Can You Translate This Chiang Mai Slang?

ForumUsername

I hear this word about 15 times per day through various friends, but even people fluent in both languages seem to give me very different translations. I've been told it is only spoken in Chiang Mai, but hopefully someone can help me work it out.

I've been told it means flirt...don't care...and so on

สลิด

Yes, I guess it can mean ดัดจริต too.

There's some debate about it here: http://guru.google.co.th/guru/thread?tid=503749d74c0b6b30

Most posters say it means แรด, but quite a few mention ดัดจริต (affected, phony) as well. The third post on the page says แรด is too strong--สลิด is apparently softer, and cuter-sounding. Though the last post says "อีสลิด" is just a strong as แรด.

As for the girl who used it to mean something like "whatever", perhaps she was just using it as an interjection, the way we might say "dam_n" in English, without actually intending to dam_n anybody to anywhere.

As I understand it, it is used in reply to someone who is being rather full of themselves/over the top/basically talking sh*t/etc...

e.g.

A: สอบ IELTS เป็นไงบ้างล่ะ

B: ง่ายมากเลยอ่ะ เป็นคนฉลาดเกินไป และก็พูดภาษาอังกฤษเหมือนชาวอังกฤษจริงๆ

A: สลิด !!

สลิด is a Lanna word hence the use in Chiang Mai

Full of them self or over the top would be accurate.

Just think of a lady talking like a flamboyant lady boy

over acting, overly animated in speech & gestures

By coincidence I was watching an IScream (posted in the favorite TV show thread) when around time mark 5m:10s

2 guys point to the other guy and say สลิด ! So unless these guys are from Chiang Mai maybe it's working it's way south.

Most posters say it means แรด' date=' but quite a few mention ดัดจริต (affected, phony) as well. The third post on the page says แรด is too strong--สลิด is apparently softer, and cuter-sounding. Though the last post says "อีสลิด" is just a strong as แรด.[/quote']

I think that sentence captures the meaning as I've noticed it, quite well. Not as strong as แรด, unless you add the prefix อี (which makes any word put after it sound crude/rude). All examples I've heard in C.M. during the past 9 years end up between ดัดจริต and (a less harsh version of) แรด.

A small child who is acting in an affected way can get labelled สลิด by the adults, but I've never heard แรด used in that way.