Unfair Parking Ticket

CMweb

OP, I got unlucky a few years back for the same thing. Some other bikes got unlucky too. Of course the police arent going to chain up EVERY single bike. Its not unfair, its just the luck of the draw. I was in the wrong, so were you...and luckily we are in a country where the fine is not too painful.

I'm not saying the ticket was wrong, I just did not know you can't park there if there are the lines and no no perking sign. All I say it is wrong to be able to park on all places on Sunday and not also fine this people, a Sunday market still don't change the street rules (law) thought.

The red-white lines are the no parking sign.

Except on Sunday.

They keep it confusing so as to make money. Had there been a clear indication that it was a no parking zone, the OP would not have parked there. Name one other country where red and white lines are the standard no parking zone indication.

They should use something like the letter "P" with a diagonal line drawn through it. But then they wouldn't get as much revenue from unsuspecting motorcycle riders.

In all honesty if we are here long term, we should learn the rules and signs of the road....otherwise we probably shouldnt be driving! However, i do agree, particularly as many drive scooters/rental cars on a holiday here with their home license, that signs should be clearly marked in English.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the red line pohotos you guys post I would understand, but red/white color on the site "wall" I thought this is just to see the step better, not clear for me this is a not parking area.

the red line pohotos you guys post I would understand, but red/white color on the site "wall" I thought this is just to see the step better, not clear for me this is a not parking area.

Marvellous! "Mind the step." I like this interpretation, though a bit far off.

Now you know what it really means. How about the yellow-white lines? Do you know what they mean here?

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

If you don't know the rules go and learn them.

They have a video in English you can watch at the DLT on Hang Dong Road.

Most have faded so much, it's difficult to know if they have any colour!

Of course this is how the BIB like it, if they wanted you to see the step they would use luminous paint.

Edited by uptheos

Name a country where a double yellow line means no parking.

Don't know of any. But in Canada and the U S it means no passing.

No passing: what in the sense do not drive on the footpath?

The point is signs can be arbitrary and one should familiarise oneself if not sure.

So sorry I should have realized I would need a picture of what a double yellow line looks like in North America.

How silly of me.

No passing: what in the sense do not drive on the footpath?

The point is signs can be arbitrary and one should familiarise oneself if not sure.

So sorry I should have realized I would need a picture of what a double yellow line looks like in North America.

How silly of me.

In North America? It's in the UK.

More information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-yellow_line

You are welcome.

Edited by Morakot

I think we better spell it out for this unfairly treated scooter rider....

Red and White................No parking any time (unless you are Thai)

Yellow and White............See Lors and Songtaews only

Black and White...............Parking

No colours........................Parking

Edited by Maejo Man
  • Like 1

OP, I got unlucky a few years back for the same thing. Some other bikes got unlucky too. Of course the police arent going to chain up EVERY single bike. Its not unfair, its just the luck of the draw. I was in the wrong, so were you...and luckily we are in a country where the fine is not too painful.

I'm not saying the ticket was wrong, I just did not know you can't park there if there are the lines and no no perking sign. All I say it is wrong to be able to park on all places on Sunday and not also fine this people, a Sunday market still don't change the street rules (law) thought.

Except on Sunday.

They keep it confusing so as to make money. Had there been a clear indication that it was a no parking zone, the OP would not have parked there. Name one other country where red and white lines are the standard no parking zone indication.

They should use something like the letter "P" with a diagonal line drawn through it. But then they wouldn't get as much revenue from unsuspecting motorcycle riders.

In all honesty if we are here long term, we should learn the rules and signs of the road....otherwise we probably shouldnt be driving! However, i do agree, particularly as many drive scooters/rental cars on a holiday here with their home license, that signs should be clearly marked in English.

What if they come from France?

You made a valid point about learning the laws for driving in a foreign country.

Even if you are only there for two days. How long does it take to have a fatal accident.

What if the Thai can not read English.

How silly of me.

In North America? It's in the UK.

More information here:

https://en.wikipedia...ble-yellow_line

You are welcome.

Not the ones I was talking about. reread my post

Parking rules and fines are usually found on curbside parking signs. Unfortunately, outside of tourist-frequented areas, the information on these signs is usually posted in the Thai language. Curbside or lot signs with a one red diagonal in a blue circle indicate “no parking,” and signs with a red X in a blue circle indicate “no stopping/no parking.”

Painted curbsides also indicate parking regulations. Red and white paint means “no parking;” yellow and white markings mean short-term parking or a bus stop; a white rectangle painted on the road indicates a “parking” zone; and multiple diagonal white lines means parking for motorbikes only.

Laws in Thailand

• Like 1

Except on Sunday.

What if they come from France?

You made a valid point about learning the laws for driving in a foreign country.

Even if you are only there for two days. How long does it take to have a fatal accident.

What if the Thai can not read English.

That's why there will be "No parking" signs in Thai introduced across North America. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Name one other country where red and white lines are the standard no parking zone indication.

Um, in America we have them. So, whenever I see a red and white striped curb, I don't park there. I believe it means no parking. Is it "standard?" No, as I think they are usually just red. But I have seen them. But am I assuming too much to think most farang understand that the colors red and white painted on a curb probably mean something that I shouldn't do? My guess? Not park.

• Like 2

Except on Sunday.

So in a foreign land with a foreign language and a real foreign form of letters you want the to put a English p with a line through it. Why not a Thai letter with a line through it.

Duh. Because a P with a line through it is the international symbol. Get it? There are people in CM from all over the world. That means they are from countries other than Thailand. The area in question is where a lot of foreigners hang out. Foreigners are people from outside of Thailand. That means they come here from other countries.

Edited by mesquite

Name one other country where red and white lines are the standard no parking zone indication.

Um, in America we have them. So, whenever I see a red and white striped curb, I don't park there. I believe it means no parking. Is it "standard?" No, as I think they are usually just red. But I have seen them. But am I assuming too much to think most farang understand that the colors red and white painted on a curb probably mean something that I shouldn't do? My guess? Not park.

Yes something one should not do. The OP assumed s/he shouldn't trip over it. "Mind the step!"

Duh. Because a P with a line through it is the international symbol. Get it?

Since when is a P with a crossed line an international symbol?

post-155923-0-40093400-1343213078_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Parking rules and fines are usually found on curbside parking signs. Unfortunately, outside of tourist-frequented areas, the information on these signs is usually posted in the Thai language. Curbside or lot signs with a one red diagonal in a blue circle indicate “no parking,” and signs with a red X in a blue circle indicate “no stopping/no parking.”

Painted curbsides also indicate parking regulations. Red and white paint means “no parking;” yellow and white markings mean short-term parking or a bus stop; a white rectangle painted on the road indicates a “parking” zone; and multiple diagonal white lines means parking for motorbikes only.

Laws in Thailand

So red and white paint does not mean, "No parking, except for Sunday"?

Laws in Thailand

So red and white paint does not mean, "No parking, except for Sunday"?

It means no parking except when the BIB overide the rule.

re ..

Last week I stop with my scooter in front of Starbucks Coffee on Tape Gate, there was a lot of bikes staying so I park in line next to the last one. After I come back, all bikes are gone, just mine stays there with a chain around the bike and a 400 THB ticket. I did not know the red/white lines on the street border are meaning no parking zone.

here was the ops problem : (

under the starbucks letters ... red white ... no parking !

under the coffee letters ........ no markings ... parking ok

if he had parked a little to the right he wouldnt have got a ticket

the row of bikes in sunday walking street ... red white .. all chained

the car outside starbucks ... red white both sides .. clamped

the 5 bikes in warrarot market .. no red white or signs that i could see

all chained but i couldnt figure out why

dave2

post-42592-0-66458700-1343220941_thumb.j

post-42592-0-00079400-1343221116_thumb.j

post-42592-0-80245500-1343221169_thumb.j

post-42592-0-48785700-1343221222_thumb.j

Laws in Thailand

Thank you for this link. I ventured further and these two useful links re signs in Thailand. Maybe a little off topic but useful

http://driving.information.in.th/regulatory-signs.html

http://driving.information.in.th/warning-signs.html

I did not know the red/white lines on the street border are meaning no parking zone.

What, you didn't learn that when you got your official motorbike license to drive legally?

Guess we're all just lucky!

Edited by Lifer

I sent an email to Starbuck's a few years ago suggesting that they put up a warning sign regarding the rules of parking there for the benefit of their customers.

Never heard back from them......

Edited by ricklev

I did not know the red/white lines on the street border are meaning no parking zone.

What, you didn't learn that when you got your official motorbike license to drive legally?

I have any driving license you can own on land, I know the rules but this one is clear new for me.

Edited by CMweb

I have any driving license you can own on land, I know the rules but this one is clear new for me.

I'm impressed! Do you e.g. hold a Swedish license for driving a heavy truck with a heavy trailer? Can you tell me the sign that should be attached to the rear of such a heavy trailer? Do you know the sign that should be attached to the rear of any vehicle with four or more wheels that is not capable of a speed in excess of 30 km/h?

My point is that there is no global standard for traffic regulations. If you require all regulations to be identical to your home country, you'll need to stay there.

/ Priceless

Laws in Thailand

Just bringing this post up again for those who didn't read it the first time.

This is Thailand, not Britain. The common and official language spoken is Thai. Many traffic signs are in English, but not all, and most traffic signals and signs are consistent with international standards. Conversely, how many traffic instructions in Thai are posted in London?

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

Laws in Thailand

Just bringing this post up again for those who didn't read it the first time.

This is Thailand, not Britain. The common and official language spoken is Thai. Many traffic signs are in English, but not all, and most traffic signals and signs are consistent with international standards. Conversely, how many traffic instructions in Thai are posted in London?

Which of the two languages is considered the international standard, Thai or English? When a pilot from Germany approaches an airport in Thailand and speaks to air traffic control, what language does he use, German or Thai? Ans. English.