Which Mifi Device And Which 3G Carrier?

tangcoral

I am planning to buy a mifi device tomorrow and want to hear from you guys first.

I was suggested to go with a iFox MiFi-585 3.5G, and either dtac or ais. Good brand? or pay more?

Are there any other brands to look for, my budget is 3-4k baht. Would paying more be better?

Not sure what 3.5G is but anyways, I plan on connect 2 sometimes 3 devices to the mifi. My devices are 2 ipads and 1 laptop, mainly on road trips to hua hin and ayyuthaya

Also what is a reliable carrier for prepaid?

Assuming you want to use 3G, high speed mobile broadband services here, you should first identify the service provider you wish to use, based on coverage, price, etc., and then purchase a device which will work with that service provider.

The iFox MiFi-585 appears to support 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G so would work with TrueMove H, DTAC/Happy or TOT/MVNOs. It would not work on AIS/One-2-Call's 900 MHz 3G network.

http://www.totalaircard.com/products/iFox-MiFi-585-Portable-Mobile-WiFi.html

http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/3G-Router/3G-Mobile-MiFi/

better use a wifi router. e.g. tp-link 3420 (has a usb port for the 3g stick of your choice) there more reliable than MiFI's.

Which air card do you use in the router of this type for a dtac sim (this is what I have wanted for some time) - I use an old laptop and dtac aircard then share the connection to a switch to make a LAN (works great) but would like to free up the old laptop again.

The dtac aircard has an sr0 built in and loads when plugged in - it has made using it in other then a windows box a pain in the A (did not know this when I got it) and it must be removed to shut down the system and does not auto re start and connect.. Major pain.

Will this dtac card work in a router after a normal setup first time or have they screwed that up too.

The dtac I have is a ZTE MF-190 that should work in any windows, Mac or linux but the firmware they installed has messed up everything. Do they do that to all air cards here?

The TP Link 3420 goes for round 2500 thb in bangkok, it has the advantage that you can use it on all bands depending on your dongle ( aircard) I went for a 21 MB huawei E386 adapter (dtac), you can attach a yagi or omni antenna to this card, if you have problems with signal strength. 21 mb is imho okay , because i haven't found the spot where up ot 41 mb is supplied laugh.pnglaugh.png

better use a wifi router. e.g. tp-link 3420 (has a usb port for the 3g stick of your choice) there more reliable than MiFI's.

Which air card do you use in the router of this type for a dtac sim (this is what I have wanted for some time) - I use an old laptop and dtac aircard then share the connection to a switch to make a LAN (works great) but would like to free up the old laptop again.

The dtac aircard has an sr0 built in and loads when plugged in - it has made using it in other then a windows box a pain in the A (did not know this when I got it) and it must be removed to shut down the system and does not auto re start and connect.. Major pain.

Will this dtac card work in a router after a normal setup first time or have they screwed that up too.

The dtac I have is a ZTE MF-190 that should work in any windows, Mac or linux but the firmware they installed has messed up everything. Do they do that to all air cards here?

I assume this is no buffer issue on sr0 - there are two ways to get rid of the issue :1) prevent the kernel from using sr0 2) use an alternative firmware (actually designed to unlock these sticks) these firmware builds come without sr0 (virtual cd drives for the rest of you out there)

i'll guess it's easy peasy to prevent your *nix ( what brew do you use?) os from using sr0. This is better than using a likely dodgy firmware build.

A completely diffrent approach would be to look for a dongle from a 3.rd party supplier with win7 certification. They don't need to put sr0 on them because the drivers comming out of the windows driver pack .....

Edited by JakeBKK

I assume this is no buffer issue on sr0 - there are two ways to get rid of the issue :1) prevent the kernel from using sr0 2) use an alternative firmware (actually designed to unlock these sticks) these firmware builds come without sr0 (virtual cd drives for the rest of you out there)

i'll guess it's easy peasy to prevent your *nix ( what brew do you use?) os from using sr0. This is better than using a likely dodgy firmware build.

A completely diffrent approach would be to look for a dongle from a 3.rd party supplier with win7 certification. They don't need to put sr0 on them because the drivers comming out of the windows driver pack .....

I have made it work using PClinuxOS and using info from a ubuntu posting by suppressing the sr0 and a usb mode switch hack and the like but it is subjuct to unwrape itself after any update and sort of messy - PClinuxOS being a rolling distro makes that a problem. Anyway a router is a router so I am thinking I should just have one that works. I would change dongles to get a working router with wireless for my LAN -

I see what I need to look for then - thanks.

if you prefer linux , there is an openwrt (alpha) comming. the 3420 has a mips 400 mhz with 32 mb ram 4mb rom .. and you can fit a sd card into it, via rs232 you can attach sensors. as well as other toys if you use a usb hub. imho better than an wrt54gl smile.png

Edited by JakeBKK

Hi JakeBKK - Thats a really interesting way of getting a stable MIFI - However is the set up difficult - or as simple as...

Plug the power to the wifi router,

Inert the aircard to the wifi router

Look for the signal on laptop -

Select 3G connection -

......Browse?

Hi JakeBKK - Thats a really interesting way of getting a stable MIFI - However is the set up difficult - or as simple as...

Plug the power to the wifi router,

Inert the aircard to the wifi router

Look for the signal on laptop -

Select 3G connection -

......Browse?

Yes it is. You tell the router once if it should use only 3G or automatically back up your adsl connection. That's it.