New To Android And Disappointed

Mike45

Living outside the USA never caused me a problem downloading Apple Apps. Now that I am the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S3 some of the apps I need are not available to me. So far my Mint.com and Fidelity Investments Apps.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Mike

Maybe disable mobile data and enable WiFi on your SGS3, just to avoid using any 3G quota.

On a PC go to play.google.com

Search for Fidelity and/or Mint

Click Install

Choose the appropriate device.

Oops, "This item cannot be installed in your device's country".

That blows.

OK.

You will have to spoof the Play Store or download the apk file(s) and sideload them.

http://androiddev.or...y.android_v1.31

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1348050

Not sure why these are unavailable here? In any event you could contact the publishers directly and request alternative solutions.These apps. may or may not be usable here, it really depends on the associated security features, cookies, MAC addresses, etc.

Edited by lomatopo

The publishers have chosen, for whatever reason, not to make these programs available in Thailand. Nothing to do with Android.

That said, you can easily spoof your location and get it to install.

My phone is not rooted. I would prefer not to root it. Does it have to be rooted to "spoof" or "sideload"?

thanks

No, and No.

Just use your phone to download the apks then install them.

By spoofing I meant using a VPN such that it looks like your phone, connected via Wifi, has a US-IP address.

My phone is not rooted. I would prefer not to root it. Does it have to be rooted to "spoof" or "sideload"?

thanks

Contact the developers directly and see if they can email you the .apk file and you can 'sideload' (install) the program without using the google play. Especially if these are 'paid' apps, the developer is more than happy to send you a separate copy of the program.

This link worked for the Fidelity APK (v 1.4)

http://www.apkdb.com...apk-130509.html

I used the bar code (QR) scanner to DL directly to my phone, and it installed. I am a Fidelity customer and I could log in successfully. Handy app. Thanks.

I'm still struggling with Mint, I get an FC, maybe it does not run on 4.0?

post-9615-0-08929300-1341923752_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I'm told that if a put a USA sim in the phone I will be able to use WiFi and have permission to download all the apps I need. A friend has offered his sim. I'll give it a try and let you know.

I'm told that if a put a USA sim in the phone I will be able to use WiFi and have permission to download all the apps I need. A friend has offered his sim. I'll give it a try and let you know.

I can't see how that will help? I do not believe either a T-Mo or AT&T pre-paid SIM roams here, I know mine don't. Even if it did you'd still have a Thai IP address.

Downloading the APK is easy enough - I just haven't taken the time to find a Mint APK but it shouldn't be that challenging. Have you confirmed Mint works with Android 4.0?

Wow. I'm shocked. It does work!

I installed my pre-paid T-Mo SIM in my phone. Of course I do not have service here. (We do have international roaming in many countries but not Thailand.) And lo, and behold, from the Play Store over WiFi I was able to find, download and install both Fidelity and Mint.

Weird, but obviously very useful.

Thanks again!

Edited by lomatopo