Violent Crime And The Australian Tourist: Some Research On The Peter Hulands Incident

Phronesis

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never had a problem with getting or having a drink in Pubs/ hotels or taverns in Australia and never been given a plastic glass i must go to the wrong type of premises

Better type of premisessmile.png

Why is it that we seldom hear of Chinese / Hong Kong / Taiwanese / Singaporean / Malaysian / Korean / Japanese tourists being beaten up?

i could be wrong but most europeans,yanks and aussies,seem to have a inbuilt aggresive streak in them,and a bit of a master race syndrome,

OR, of course it could be that Thais have far more respect for other Asians (deserved or not) (kissin kin and all that). Whites are different (they're NOT one of us!)!

I have never had a problem with getting or having a drink in Pubs/ hotels or taverns in Australia and never been given a plastic glass i must go to the wrong type of premises

Fremantle most pubs serve out of plastic cups...all pubs have to after 10pm..not sure about restaurants..pier hotel in Port Hedland its the white plastic kiddie cups for spirits. No double shots in mixed drinks...no shot glasses any more...any 'neat spirits' are served over ice...you could make the 'rules of australian pubs' into a novel....i hope phuket never ends up this way...but the actions of isolated mugs could change that

I have lived here for 24yrs, 20yrs in Patong moved away to Kathu.

I'm Australian I have only been involved in 1 incident with a Tuk Tuk driver 15yrs ago and that was because I didn't keep my mouth shut, I should have walked away lesson learnt... sometimes a hard thing to do but confrontation with a local entrepreneur will ultimately end in violence.

Not defending the tuk tuk drivers but can you imagine the <deleted> they have to deal with 24/7.

To be offended by a lurid comment to your tg from another guy in a place like Patong just cracks me up I mean please get a grip!

Patong is full of alcohol fuelled bravado and it effects every race & colour, I don't think Australians are being singled out to be assaulted but I do think they would be best to keep the trap shut and walk on bye go have another drink & enjoy what fantasy island has to offer.

• Like 2

I'm Australian I have only been involved in 1 incident with a Tuk Tuk driver 15yrs ago and that was because I didn't keep my mouth shut, I should have walked away lesson learnt... sometimes a hard thing to do but confrontation with a local entrepreneur will ultimately end in violence.

Not defending the tuk tuk drivers but can you imagine the <deleted> they have to deal with 24/7.

To be offended by a lurid comment to your tg from another guy in a place like Patong just cracks me up I mean please get a grip!

Patong is full of alcohol fuelled bravado and it effects every race & colour, I don't think Australians are being singled out to be assaulted but I do think they would be best to keep the trap shut and walk on bye go have another drink & enjoy what fantasy island has to offer.

The drivers need to be educated that falangs get sick to death of hearing the moronic chant of 'tuk tuk' 'taxi taxi' when its quite clear that Patong is Thailands biggest exclusive car park for these type of vehicles.

Fremantle most pubs serve out of plastic cups...all pubs have to after 10pm..not sure about restaurants..pier hotel in Port Hedland its the white plastic kiddie cups for spirits. No double shots in mixed drinks...no shot glasses any more...any 'neat spirits' are served over ice...you could make the 'rules of australian pubs' into a novel....i hope phuket never ends up this way...but the actions of isolated mugs could change that

Never out drinking alcohol after 10PM unless in a restaurant, the esplanade hotel and the brewery pub on the waterfront in fremantle were both using glasses 18 months ago, not interested in venues that have to have bouncers at the door to control the twits who go to this type of establishment

I enjoy the company of decent people not loud mouth drunks looking for a argument

Pubs in Australia don't have Thai hookers. If there were, nobody would be aggressive or violent because they are getting laid.

That's the problem.

Things have probably changed but there used to be plenty of dark skinned hookers hanging around the pubs in Fremantle that seamen frequently use Edited by petercallen
  • Like 1

Never out drinking alcohol after 10PM unless in a restaurant, the esplanade hotel and the brewery pub on the waterfront in fremantle were both using glasses 18 months ago, not interested in venues that have to have bouncers at the door to control the twits who go to this type of establishment

I enjoy the company of decent people not loud mouth drunks looking for a argument

Ill have to try the SP....never been there...little creatures was always too busy for my liking

The entire incident could have been avoided if the BF just had a laugh and walked on by.

The entire incident could have been avoided if the BF just had a laugh and walked on by.

The entire incident could have been avoided if the tuk-tuk driver said nothing.

Also true.

the guy had probably heard the word tuk tuk and taxi 5000 times that day, I dont know about anyone else but its one of the biggest things that annoys me about Patong.

Yes, that's just it Karen These no-class, brain-dead, alcoholic-addled Thais can't help themselves. They want a reaction. They want trouble. They want an excuse to litterally kick the stuffing out of some westerner. It's sport. They've actually got absolutely nothing intelligent to say...just some smart-asre, trouble-provoking dumb-arse remark.

Unfortunately, the average (holidaying) westerner is unaware that by "taking the bait" they will be set upon by many, kicked and punched within an inch of his life, left for dead, and the authorities will do S.F.A.

P.S.

"Wellcome To Thailand"

Edited by barky

The Aussie was offended by words, he resorted to grabbing the "tuk tuk driver by the neck." Sorry but that's wrong move in Patong or most anywhere else in the world.

The Aussie was offended by words, he resorted to grabbing the "tuk tuk driver by the neck." Sorry but that's wrong move in Patong or most anywhere else in the world.

Yes especially when Tuk Tuk drivers act the same as a pack of Soi/street dogs

Yes especially when Tuk Tuk drivers act the same as a pack of Soi/street dogs

When the fight starts there is a often a war cry heard from these ice fueled morons, they yell 'maa moo' which translates (when you get the tones right) to dog fight, this attracts the other packs of men to join in....keep an ear out for that one and if you hear it ...leg it

• Like 1

I had an incident many moons ago, I had a fight with an old girlfriend at the old 'Laguna' near Nai Harn lake. I stormed out of the bamboo shack and (wrongly) hoiked my stubby into the bushes. A grand total of 5 drops of beer landed on some Thai guys Toyota Fortuna, I was quickly surrounded, I did a few sorrys and kor tort kaps, I even had to go against all my principles and heavily 'wai' them. Luckily I always leave my keys in the car, I pulled off a side step that would have made Peter Sterling proud and jumped in the car. A pursuit then unfolded with a couple of bikes and the fortuna chasing me through the back streets of Nai Harn, I lost them on the Wiset road though. My Canadian friend that was with me at the time went bush and hid until dawn and when the coast was clear he too jumped in his car and booted off....I saw the same Thai guys out many times after, perhaps loosing face or winning face only lasts a day or 2

Moral of the story is if you accidently F_k up be prepared to move and move quickly

Why is it that we seldom hear of Chinese / Hong Kong / Taiwanese / Singaporean / Malaysian / Korean / Japanese tourists being beaten up?

i could be wrong but most europeans,yanks and aussies,seem to have a inbuilt aggresive streak in them,and a bit of a master race syndrome,

Yes you could be wrong! I'll do you the service of presuming you are simply joking because if you are serious its one of the most ignorant sweeping generalisations i've ever read on here.

• Like 2

I'm Australian, 63 and have worked here for nearly 8 years. I actually feel safer walking through Bangkok at night than in sleepy little Hobart ! I remember a flight back to Thailand on a QANTAS plane and sitting next to me was a guy from NSW, he was proudly telling me as he swilled his beer how he was going to 'do' Walking St. in Pattaya. Across the aisle, three other Aussies in their wife beaters were loud, gauche and had no trouble convincing everyone how their collective IQ was at room temperature. I also have some Aussie friends here who are thoughtful, dignified and culturally aware. A recurring theme for me is how places like Patong attract a certain type, some are Aussies and some from other countries but they wear a badge of commonality; a total lack of grace, common sense and manners.

Good post...

.I have some Aussie friends and co-workers that are very smart and very polite..

That being said..

I was on a plane arriving to phuket loaded with drunken Aussie men and women all decked out in there finest tank tops and sandals??

loud rude to the crew ... bunch of bums they were...

then when going through immigration most of them did not have or fill out the immigration cards correctly slowed everybody up and the immigration officer was getting pissed at well...

very rude bunch for sure..

I have been following the tuk tuk melee with interest and from what i gather ....

The girl was wearing the ugly cat hat that she wears all the time and the tuk-tuk driver said "Nice Kitty" to her as she walked by (mai pin lai) ..

Then the drunken Aussie tuff guy went for tuk tuk guys throat.. then came back a while later for more punishment BIG MISTAKE...

Not very smart to do while in a foriegn country on holiday...

If somebody said Nice Kitty to my girlfriend walking around looking for attention with that stupid hat i would laugh it off and shake his hand for being funny, High five and keep walking. no big deal....

I'm Australian, 63 and have worked here for nearly 8 years. I actually feel safer walking through Bangkok at night than in sleepy little Hobart ! I remember a flight back to Thailand on a QANTAS plane and sitting next to me was a guy from NSW, he was proudly telling me as he swilled his beer how he was going to 'do' Walking St. in Pattaya. Across the aisle, three other Aussies in their wife beaters were loud, gauche and had no trouble convincing everyone how their collective IQ was at room temperature. I also have some Aussie friends here who are thoughtful, dignified and culturally aware. A recurring theme for me is how places like Patong attract a certain type, some are Aussies and some from other countries but they wear a badge of commonality; a total lack of grace, common sense and manners.

Good post...

.I have some Aussie friends and co-workers that are very smart and very polite..

That being said..

I was on a plane arriving to phuket loaded with drunken Aussie men and women all decked out in there finest tank tops and sandals??

then when going through immigration most of them did not have or fill out the immigration cards correctly slowed everybody up and the immigration officer was getting pissed at well...

I have been following the tuk tuk melee with interest and from what i gather ....

The girl was wearing the ugly cat hat that she wears all the time and the tuk-tuk driver said "Nice Kitty" to her as she walked by (mai pin lai) ..

Then the drunken Aussie tuff guy went for tuk tuk guys throat.. then came back a while later for more punishment BIG MISTAKE...

If somebody said Nice Kitty to my girlfriend walking around looking for attention with that stupid hat i would laugh it off and shake his hand for being funny, High five and keep walking. no big deal....

I read a bit different account in the news source not to be mention on TV and is posted in rule 31 of the forum rules. It said the driver had said "nice pussy." Peter Hulands took offense to the comment and grabbed the driver by his throat so the driver punched him in the face. Peter went away, but came back and kicked a different driver in the groin. He was then beaten by the one he grabbed, the one he kicked and another. This was according to testimony in court, the article said.

Good post...

That being said..

I read a bit different account in the news source not to be mention on TV and is posted in rule 31 of the forum rules. It said the driver had said "nice pussy." Peter Hulands took offense to the comment and grabbed the driver by his throat so the driver punched him in the face. Peter went away, but came back and kicked a different driver in the groin. He was then beaten by the one he grabbed, the one he kicked and another. This was according to testimony in court, the article said.

Plus he couldn't remember any detail as was drunk