Buying Local Grass-Fed Beef

Cheesekraft

I hear some of the local beef sold at markets is grass fed, but they are not marked as such and I have no way of telling. The difference is so huge that if necessary I would buy an entire cow. How would one go about finding a confirmed source of grass fed beef?

i dont think it matters what they feed the beef on its the way its slaughtered and aged or lack of ageing that's the problem, hence the tyre like quality of thai beef

i have a source of good aged thai beef pm me if interested

Edited by dazk

it matters significantly in terms of how healthy the animal is and how healthy you will be after eating the meat. Standard meats are from unhealthy animals who are fed antibiotics and diets which make them sick and fat, which significantly effects US when we eat them. (lower omega 3s, higher omega 6, lose the CLA, higher calories)

Shocking how hard it is to find good stuff here sometimes.

Beef is just too hit and miss for me to bother about (Samui). Taste wise I have found it very similar all over Thailand and indeed SE Asia. The main variation I have found is toughness, CM seems to have, or had, the best in this regard. If I fancy some red meat which is not often I go for goat.

Having said that, I have over the years had the odd piece of local beef which has been very good so there is, or was, some around.

I live down south and this is definite beef country. As dazk suggested, it's not aged properly. I buy beef/veal at 180 Baht a kilo and I know it's grass fed and about as natural as you can get. I see the cows and buffaloes out in the fields as I drive around. No sheds or antibiotics as I've asked the woman in the market about this.

I believe most western countries feed out cattle for the last 100 days or so before slaughter time with a certain designated mixture of feeds. This makes taste consistant and quality the same as long as good butcher practices are used.

I believe most western countries feed out cattle for the last 100 days or so before slaughter time with a certain designated mixture of feeds. This makes taste consistant and quality the same as long as good butcher practices are used.

That's true, and I believe that's a common practice here as well, especially in the mass-production scale where 90% of your beef comes from. It also plays a big role in western countries on what they beef can be designated as, ie. what stickers you can put on it in the supermarket.

Local farmers market sellers who've been selling beef for anything longer than a short time would know the economic advantages of a feedlot (this is not hi-tech stuff at any rate) and would employ a scaled-down version of pretty much Hansel-and-Greteling your cows to get the most bang for the buck.

I live down south and this is definite beef country. As dazk suggested, it's not aged properly. I buy beef/veal at 180 Baht a kilo and I know it's grass fed and about as natural as you can get. I see the cows and buffaloes out in the fields as I drive around. No sheds or antibiotics as I've asked the woman in the market about this.

Are they grain finished? If they eat only grass and are antibiotic free I would love to get my hands on some.

• 7 months later...

Sorry, dunno (but definitely would like to). And, your question makes me wonder:

What the heck do they normally feed Thai cows to make them come out tasting like beef-flavored retreads?

cool.png

Here in Amnat Charoen province many farmers rely on rice straw as the primary feed. Total nutritional value "0"! The cattle remind me of bags of bones.

If you are in Bangkok you could go have a walk around Or Tor Kor market, which is a sort of upscale, premium, organic market. I've been a few times but didn't really look for beef. The Khampaeng Phet MRT (subway) station has an exit right up to this market, it is clearly signed. Sam Yan market (Sam Yan MRT, a short walk up Phaya Thai from Rama 4) has some decent stuff as well - also a good food court on the second floor.

Maybe have a Thai person dredge the Thai food blogs and forums - of which there are heaps - for you?

I know a lot of people bemoan the state of Thai beef but I get decent rib-eyes at Foodland - obviously not like at home - and also mix ground sirloin and ground chuck 50/50 for decent burgers (flat-topped, then steamed).

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

i have always bought from tops it was always marked pen-fed,rib eye and sirloin as we have no tops near us its get what we can.

this week the wf.bought some sirlion that looks good but does it taste good we will see,it was produced by prakob beef.sold at makro.

Thai beef is what it is, Thai beef! Raised by Thais for consumption by Thais. The method , tenderness and flavor is acceptable to be used in Thai recipes. They don't raise beef to please the farang pallet in large quantities. I buy Thai boneless sirloin from a local vendor, a 2 kilo piece, and season it and cook it rare for sandwiches and hash and also sirloin that I use for steak tartare and hamburgers, but rarely use it for steak. Sometimes I get a piece that is well marbled and cut some steaks but not often. I've bought some of the frozen steaks at Mackro, but didn't really enjoy it, either Thai or Australian beef. I'm spoiled, grew up on USDA choice and prime beef.

Thai beef is what it is, Thai beef! Raised by Thais for consumption by Thais. The method , tenderness and flavor is acceptable to be used in Thai recipes. They don't raise beef to please the farang pallet in large quantities. I buy Thai boneless sirloin from a local vendor, a 2 kilo piece, and season it and cook it rare for sandwiches and hash and also sirloin that I use for steak tartare and hamburgers, but rarely use it for steak. Sometimes I get a piece that is well marbled and cut some steaks but not often. I've bought some of the frozen steaks at Mackro, but didn't really enjoy it, either Thai or Australian beef. I'm spoiled, grew up on USDA choice and prime beef.

yer i know what you mean,in wales we have the hereford blacks,but i can put up with thai steak wrap it for an hour in papaya leaves.

we have got a good supplier in the main market for fillet but only problem no fat,but for burgers and cottage pies i add some pork fat.dog loves it and i like it for sandwiches.

yer i know what you mean,in wales we have the hereford blacks,but i can put up with thai steak wrap it for an hour in papaya leaves.

we have got a good supplier in the main market for fillet but only problem no fat,but for burgers and cottage pies i add some pork fat.dog loves it and i like it for sandwiches.

If you have a full size standard oven it's easy to make some acceptable rare roast beef for sandwiches and hash. Get about 1.5 kilos of boneless sirloin in one piece. Turn the oven to max and make sure that it is preheated. Season the sirloin with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder, do not trim it. Put it on a rack, fat side up, in a pan and put in in the oven, 16 minutes/kilo. At the end, turn off the oven but do not open it for 2.5 hours. Take out the meat, and trim it. It will be perfect rare roast beef all the way through. For sandwiches slice it as thin as possible (shave) across the grain. Cut up some of the trimmings and some beef for hash. If you happen to hit a tender piece you can cut off a slab and heat it quickly in a very hot skillet. Don't think it will work on a counter top oven as the heat will dissipate too quickly.

Tops have Ozz and USDA, but you need to be quick, the Poor Thais buy it up before i get there. 3 Times now Ive missed out.

No tops where I live. Closest Makro, Big C or Tesco is 100+ kilometers. Bought some OZ beef in Makro once. It was so tough that I think that it had walked from Perth to Sydney to be slaughtered.