Monitor Or Tv ?

worgeordie

I need to buy a new monitor,about 24 inch,but need advice from

you clever people,who know about these things,

Could I use a 24 inch LED LCD tv ,one of the main reasons is

because I would like to mount a nettop computer to the back

of the tv /monitor ,to make it like an All in one.while most of

the tv s have the mounting holes, lots of the monitors do not.

So heres the question would the tv be as good as a monitor,

with reference to the picture, and reading the screen,it will

be connected from computer to screen by HMDI cable.

Look forward to your replies ,before I make mistake and buy

the wrong thing.

regards Worgeorgie

also, depending on price range, monitors are often IPS while TV's will be TN panel, so your angles should be better and brighter on the monitor for a cheaper price than a similar sized TV... and refresh rate on a monitor will be faster... make sure to look into these specs and your needs before buying.

Edited by happysanook

yes it will be as good as a monitor.

Sorry, totally disagree... TVs are great for displaying moving pictures, monitors are great for static displays like on your computer. That's why monitors are more expensive than the same size TVs. I have a HTPC connected to an Sony 40" TV and it's great quality playing movies on VLC, but I do get a headache just doing anything else on this setup for longer then 30 minutes. Yes, it can be adjusted to display your PC desktop clearly, but then movies look crap. I would never consider editing any pictures on a TV. But if your main objective is to watch movies, youtube and such, then definitely worth the cheaper price.

• Like 1

yes it will be as good as a monitor.

Sorry, totally disagree... TVs are great for displaying moving pictures, monitors are great for static displays like on your computer. That's why monitors are more expensive than the same size TVs. I have a HTPC connected to an Sony 40" TV and it's great quality playing movies on VLC, but I do get a headache just doing anything else on this setup for longer then 30 minutes. Yes, it can be adjusted to display your PC desktop clearly, but then movies look crap. I would never consider editing any pictures on a TV. But if your main objective is to watch movies, youtube and such, then definitely worth the cheaper price.

this will all come down to resolution and to a lesser extent panel type. OP looking at 24", which if he gets 1080p will be fine for desktop work as already posted by Crossy.

on another note, regarding my earlier post about refresh rate, I was incorrect. TV's will often have a higher refresh rate than monitors.

Edited by happysanook

On a 24" monitor you can get higher resolutions than 1920 x 1024 and higher refresh rates so quality will be better on the monitor if you mainly using to watch movies and TV programs rather than Computer work I think the TV will be fine.

some people only use 1920 x 1024 resultion any way if you do then not much difference. I am use a 40 HD Samsung TV on my Media centre here in BKK and I some times use this for other "computer work and it is fine but I still miss my super high res 23.5" monitor which is in storage back in Australia.

I'm not one of the "clever" ones but I tried a similar route.

Mrs. 19" laptop finally crapped out on us so I purchased a new Samsung 22" monitor and connected a Dell Netbook we had, to it. VGA, no DVI/HDMI output available.

She likes to play those on-line Facebook games and the result was really slow performance with that, and just running the Netbook period, while on its own, using the built in native monitor, it does just fine for what it is.

Thought it was choking because it had to push out video signal to such a larger monitor size? Ended up putting another CPU out there for her to use with the new monitor.

J

I've got a 24" Toshiba Regza and a 32" Samsung, both TV's with full HD (1920 x 1080) and both of them are great as monitors and TV's.

I did have to look carefully to make sure they were full HD and they have PC inputs as a lot of the newer and cheaper TV's are "HD Ready" and/or don't have PC VGA inputs. Both of them have USB inputs so I use a video player to watch hundreds of hours of video on a hard drive or several hours on a USB chip.

Can't speak for viewing angle since I have them set so I'm looking straight on all the time. But I'm very happy with the performance of both.

• Like 1

You will find that 24" PC monitors generally have an aspect ratio of 16:10, as compared to 16:9 for TVs. This will give the monitors higher resolution of 1920x1200. HD TVs have 1920x1080. This translates to more real estate for your desktop. Great for viewing PDF and other documents in two page view mode, more space for the spreadsheets, and whatever else you do...

Apart from that, TVs have software in place that will enhance moving pictures, make them look more "vibrant" and "saturated", eg SONYs BRAVIA technology. This, IMO, renders the picture quality from the PC to become substandard, apart from playing havoc the with color space. Hence, never use a TV to edit your precious digital family photos and images.

But if the majority of the activities is watching movies on your PC, then TVs are great, and cheaper.

• Like 1

You will find that 24" PC monitors generally have an aspect ratio of 16:10, as compared to 16:9 for TVs. This will give the monitors higher resolution of 1920x1200. HD TVs have 1920x1080. This translates to more real estate for your desktop. Great for viewing PDF and other documents in two page view mode, more space for the spreadsheets, and whatever else you do...

Apart from that, TVs have software in place that will enhance moving pictures, make them look more "vibrant" and "saturated", eg SONYs BRAVIA technology. This, IMO, renders the picture quality from the PC to become substandard, apart from playing havoc the with color space. Hence, never use a TV to edit your precious digital family photos and images.

But if the majority of the activities is watching movies on your PC, then TVs are great, and cheaper.

yes I would agree with this, if doing photo stuff... I tried that route (HDMI et all) the quality was not there... so it really comes down to what you are using it for...

But cheap monitors will not give you good photo image quality either... wink.png

I owen a Acer S Series LED S231HLBD' ? Very easy on the eyes also very clear also i paid 4600THB from Tesco Lotus on Acer website they are priced at 5490THB so not bad discount also going for another one today and once i've got another GPU i will buy one more for a quad monitor set up for gaming .. tongue.png

Link http://www.acer.co.th/ac/th/TH/content/model/ET.VS1HA.005

Edited by Notstupid30

You will find that 24" PC monitors generally have an aspect ratio of 16:10, as compared to 16:9 for TVs. This will give the monitors higher resolution of 1920x1200. HD TVs have 1920x1080.

You have that reversed actually. Most widescreen PC monitors are 16:9, at least what's available in Thailand. I spent a lot of time trying to find a 16:10 (1920x1200) here as I need the additional vertical space and ended up ordering a Dell U2410.

You will find that 24" PC monitors generally have an aspect ratio of 16:10, as compared to 16:9 for TVs. This will give the monitors higher resolution of 1920x1200. HD TVs have 1920x1080.

You have that reversed actually. Most widescreen PC monitors are 16:9, at least what's available in Thailand. I spent a lot of time trying to find a 16:10 (1920x1200) here as I need the additional vertical space and ended up ordering a Dell U2410.

Not bad for 18500THB i just seen on the net also reponese time is 6M ? Mines a 5m and at 15,000thb you could get three of mine and still walk out with change but at the end of the day it's your choice anything over that sort of money may as well get a 32inch or 40inch ..

As i'm seat at the computer for more then 14 hours a day this doe's me fine in all truth and simple to look at ?

Edited by Notstupid30

Not bad for 18500THB i just seen on the net also reponese time is 6M ? Mines a 5m and at 15,000thb you could get three of mine and still walk out with change but at the end of the day it's your choice anything over that sort of money may as well get a 32inch or 40inch ..

You are talking apples and oranges though. The Dell is an IPS panel not a TFT panel and a larger viewing area. Also, it has a built in universal card reader which I use often for my camera cards, a USB hub allowing me to connect my keyboard/mouse/flash drive directly to it, multiple inputs such as dual DVI, HDMI, etc. and PIP capability. So yes, more expensive but for a reason. I do a lot of graphics work, video editing and electronic design work and it works very well for that. Also I do play high end games on it and it is certainly fast enough.

All comes down to what your specific needs are. And as I mentioned, I need the 16:10 and those were not easy to find except for the very high end professional units at 3-5 times the price.

You are talking apples and oranges though. The Dell is an IPS panel not a TFT panel and a larger viewing area. Also, it has a built in universal card reader which I use often for my camera cards, a USB hub allowing me to connect my keyboard/mouse/flash drive directly to it, multiple inputs such as dual DVI, HDMI, etc. and PIP capability. So yes, more expensive but for a reason. I do a lot of graphics work, video editing and electronic design work and it works very well for that. Also I do play high end games on it and it is certainly fast enough.

All comes down to what your specific needs are. And as I mentioned, I need the 16:10 and those were not easy to find except for the very high end professional units at 3-5 times the price.

Yea very true what ur saying also if he wanted to use all his other hardware just get a dvi to hdmi splitter box cheap enough really with a remote control that's what i'm thinking off doing instead of buying another Nvida card just a shame they don't do what AMD ATI cards do what support 3 led screens ..

banana it got a new Acer led screen in what supports hdmi reponese time is 2M http://www.bananait.com/product.php?productid=20897&cat=275&page=1 price is 5300 ..

You are correct in that the 16:10 is rare in monitors smaller than 20". But the OP question was on the 24" and that what I was answering. When you get to that size, the PC monitors will be relatively more expensive, but they will also have more features. The Dell you mentioned has a card reader, couple of USB ports, it can be rotated, but more important is the compatibility with the industry standard color spaces, like AdobeRGB, sRGB, etc. That is what you are paying for in this monitor, but that was your requirement when you were looking for a monitor. That would be mine requirement too and I would be willing to pay extra for that. Dell has another 24" monitor with similar specs, the U2412M, which costs 40% less, but doesn't boast the color space compatibility.

I agree with you that the Thai market is rather poor in 16:10 monitors. That, IMO, comes to the pure marketing gimmick. Somehow "Widescreen Full HD!!!" sounds much better than '24" 1920x1200 PremierColor'.

There also seems to be some preoccupation with size. Bigger is not always better when in comes to working with PC monitors. You typically sit a meter or less from a PC monitor. At that distance 24" is about the limit of usability, in my eyes at least. This does not seem to apply to multimonitor setups, since each monitor is framed, it seems to be perceived as a separate entity. I spent some time sitting that close to my 40" TV while configuring the HTPC, but it was quite painful after some time. The TV picture is much brighter, and much pixelated at that distance making it rather tiresome to look at for a longer time.

Having said all that, it is great watching movies on 60" or larger from a comfortable 2-3 meters away!