that this new proposal will either be dropped entirely or will disappear into a committee, never to be seen again.

If this does go through, the TCT will basically become superfluous.

I don't think so.

The proposal is to allow (Thai) holders of a degree in mathematics, biology. physics, chemistry and the likes to enter the teaching profession without doing the Grad. Dip. T.P. or the Professional Knowledge Tests. The teacher license stands as is. The amendment is about what is currently stated in Section 44, point a 2.

Section 44

Applicants for Licenses to practice a licensed Profession shall possess the qualifications and have no prohibited characteristics as follows:

(a) Qualifications

(1) Having an age of fully twenty years or older;

(2) Having an education degree or equivalent or other educational qualification accredited by the Teachers Council of Thailand;

Edited by aidenai