Farang Thai Boxers

Uma~~

I have loved Thailand since my first visit and I have found most people, both farangs and Thai's to be very pleasant.

I'm not the type to turn my nose up at western men in Thailand who frequent the barscene and I try to treat everyone the same, but what I don't understand, especially when visiting the islands, is why do some farang men, usually the topless posers on fake Harley Davidsons or Honda Phantoms who tend to assume that any women will sleep with them because they are good looking, why do they, after womanising and posing and treating Thailand as if it is rightly theirs in which to party, why do they then, to top it all off, feel the need to learn Muai Thai boxing and get into the ring with a man from this country and beat him up?

Is it a macho, testosterone fulled territorial thing?

Why would the type of guy who think's he's it, and we have all seen them, want to partake in a violent sport in which the opponent is indigenous to the land in which he is abusing?

I am not tarring all with the same brush and can only speak from my own experiences but I for one am rooting for Thailand and hope that the farang gets a damned good hiding.

Who's side are you on?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these guys want to have a pop , why not ? Who's to say it isn't akin to immersing oneself in an Ancient Thai Cultural Art ?

Granted there are a few that deserve the beating, but didn't we all do some crazy things in our youth?

Chon ( Ex -Nak Soo Kao)

:o

Edited by chonabot

I have loved Thailand since my first visit and I have found most people, both farangs and Thai's to be very pleasant.

I'm not the type to turn my nose up at western men in Thailand who frequent the barscene and I try to treat everyone the same, but what I don't understand, especially when visiting the islands, is why do some farang men, usually the topless posers on fake Harley Davidsons or Honda Phantoms who tend to assume that any women will sleep with them because they are good looking, why do they, after womanising and posing and treating Thailand as if it is rightly theirs in which to party, why do they then, to top it all off, feel the need to learn Muai Thai boxing and get into the ring with a man from this country and beat him up?

Why would the type of guy who think's he's it, and we have all seen them, want to partake in a violent sport in which the opponent is indigenous to the land in which he is abusing?

I am not tarring all with the same brush and can only speak from my own experiences but I for one am rooting for Thailand and hope that the farang gets a damned good hiding.

Who's side are you on?

ALL good looking young farang men who come Thailand deserve to be beaten to a pulp, and our hosts are just the ones to do it! :o

Who's side are you on?

Thanks for further reinforcing the opinion i have of farang women! :o

Who's side are you on?

I've lived in LOS for around 5 years, I've never met any wannabe boxers.

Maybe you are just going for the wrong type of men... :o

the topless posers on fake Harley Davidsons or Honda Phantoms who tend to assume that any women will sleep with them because they are good looking, why do they, after womanising and posing and treating Thailand as if it is rightly theirs in which to party, why do they then, to top it all off, feel the need to learn Muai Thai boxing and get into the ring with a man from this country and beat him up?

So Uma, do you prefer the more mature, seasoned male, one who perhaps prefers a few beers and a game of golf than a bout in the ring? :o

There was a white English guy who did a demonstration of Thai boxing at the Thai festival in Wimbledon last year. He seemed to know his stuff and to my untrained eye seemed to have put a lot of effort into his training.

He finished the 'show' with some statement about having been born Thai in a previous life.

This left me confused, was he a reasonble Thai boxer or a fabulously funny comedian?

Edited by GuestHouse

I don't think that the couple of guys that take the sport seriously go around posing on the beach or drive fake harley's.

The guys you refer to are more likely to be found in the beer bars where they've put up a boxing ring and the public can challenge the thai boxer.

It's there that you find your average lager lout on stage more often than not getting the shit kicked out of by thais half his size. :o

Who's side are you on?

In my 30 years (on and off) in Thailand I've met some of those. One that comes to mind was a British guy I met in Bangkok who had "done a bit of kick-fighting in the U.K. and wanted to train with real Thai boxers"

He lasted about a week. Problem was that he expected to do an hour or maybe two of training a day, and spend the rest of the time at a bar. When he learned that real Muay Thai boxing required living at the training camp, rising at 5 A.M. every day, 4 to 5 hours of physical conditioning every day, then another 4 to 5 hours of training in the afternoon, 2 meals a day of rice and veggies, and so on; that was the end of his desire to train with the boxers.

:D

I spent a few weeks in a MT camp ( over 15 years back though ) and there a dozens of British. European, Usa, Ozzie fighters that have come over and done really well. Ramon Dekkers is probably the most famous. For each of these though there is a hundred wannabee Nak Soo Kao's.

They help to supprt the training camps , bu paying a month up front and leaving after 2 days , let them continue!

Thai boxing is not restricted to men alone. There are plenty of women who take up the sport.

Uma, perhaps if you grab a copy of the DVD "Million Dollar Baby" starring Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank, you may get the urge to pull on the gloves and compete against some of the petite Thai ladies.

That will give us men an opportunity to cheer or jeer you in the square ring. :o

For people who learn Thai boxing coming to fight in Thailand against Thai opponents is a dream, like going to play football at Wembley or something like that.

Don't be so bitter

I would like to add also that its not just "farang" who come here to box. You get Iranians & Pakistani's amongst a host of others. It's the highest level to compete.

Many farang guys at these bars like to challenge local Thais after having had a few too many beers. Often, they end up getting hurt pretty bad. Muay Thai is a sport like any other and lots of farangs come here to compete. Recently, a lady from the UK did a traditional bare knuckle match and won. There are always those guys who try to act macho and show off but then for every one of those there are hundreds of others who have a genuine desire to compete in Muay Thai and this is the best place to do it.

Edited by Thaiboxer

i remember being in a bar one night with a farang guy that i worked with here....he had only been here about a week and was going on all the time about how he was a good fighter and wanted to get in the ring with a thai boxer(he was a wresler from the us...hahaha)....we told him he was being stupid as he had no chance of lasting even 5min!but he dissagreed so we brought him to walking street and put him in the ring of those show fights he got beeten to bits and was in pain for quite a few weeks after....we thaught it was the funnyest thing and no less than he deserved!(i would hate to see what would have happened were he in a real fight) :o

on another note there are a lot of farangs who really are serious about this sport and i have seen it at a few of the real fights....these guys really put a lot of effort into what they!if they were not serious about it they would no way have gotten as far as they have!

Mauy Thai is a sport. If someone goes to Thailand to learn it, what is wrong with them righting Thais? I don't get your point there. No one is allowed to fight indigenous people in a sport? What about Thais going to to compete elswhere, and if their opponent is indigenous -- should the Thai forfeight the fight? What happens?

However I do see what you are saying about show-pony ponces who think they are legends because they are kick-boxers but you get those clowns everywhere.

El Tel & Thaiwripter, thanks for reinforcing my opinion of farang men who have to insult women. There was nothing in Uma's posts for you both to get bitchy about, she was making an observation & a lot of the guys agreed with her. Posers who come here to not learn the real martial art but try to show off & then to proove something to the local populace are pathetic. Why do they they need to boast & brag? Why not be comfortable with their own abilities? Or learn the art properly & have a fair fight on equal terms with someone who has also trained properly? Maybe it is the same reason some farang men have to put down farang women & thai men? Would you have made the same nasty pointless posts if a man had started the topic? Hard to say but I doubt it.

*sigh*

If he gets banned for that then it's a sad state of affairs.

If you can't have an argument without resorting to using mod/admin-powers then you shouldn't be mod/admin at all. I really hope that isn't what you implaying by your 'bye bye'.

And as a final note: I have no clue what the OP is going on about. If they want to fight and get their behinds handed to them, why not let them?

Edited by TAWP

*sigh*

If you can't have an argument without resorting to using mod/admin-powers then you shouldn't be mod/admin at all. I really hope that isn't what you implaying by your 'bye bye'.

And as a final note: I have no clue what the OP is going on about. If they want to fight and get their behinds handed to them, why not let them?

Thought this thread was about foreigners learning Muy Thai , muy thai is now recognised world wide and there are well established clubs in many different countries ,here in australia there are many well established reputable muy thai and kickboxing clubs, and I know of a couple of manchester lads who trained with thailands best that was back in the late 70,s. Of course you get posers in the bars who get thrashed by local fighters, but a large percentage of the foreigners who come to thailand to be taught muy thai , persevere and achieve their goals, Nignoy

I for one am rooting for Thailand and hope that the farang gets a damned good hiding.
Got a Thai 'boyfriend', have we? :o
Thanks for further reinforcing the opinion i have of farang women! :D
Seconded!

I've seen many of these western woman on the islands, chasing after the local Bob Marley types. :D

No I don't have a Thai boyfriend, neither am I a millitant feminist or a lesbian before you start inevitably jumping to those conclusions.

I just don't like poseurs, idiots, tossers, or muppets (which I can see from your avatar that you proudly are) and I fail to understand why such people relentlessly show off and contribute to a growing negative image of the young western male.

I would have more to add but Boo has put it perfectly and I thank her for saving me the bother.

I just don't like poseurs, idiots, tossers, or muppets (which I can see from your avatar that you proudly are) and I fail to understand why such people relentlessly show off and contribute to a growing negative image of the young western male.

At the end of the day it provides cringeworthy entertainment , I suppose the female equivalent of this would be the tourist ladies that get up and dance around the poles in Go-go bars.

It's all good and no one gets killed ( usually )

Chon

At the end of the day it provides cringeworthy entertainment

That's one way of putting it. :o

I suppose the female equivalent of this would be the tourist ladies that get up and dance around the poles in Go-go bars.

It's all good and no one gets killed ( usually )

Chon

Ahh, but that's just for fun, not to prove a point or to challenge the Thai girls although you would not find me doing it as I probably would get beaten up.

*sigh*

Really? You think he is being reasonable?

As for farangs boxing, I don't see why not. Provided, of course, they are properly trained. There are quite a few gyms that are doing so these days. My husband used to box professionally and he has nothing but respect for those people who are willing to devote themselves to not only learn the art but get in the ring and get themselves pounded silly.

In fact, one of the best Muay Thai boxers he knows is a farang female who helped start the Ladies Muay Thai Association in Thailand.

I'm a little confused UMA... are you saying that if there is a Thai fighting a farang and you have no previous knowledge of either fighter, you cheer for the Thai? Or do you inquire with the farang before the fight whether he is a poseur or not? Or are you just assuming he is? Just curious...

How hard is it to understand? The OP merely mentioned that she hates "the poseurs, idiots, tossers, or muppets". She do not have problems with the actual trained fighter but with the pretenders.

Good grief people, read the topic and understand it before you jumped on her

Although, I don't think El Tel should have been booted (IMO). SoRrOy BoO :o

This is what I was confused about... the contrast between "I'm not tarring all with the same brush..." and "I for one am rooting for Thailand and hope that the farang gets a damned good hiding". Is UMA cheering against skin colour or poseurness, I guess would be a more succinct way of stating it. The secondary portion of my inquiry was to whether or not she checked to see if they were poseurs first, and if so... how?

I would also hope she realizes, as many have already pointed out, that for one, the Thai's are pretty good at holding their own in "Thai Boxing" and secondly, there are plenty of serious athletes who want to compete in the most competitive venue in the world. Dead horse, I know... I just don't like prejudices in general... and if OP is not being prejudice, my bad.