Koh Phangan - Malaria?

not that i am calling you a liar i just want to be sure before i panic and lock my kids up. Are you sure these people have malaria also if they do have this sickness is it possible to narrow down the location where they caught it,

Malaria, is a sickness caused by mosquito bites same as Dengue fever. Last time I looked it wasn't contagious. Adequate protection is advised.

Dengue is actually wide spread on Phangan, Malaria I am not sure...... Many hospitals on Samui have several rooms occupied with patients suffering from Dengue.

Locking your kids in won't help......unless the room is totally sealed off.......it is not contagious anyway......only way to contract is by direct bite of an infected mosquito.

Haven't heard of anyone with malaria.

I heard rumors of a couple people getting malaria on the east coast side about ten years ago but since you can contract it at any time and get sick months (or even years) later there is no guarantee they actually got bitten by malarial mosquitoes on the island. My nephew got malaria when he was about 7 I guess but he had contracted it on the mainland and only had a minor illness then, got much sicker a year or so later when it popped back up.

http://www.malaria.com/questions/malaria-return

My neighbor got chikungunya (er spelling?) a couple of years ago, but again, he had been on the mainland where they have it so not sure he got it there or here.

Dengue is prevalent.

locking your kids up isn't much help, try mosquito repellent.

When I was living on KP in 2007 - 2008 there were several Thai's and Burmese who came down with Malaria, in the Maehaad area. Locals are generally more likely to get it because they don't use repellents.

At that time, the incident was reported to the local hospital and within a day or so they FOGGED the area with fermions, (not sure if spell check got that word right!!!) ...... to render the male mosquitoes impediment.... thus reducing the population of mossies.....

Interestingly I've found there to be very few mosquitoes around my area of Samui so far this year, if there is one around it will usually find me, rolleyes.gif but not the case... They did fog around Maenam( Samui) last year after cases of Malaria were reported....

So out-breaks do crop up from time to time.... wink.png use repellents! I find Citronella works well for me.... thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Malaria, is a sickness caused by mosquito bites same as Dengue fever. Last time I looked it wasn't contagious. Adequate protection is advised.

Dengue is actually wide spread on Phangan, Malaria I am not sure...... Many hospitals on Samui have several rooms occupied with patients suffering from Dengue.

Locking your kids in won't help......unless the room is totally sealed off.......it is not contagious anyway......only way to contract is by direct bite of an infected mosquito.

I know I cannot lock kids up but I know that once someone has caught dengue fever the location where they were bitten normally keeps infected Mosquitos in other. Words the area stays infected and becomes a dengue fever hot spot

In 2005 i got dengue on koh Phangan in seethanu, where i still live, there was an outbreak at that moment.

I never use repellents, they come every year with the "smoke" machines, I doubt it is a hotspot of dengue here.

I hear more about people having dengue then malaria

Edited by baco

In 2005 i got dengue on koh Phangan in seethanu, where i still live, there was an outbreak at that moment.

I never use repellents, they come every year with the "smoke" machines, I doubt it is a hotspot of dengue here.

I hear more about people having dengue then malaria

Once a year is not enough. I have my villlas 'fogged' once a month and we still get the little blighters.

"The length of life of the adult mosquito usually depends on several factors: temperature, humidity, sex of the mosquito and time of year. Most males live a very short time, about a week; and females live about a month depending on the above factors."