Street Food In Bangkok

radster2212

Really, if you have to ask what to try, you probably should get a Thai friend to accompany you and introduce you to the real thing. Most farangs only know chicken rice, pad Thai, fried rice, etc. It's no reflection on them, but the Thai people know best. Have your friend write down (in Thai) the things you like, and/or try to remember how they are pronounced.

If you don't speak any Thai at all, you can always point, but half the brilliance of Thai food is in how it's eaten - what spices to add, sauces to dip, etc. Watch those around you.

Have fun.

If you don't speak any Thai at all, you can always point, but half the brilliance of Thai food is in how it's eaten - what spices to add, sauces to dip, etc. Watch those around you.

Have fun.

LOL thais aren't gourmet, they add anything they see available to their dishes making them too salty, sweet or spicy.

Only listen to what your brains tell you to add AFTER you tried the dish.

Have fun.

LOL thais aren't gourmet, they add anything they see available to their dishes making them too salty, sweet or spicy.

Only listen to what your brains tell you to add AFTER you tried the dish.

twunt

You should go to the food hall in Terminal 21 (the big shopping mall next to Asoke BTS).

They have all the street food but cooked and served in a more hygienic and pleasant environment.

They also have photos of the dishes so you can just point at the one you want.

It is ridiculously cheap too.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

hi radster,,, i have good experience eating at busy places, especially there where the (Thai) people join. I live near BangKapi... try near RamkhamhaengUniversity.... busy, but great food at very affordable prices.... i am happy to go there several times a week... almost never go restaurant (with my Thai wife), but live on streetfood and selfbought/cooked stuff.... good luck, enjoy Thailand! Frank

• Like 1

There are a gazillion blogs, websites, reviews available. There are some great in situ prep. videos on You Tube.

Pre or post-paid food courts are generally an easy way to get exposed to the various dishes for lunch - this where a lot of Thai people will have lunch. For dinner, look for neighborhood markets which usually have a good choice either in or nearby owing to the proximity to fresh/wet market goods.

http://www.thaistreetfood.com/

http://www.enjoythaifood.com/thai-street-food/index.html

http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2012/01/7-top-thai-food-blogs-to-follow-in-2012/

http://importfood.com/vendor_video/thai_street_vendor_videos.html

Really, if you have to ask what to try, you probably should get a Thai friend to accompany you and introduce you to the real thing. Most farangs only know chicken rice, pad Thai, fried rice, etc. It's no reflection on them, but the Thai people know best. Have your friend write down (in Thai) the things you like, and/or try to remember how they are pronounced.

Have fun.

You are most informative and your reponse is 'spot on'. Good job. Keep your replies coming.

Sukhumvit Soi 38 offers a huge variety of street food of reasonable quality.

My personal favourite is the chicken rice stall outside Emporium near Soi 24 junction. Best I have tried but get there early as they usually sell out by 2030

Recommended this area as well. Try noodle at the corner one with the fresh mix fruit juice! Miss that!

I love Silom walking street at night. It s full of food stalls offering local delicacies. Take BTS and get off at Saladeang Station , walk past Silom Complex toward Convent road and there you go. One of my most favorite dishes is seafood rice soup at the stall just in front of Starbucks shop on Convent road, its ridiculously yum.