You Get What You Pay For (Sometimes)

DD13

Whilst I don't have any complaints with the medical treatment at BPH..... I have just been prescribed a 25m tube of Counterpain Plus which can be bought in the UK for 250 baht....afterwards on checking my invoice.....BPH price 945 baht "ouch" that hurts more than my broken rib

Tip 1: When you speak with the doctor, tell him/her you wish to buy your meds outside the hospital.

Tip 2: Get a membership with Faschino pharmacy (3 branches but the biggest next to city hall on north Pattaya road). Mine was free for whatever reason and enjoy very healthy discounts. They also can make up bulk orders.

Failing that, a friend claims the pharmacy on floor G at Central is inexpensive.

Tip 3: NEVER buy your meds at the hospital when avoidable.

Tip 1: When you speak with the doctor, tell him/her you wish to buy your meds outside the hospital.

Tip 2: Get a membership with Faschino pharmacy (3 branches but the biggest next to city hall on north Pattaya road). Mine was free for whatever reason and enjoy very healthy discounts. They also can make up bulk orders.

Failing that, a friend claims the pharmacy on floor G at Central is inexpensive.

Tip 4: Have adequate health insurance that covers the costs of meds.

• Like 1

Tip #1 do not tell the doctor you want meds outside the hospital

once you have finished, go to pharmacy,

when they tell you how much you owe, ask them to print an itemised bill

once done tell them to print another without any medication

keep the first bill

go to Fascino show them the first bill with the meds on it

instant prescription.........

Both my doctor and the one I take my daughter to at BPH have asked without prompting if I want to buy medicines outside the hospital and have given me prescriptions accordingly.

Doubt if you need a prescription for Counterpain anyway ....

I can never understand some of these posts.If somebody wants to go for a few beers in a cheap place,they are accusded of being a cheap charlie,but its ok to get a cheap flight or try and get medical stuff cheaper.

• Like 1

over charging on meds is a common business practice when it comes private hosptials worldwide, so nothing unsual in what BHP is doing, its not a scam on farangs etc. The business model assumes people using private hosptials have private medical insurance, so typically what the hospital is charging is typically between the hospital and the insurance company and yes both try and screw each other

I know a lot of posters from the UK are used to 8-12 quid, or what ever it is now for a script from the NHS and have never been exposed to having to pay for private medical treatment, but the point is you dont have to take the meds from a private hosptial, just get the script and get them somewhere else, of course some meds you will only be able to get from hosptial.

And you think its ok for the health insurance to pay the inflated prices. You don't think they will know about it and make sure premiums are high enough to cover it.

Just avoid the hospital pharmacies maybe they will learn from it.

I can never understand some of these posts.If somebody wants to go for a few beers in a cheap place,they are accusded of being a cheap charlie,but its ok to get a cheap flight or try and get medical stuff cheaper.

Maybe because drinking a beer is a choice but in most cases taking medicine is not a choice but you will have to.

Regretfully its not only Hospitals that charge more for medicine, just last week one of my cats was bitten by one of the other cats, I took it to the local vet and was charged 400 baht for 20 Danzen tabs, the cost outside is 20 baht for a strip of ten. Regretfully I never checked the bill or looked at what was in the bag until I got home.

you don't but you would for something like Insulin

at BPH x1 ampoule 985 baht

Fascino with discount x5 ampoules 1595 baht

Actually you don't need a prescription for insulin in Thailand. You can buy it at any pharmacy that sells it. I have been buying mine here for 12 years now all over Thailand.

Thanks to everyone for all your responses, which made enjoyable and informative reading (and some very humerous)

I guess that we all get taken for a ride sometimes, but some good advice for me from you

I saw counterpain plus in a shop window in Bangkok today 1,240 baht I didn't see the actual quantity as the shop was yet to open, but it looked as if it could be 150ml ( same size as a large toothpaste )

ps. although I paid cash I do have insurance ( i guess that I have had too much sun and it has addled my brain)

..... The active ingredient in "Counterpain" cream is Diclofenac, originally marketed as Voltaren. An old, old drug, not protected anymore by any copyrights.

It should be max. 50 Baht a tube, not 985!

Edited by Rimmer

I would agrue against Tip 4, the cost for insurance which includes meds is going to be very much more than one without, better to take an med insurance which covers major injury or illness only. Costs for xrays, consult, medication is not huge. Voluntary excess of 1000 USD would be sufficient

Mostly they will give Pfizer meds as they get the most kick backs from them, but they are way more expensive than the generics, always get meds outside, when you show list of meds to Fasicino ask them for generics otherwise you will get the Pfizer product again at double the price.

Reference Fascino meds the membership card comes free when you spend i think its 150 baht, either way not a lot.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic boardering on libel