Washing Machine Just Went Toes Up...

just_another_guy

Well not totally. I have a duel tub washer, one side/tub washes and then you manually transfer the clothes to the "spinner" tub to extract the majority of the water.

The beast is over four years old and has made the trip back and forth to Issan twice, so it has been banged around some in the back of the pick-up.

The last six months I have noticed a "squeal" from the spinner once it gets up to speed (bearing(s)??? but a hard slam/shake stops the squealing for a few spinning cycles---but then the squealing starts again---a few more shakes and it corrects itself.

Today the spinner just stopped spinning right in the middle of a load of clothes.

Yes, it has served me well and yes, I could just take the easy way out and buy a new one ----But I enjoy playing around with stuff like this and thought maybe someone could suggest some ideas besides buying a new one.

***** Okay----from here on I will get a little technical so no need to read unless you enjoy fixing things like I do *****

The machine has three knobs...one controls the timing/power of the wash cycle, the middle knob controls the type of wash (gentle or normal) and the drain function. The third (right hand knob) is the timer/power control for the spinner tub.

My first thought and action was to remove the top front panel and check the wires....all looks good to me.

Second step was to removed the back panel (rear of the machine) and check for loose wires--all looks OK except......

----The knob that controls the timer/power function of the spinner tub, has a small cable (like piano wire) that connects to the bottom of the spinner shaft and controls the clutch. What it actually does is stops the spinner tub very quickly when you open the top lid....kind of a safety feature as the spinner does rotate fairly fast once it gets up to speed.

What happens is when you close the top lid to the spinner tub, the wire dis-engages the clutch allowing the spinner shaft to rotate and the electrical relay switch closes turning on the motor to the spinner.

This piano wire was rusted badly and was not connected to the clutch when I first opened and looked into the rear panel. So I figured---easy to fix....as the clutch was engaged and not allowing the shaft to rotate and was why the spinner tub wasn't spinning.

I by-passed this safety feature by connecting a wire to the clutch (dis-engaging the clutch) closed the top lid and plugged in the power cord, turned the timer switch on fully expecting the spinner tub to spin...... NOTHING HAPPENED.

I know I should check the electric current to make sure power is getting to the motor, but I don't feel comfortable playing around with live electric current.

The shaft to the spinner tub turns manually by hand one way, but going the opposite direction it is very stiff and difficult to turn...is this a sign of the bearing(s) being worn out?

QUESTION: Is there an easy way to check an electrical motor without actually removing the motor and applying power to it?

Without any further ideas from you fine folks here, my next step will be to just give up and take it to Numchai and see what he can do.

And yes, believe it or not, I actually enjoy fooling around with projects like this----but I have reached my level of competence at this point and open for suggestions except for buying a new washer----that will be my last resort.

Cheers

PS: I could post a photo of the inside back of the machine if that would help anyone who cares to pursue this further.

5555 yes tried the same disconnection of the clutch routine on MILS washer/dryer..no deal..yet there is no switch that I could see.

So just replaced the old rusted clutch cable with another bit of steel wire..started working ..so closed up and drunk the beer she bought...

Just tried fixing the dogs' food rice cooker...same same lots of linkages everyplace...gave up and binned it..555..Like trying to fix a pop up toaster.....

the squealing was the clutch or was it the belt? the stiffness may well be the clutch?

Edited by David006

haha I love fixing crap too. What you need to do is get a buddy and a couple cases of beer then hit the garage and rip the thing apart, spread the parts all over the place (drinking beers and discussing it through-out). When you have it completely in pieces you both need to sit back in your chairs, continue to drink until it all makes sense the suddenly get up, put all the parts in the tumbler and have your buddy help you drag it out front to the garbage area in front of your house.

I know it won't fix it but what a great day you had with a buddy talking mechanics ALSO it will give you something to do they day you are hung over........go to Big-C and buy a new one for 5k

Yeah I have been there with several mechanical items here in LOS. smile.png