Package Employment In Asia Other Than Esl Teaching?

Package employment in Asia other than ESL teaching?

Just out of curiosity, are there any specific types of jobs that offer "package employment" for expats in Asia?.

By "package employment" of course, I mean:

1) housing provided,

2) transportation costs

3) visa fees

and etc...

I'm obviously an English teacher in Asia but my question is this:

Is English teaching the only (or best) "package employmemt" opportunity available for expats in Asia or are there are other well kept-secrets out there?

If you have anything constructive to add, please help out.

note: I'm already trying to look into Volunteering but I'm turned off by the high fees that some of these international and/or grassroots organizations ask for. I would however, be interested in volunteering in Asia (as a teacher perhaps) if housing/meals were provided.

...Is English teaching the only (or best) "package employmemt" opportunity available for expats in Asia or are there are other well kept-secrets out there?...

I kinda had to laugh at this one. The facts are that English teachers are by far the minority Expats in Asia, even in Thailand. There are literally [hundreds] of thousands of Expats working in virtually every industry, Construction, finance, manufacturing, etc, throughout Asia. Most are on either job shop contracts that pay close to home country salary and housing and transportation allowances or on corporate packages that include overseas uplifts, housing, transportation, home leaves, etc.

TH

...Is English teaching the only (or best) "package employmemt" opportunity available for expats in Asia or are there are other well kept-secrets out there?...

I kinda had to laugh at this one. The facts are that English teachers are by far the minority Expats in Asia, even in Thailand. There are literally [hundreds] of thousands of Expats working in virtually every industry, Construction, finance, manufacturing, etc, throughout Asia. Most are on either job shop contracts that pay close to home country salary and housing and transportation allowances or on corporate packages that include overseas uplifts, housing, transportation, home leaves, etc.

TH

I don't think so Mr. Thaihome, with Thailand's very restrive labour law how can you employ foreigners unless a foreigner comes here to open up a business which means that you still have to hire only Thai people for your invested business you have not choice.

TH

I don't think so Mr. Thaihome, with Thailand's very restrive labour law how can you employ foreigners unless a foreigner comes here to open up a business which means that you still have to hire only Thai people for your invested business you have not choice.

multinational corporations, consultancies, etc have their own mostly local staff that deal with work permits and other documentation required to enable expatriate staff to work wherever, Thailand included. The expatriate employee simply hands over his passport in many cases and voila, everything that's needed magically materialises. In some places in the Gulf university transcripts have to be authenticated in the country of issue for a work permit but the expatriate employee never gets involved other than to hand over the docs.

How many foreign organizations do you think could do business over seas if they were forced to hire local people for senior positions?...very few, very few...

There are thousandss of expats legally employed, in Bangkok, only.

The paperwork is, Thai-style, a bit complicated and if one cannot read the requirements in Thai language it is more difficult.

Still it is not more complicated than in most other countries in Asia.

One point, you have to employ a certain number of Thais before you can employ a foreigner and

have to have a basic minimum capital that increases for each foreigner.

Another point, applied by virtually every country, foreigners can ony take a job if locals cannot do it. Sounds not too unfair to me, why should a country import foreign labour in the risk of making the own people jobless?

But Thailand does always grant, the visa and WP if the employee has these education, knowledg and experience that is locally not available.

Hire a foreigner and explain to the labour department, you cannot find Thais who have the knowledge in your business and at the same time can communicate with clients and the head office in another language than English. Not many Thais are fluent in Italian, French, German, Spanish a.s.o. and at the same time have job-experience, market knowledge or whatever.

In the past, I had more difficulties to work in Switzerland, where not only qualification of the applicant counted, but the companies just where not allowed to hire more foreigners, even when needed.

May I suggest you spend some time at Sun Tower or SCB Park Plaza and count how many expats you see? And that is basically just one industry.

I wonder how many other countries in Asia you have worked. Thailand is not much different then any other place.

I still say English teachers are minority in Asia.

TH

May I suggest you spend some time at Sun Tower or SCB Park Plaza and count how many expats you see? And that is basically just one industry.

I wonder how many other countries in Asia you have worked. Thailand is not much different then any other place.

TH

At the peak in 1996, there were 165 000 expats on working visa in Thailand, mostly corporate people. Now, there are over 3800 foreign companies operating in Thailand now, including world leaders (Bayer, BASF, Hitachi, Toyota, Nissan....).

IMO, English teachers are a minority.

Unless it's for a head master of an international school or similar, nobody would even think of considering an expat package for them.

>>>

IMO, English teachers are a minority.

Unless it's for a head master of an international school or similar, nobody would even think of considering an expat package for them.

Good point TTM. I always feel just to have qualifications for teaching English is not sufficient.

My son went to RIS-Swiss School in Bangkok for about 10 years. They always were looking for teachers and offered some kind of package. They required, however, qualified teachers with experience in higher education in Switzerland, Germany or Austria. For English they had one teacher with English as mother tongue and qualifications from UK, I think. For French the teacher combined lessons with teaching European history, another one maths and Latin language.

I would imagine the situation is similar to American and English schools in Thailand. With proper teaching-qualification and experience from high schools and colleges abroad, their are jobs available.

Really, You are still talking about a small number of foreigners. The foreigners that are working for does companies are either excutives or have degrees from very prestigious universities.

Go to Singapore, Brunei, Hong Kong , the Middle East, and Etc.... Thailand does not compare to them when you are talking about the number of foreigners working in the corporate sector.

TH

You are wrong. How many foreigners in Thailand do you think are teaching English? Count.